Storage Solutions Wanted to build a NAS & want it to be accessible from anywhere.

Kunal2630

Recruit
Wanted to build a NAS & want it to be accessible from anywhere.
for the experimentation i've a desktop descent configuration but it'll be only for experimentation if it works i'll go for a Pi nas
Components will be
Pi 5 8gb
Sata hat
Sd card 128gb
and may be 2.5' ssd or hdd
but the main issue with this is i don't know which OS to use according to my research OMV fits according to my need but still don't know how can i be accessing it from anywhere in the world will be needed some guidance on how can i make my nas routable.

Pi 5 + nvme hat + micro sd. For stuff you don't require fast read write use external ssds. But if you're looking for mutiple hdds as main storage then sata hat makes more sense.

Generally I would suggest unraid (paid) or truenas scale for OS, both of which aren't supported for pi. So you can go for OMV or just Ubuntu server with openzfs.

Tailscale for remote access and NPM for reverse proxy.

If you're only using a Pi and not going into RAID, the default Pi OS lite (without the GUI) is a good option.

A simple SMB share will work well. Using Pi OS will allow you to also load other applications (like say Jellyfin/Immich). This might be available in OMV too though.

For RAID, it is better to use dedicated OSs since tinkering is easier. (It is possible on the Pi OS, but you might face a lot of problems trying to get everything to work)

Also, as @jayantyagi said ditch the SD card or make it read only. SD cards  will fail especially when used as an OS (writes will be higher)

Tailscale is an excellent choice for remote access.

If you're only using a Pi and not going into RAID, the default Pi OS lite (without the GUI) is a good option.

A simple SMB share will work well. Using Pi OS will allow you to also load other applications (like say Jellyfin/Immich). This might be available in OMV too though.

For RAID, it is better to use dedicated OSs since tinkering is easier. (It is possible on the Pi OS, but you might face a lot of problems trying to get everything to work)

Also, as @jayantyagi said ditch the SD card or make it read only. SD cards  will fail especially when used as an OS (writes will be higher)

Tailscale is an excellent choice for remote access.
By ditching the sd card what can i use do u suggest to use a ssd or hdd for the sharing as well for the os

By ditching the sd card what can i use do u suggest to use a ssd or hdd for the sharing as well for the os
Yes, use the SSD (and only SSD) as both the boot and storage drive.

But a con to this is that when you expand storage and decide to have a separate boot drive you would have to do your configs all over again (or move your storage from the boot drive to another SSD) and then make a copy of this drive.

OMV + Tailscale will do the job, but you will need to install tailscale separately, maybe in a container.

Optionally, if you have a VPS and can install wireguard, that would be a better option.

If you want something working out of the box, get a Synology box.

OMV + Tailscale will do the job, but you will need to install tailscale separately, maybe in a container.

Optionally, if you have a VPS and can install wireguard, that would be a better option.

If you want something working out of the box, get a Synology box.
Okk thank
no i dont want to have a synology box i want to build it by myself i personally dont believe in pre build n all that things thats why

+1 for Tailscale, but know this if you don't have a public IP, your traffic will go via Tailscale servers, which means your connection speed will be slower.
A workaround would be to host your own HeadScale (open source tailscale control server).

Nginx Proxy manager is good but beginners, more advanced would be Traefik & LinuxServer's SWAG.

You can get something like this for the SATA Hat

-1 for using SD Card for OS, it's slow AF and prone to failure over time with a lot of read/write, use Sata or Nvme SSD instead.

Also why not build an x86 NAS, unless you are going for something that sips power and budgetary constrains (I build mine under 50k with 12100F, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB NVMe boot, 8 TB HDD and an NVIDIA T600 GPU)

Tailscale's traffic doesn't go through DERP servers unless there is no other option.

Usually traffic is routed directly and you shouldn't face speed drops in your connection. Tailscale has a robust NAT transversal and in my experience has rarely ever needed DERP (or relay servers)

The only information reaching tailscale servers would be the public IP and port of the 2 devices attempting to connect.

When via DERP your connection would still be end to end encrypted. Tailscale would be able to see all your encrypted traffic.

Edit - @guest_999, yes this does apply to CGNAT too. Usually DERP is used when connections are not possible (like a very restrictive firewall that drops UDP packets  and prevents UPnP.)

Even when using DERP as long you have a <150 Mbps connection, you will have stable speeds without any penalty (you might have stable speeds at higher bandwidth too, but I haven't tested beyond 150 Mbps)

More reading - https://tailscale.com/kb/1257/connection-types

-------End of edit-------

As for SD cards, as mentioned in my first post, SD cards fail when you use them for write heavy applications such as that of an OS.

Last edited:
Tailscale's traffic doesn't go through DERP servers unless there is no other option.

Usually traffic is routed directly and you shouldn't face speed drops in your connection. Tailscale has a robust NAT transversal and in my experience has rarely ever needed DERP (or relay servers)
Will this apply to CGNAT connections too?

+1 for Tailscale, but know this if you don't have a public IP, your traffic will go via Tailscale servers, which means your connection speed will be slower.
A workaround would be to host your own HeadScale (open source tailscale control server).

Nginx Proxy manager is good but beginners, more advanced would be Traefik & LinuxServer's SWAG.

You can get something like this for the SATA Hat

-1 for using SD Card for OS, it's slow AF and prone to failure over time with a lot of read/write, use Sata or Nvme SSD instead.

Also why not build an x86 NAS, unless you are going for something that sips power and budgetary constrains (I build mine under 50k with 12100F, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB NVMe boot, 8 TB HDD and an NVIDIA T600 GPU)
N what if i'm having a public ip?

Yes. Tailscale and Zerotier works behind CGNAT.
I meant regarding this:

Back