Budget 90k+ Water-cooled mini-ITX build

This is gonna be some rogueish beauty build.

Actually, the plans are all changing. I started reading reviews and started gaming again on my brother's PC and I don't think the mini-ITX will suffice me. I am now looking at either micro-ATX or even an e-ATX board if I could get the EVGA Z87 classified. The budget has also increased and I am definitely going for a 3-monitor setup and a Racing Wheel.
I will be buying a 780 now and adding another 2 months later.

Quick suggestions needed regarding monitors.

1) 3 x AOC i2757fh - AH-IPS 27" 1080p display. Has great performance. Only downside is that it can't be mounted to a multiple monitor stand. Read it's review here.

2) 3 x Dell U2412M - e-IPS display. The AOC has this beat in performance and size. Only feature I like is that it is a 16:10 diaplay and can be rotated and also used with a multi-monitor stand.

Price wise both configurations will cost me around 57k. I am leaning towards the AOC for it has AH-IPS and more real estate being a 27" panel.

Last edited:
Actually, the plans are all changing. I started reading reviews and started gaming again on my brother's PC and I don't think the mini-ITX will suffice me. I am now looking at either micro-ATX or even an e-ATX board ......

Hmmm...... (was silently waiting for this) :rolleyes:

I chose the CM-Storm Stryker way back in Sept-12 (there are other beauties out there too) & air-cooled with the Noctua & it is truly silent (although everyone was surprised why I did not go the liquid route). No regrets. I have 7TB of HDD's inside and there is still room for another 3 more HDD's (which I plan to add after a year or so ...when 4TB or more prices stabilise). My 4 ram slots are occupied with 16GB, so I am screwed there (will have to swap all of them in case I feel the need for 24 or 32GB in future). All this is connected also to a 47" LED via HDMI for gaming (other brats use it - gaming) and watching movies, otherwise I have the U2312.

Now your overall build is even shaping better with a 3-monitor setup etc. Look at the 'larger' picture & do not have any fixed or rigid plans (a budget of your type should not be wasted).

As for the display, do consider this option:

Do consider the $300 odd 27inchers from Korea you can get off of EBay. I just got myself a similar PLS panel and I'm very very happy with it. Will be posting impressions and pictures this weekend.

There are a few others who've gotten these Korean 27 inchers off-lately and they have all been content with the IQ of the display and the build quality. For three units, this might end up cheaper than the Dells but as it holds with any other piece of electronic stuff - reliability might be a gamble! The inputs are also fewer than the Dells IINM.

@viralbug - some inputs from your unit please?

As for the display, do consider this option:

There are a few others who've gotten these Korean 27 inchers off-lately and they have all been content with the IQ of the display and the build quality. For three units, this might end up cheaper than the Dells but as it holds with any other piece of electronic stuff - reliability might be a gamble! The inputs are also fewer than the Dells IINM.

@viralbug - some inputs from your unit please?

For a single monitor setup, I would definitely have considered it. For a triple monitor setup, this would be overkill for sure, because even a dual 780 setup will be tested at the 5760x1080 resolution. The AOC is a really nice monitor and has a really minimal bezel which is perfect for a multi-monitor setup. The only problem with it is that isn't VESA compatible, which is very strange.
Is there any kinda attachment available which can convert a normal monitor into VESA compatible.

Hmmm...... (was silently waiting for this) :rolleyes:

I chose the CM-Storm Stryker way back in Sept-12 (there are other beauties out there too) & air-cooled with the Noctua & it is truly silent (although everyone was surprised why I did not go the liquid route). No regrets. I have 7TB of HDD's inside and there is still room for another 3 more HDD's (which I plan to add after a year or so ...when 4TB or more prices stabilise). My 4 ram slots are occupied with 16GB, so I am screwed there (will have to swap all of them in case I feel the need for 24 or 32GB in future). All this is connected also to a 47" LED via HDMI for gaming (other brats use it - gaming) and watching movies, otherwise I have the U2312.

Now your overall build is even shaping better with a 3-monitor setup etc. Look at the 'larger' picture & do not have any fixed or rigid plans (a budget of your type should not be wasted).

How do you find the 47 incher for gaming.
I am really torn between the triple monitor setup or a 42" LG IPS display. Add to that I found a Korean 30" 1600p monitor for the same price as this LG 42".
The graphics card choices have also been thrown wide open by the $300 price reduction on the HD 7990.I can get one for 56k from Amazon(shipping and customs incl) which is amazing VFM considering the 780 is around 50k.

I really thought that having a big budget would make it easy but it is actually more difficult to make a choice now. Add to that, that this build will be liquid cooled so I have to make choices keeping compatibility and color-scheme in mind.:banghead:

How do you find the 47 incher for gaming.

It's awesome... gives you a true cinema feel. And I have only a Asus 660Ti - Direct CUII [not a 670 or sli rig :cool:

However I would never recommend this as a primary set-up. One need'd to have a normal 22-24" monitor for routine day-to-day work.

I really thought that having a big budget would make it easy but it is actually more difficult to make a choice now.

Always the case bro - larger the budget, then the choices get harder. You gotta think hard & know precisely the reason why you need to pick component-X (since each of these parts are pricey), and even among quality components which is the 'best'?

Add to that, that this build will be liquid cooled so I have to make choices keeping compatibility and color-scheme in mind.:banghead:

Did you also factor in the 'ambient lighting in your room' :nailbiting:

It's awesome... gives you a true cinema feel. And I have only a Asus 660Ti - Direct CUII [not a 670 or sli rig :cool:

However I would never recommend this as a primary set-up. One need'd to have a normal 22-24" monitor for routine day-to-day work.

I really wanna go for the large screen + cheap monitor combo.
1) Even though the screen is big, it is still just 1080p which means any good single graphics card(7990, 780, Titan) will be more than enough for ultra settings. Furthermore I can just upgrade the card every year or so and be done with it which is not possible in an SLI setup.
2) I hardly play FPS in which the lag can be an issue.
3) A large screen is not only good for gaming but you can enjoy movies and most importantly for me - football matches in HD.

The LG TV I looked at is 120Hz so that can be a good thing as well. Though reviews say that it doesn't have the option to change the refresh rate like other TVs have and I will be stuck with 120Hz which make the HD movies look a bit odd. It is available for 48k.

Did you also factor in the 'ambient lighting in your room' :nailbiting:

My room is pretty dark throughout the day. Dark curtains keep the sun out and the light is only switched on when needed.

I really wanna go for the large screen + cheap monitor combo.
1) Even though the screen is big, it is still just 1080p which means any good single graphics card(7990, 780, Titan) will be more than enough for ultra settings. Furthermore I can just upgrade the card every year or so and be done with it which is not possible in an SLI setup.
2) I hardly play FPS in which the lag can be an issue.
3) A large screen is not only good for gaming but you can enjoy movies and most importantly for me - football matches in HD.

The LG TV I looked at is 120Hz so that can be a good thing as well. Though reviews say that it doesn't have the option to change the refresh rate like other TVs have and I will be stuck with 120Hz which make the HD movies look a bit odd. It is available for 48k.

4K TV's are still way beyond the reach of normal citizens, so we have to make do with the existing sets which are all just below 2K resolutions.

I am using a 47LG-LE4600 (2010 edition) - The PQ is mind-blowing especially when we watch Blu-ray or full-HD movies (especially where there is no cropping). We can see literally every strand of hair so crystal sharp and clear. Our viewing distance is only 8-10 feet.

There are folks who will argue endlessly that a 47" and above needs longer viewing distances (but the optimum is just 5 feet !!!) ...... and I speak from being in the field of Films & TV for well over 22 years.

Today, we feel the 47" small and wish we had a 55" TV - so you see as time passes our needs also keep changing.

You should be looking at the largest screen size for the TV that you can afford - trust me you will NEVER regret the decision (I guess you are presently looking at a 42" LED ...... this is 'bloody small' !!!!).

If you have folks who can get you a 55" Panasonic Plasma from USA then go for it (none of those great models were ever launched in India....nor will they ever)

What I am missing out today is a 'great sound system' - my wife keeps pushing me for the Bose Companion 5 series (But I hate the design of the satellites). I am planning for an AVR ...... but another day.

YOU ARE BUILDING A GREAT RIG - but I do not think you are gonna game the whole day/night ONLY, so rule out the Tri-Monitor setup

Last edited:
Back