Water dripping from Sharp Inverter Split AC

vizz

Disciple
Hi,

I've been noticing water dripping from my split inverter 1.5T AC very rarely, like once every month or so. Today also I observed this. The outside drain pipe seems to be okay.i.e., pumping away condensed water. I bought the AC in last year May and I had observed this at least before 4 months. I've never serviced the AC even though Sharp was offering free services because there were no problems with the cooling. What could be the cause of it? Is the issue serious enough for me to call Sharp service person? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20150607_234657.jpg
    IMG_20150607_234657.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 2,920
Yes call the service personnel,
It needs to be cleaned thoroughly. Some black, soot like particles get accumulated near the internals. They'll clean it.

It used to be an occasional problem with my 9yr old Hyundai AC, never faced this with newer ACs.

It's not something serious but shouldn't occur.

Check if your AC has been installed at a slight angle so that water in the drain pan can flow towards the drain outlet.

One more possibility is that the hole for the refrigerant pipes is at that area, and isn't sealed or angled properly, so water from outside flows down the refrigerant pipes down your wall.

This is a normal phenomenon for split ACs in India, the outlet pipes if not serviced regularly get clogged with dust and impure water to the point where the water starts dripping from the unit rather than going through the outlet pipe. As others have mentioned, please do take AMC of ACs and call for regular servicing, I get it done once a month, or once in two months at the max.

Faced the same situation with my samsung split AC last month ,called up the support.

He told me to clean the dust on the filter and problem was solved .

Faced the same situation with my samsung split AC last month ,called up the support.

He told me to clean the dust on the filter and problem was solved .

The service person came some time back. There is lot of dust accumulated on the filter. He cleaned with water and put it back, sealed some part of the pipe with brown tape from where water just leaked when he pulled the AC from the bottom. He poured water after putting back the filters and there is no leakage of water. He inspected the ODU and the insulation foam is torn. He said because of rain, the water may go to the IDU through the insulation foam opening. When I asked him to close, he put the brown tape and sealed with a wire(?). They charged 550/- for this. He was surprised that I never availed the free services. I feel I can do the cleaning of filters myself once in a month after looking at what and how they have done. It seemed easy to get access to the filters.

The service person came some time back. There is lot of dust accumulated on the filter. He cleaned with water and put it back, sealed some part of the pipe with brown tape from where water just leaked when he pulled the AC from the bottom. He poured water after putting back the filters and there is no leakage of water. He inspected the ODU and the insulation foam is torn. He said because of rain, the water may go to the IDU through the insulation foam opening. When I asked him to close, he put the brown tape and sealed with a wire(?). They charged 550/- for this. He was surprised that I never availed the free services. I feel I can do the cleaning of filters myself once in a month after looking at what and how they have done. It seemed easy to get access to the filters.

If you are comfortable opening the unit and cleaning out the filters, that is fine. But, I strongly recommend you get an AMC and you will have them come and service once month, and also diagnose any issue that may arise.

If you are comfortable opening the unit and cleaning out the filters, that is fine. But, I strongly recommend you get an AMC and you will have them come and service once month, and also diagnose any issue that may arise.

Yeah, definitely I will call them once in 3-4 months. For every month, paying 550/- is a pain for this simple work. Sharp has not mentioned anything about AMC. Do you know how to take it?

Yeah, definitely I will call them once in 3-4 months. For every month, paying 550/- is a pain for this simple work. Sharp has not mentioned anything about AMC. Do you know how to take it?
Depends on your city man, you will have to request quotes from 2-3 vendors, get a quote from the company, then ask around for a few reputed vendors that do AC servicing (Google, Just Dial, ask friends). I am in Chennai and have used services of AC Zone and right now have signed up for Viveks platinum care, they cater to all electrical, plumbing, and carpentry related household chores.

Nope, AMC not required for household purposes.
I clean filters once a month myself and no issues whatsoever. It's simple and user doable according to any manual.
I do yearly service when I use ac for the first time after 2 - 3 months, usually starting of summers.

Don't take AMC if you can do it yourself. Hitachi comes with a model which can clean filter with single remote button. A trash tray can be cleaned once in 4 months.

Sharp also has a clean AC button. This feature is present in XP13LV and XP13PHT.

I have used this function in the XP13LV. It throws air at full speed of the blower for around 10-15mins. Also the ioniser turna on. I am not sure if it serves any actual purpose or not. But the manual recommends that we perform this function at the beginning of the summer season and at the end of the summer season (i.e just before and after the time period during which the AC won't be running for quite some months.)

Clean the filter as often as you can, depending on how much you use the AC and the dust conditions prevalent in your place. AC efficiency improves a lot with a clean filter. With a dusty filter, some of the dust gets drawn into the fins which becomes much harder to clean.

The 'clean' button in ACs is for air drying any condensate in the fins. This prevents mold/bacteria from building up.

I am in Chennai and have used services of AC Zone and right now have signed up for Viveks platinum care, they cater to all electrical, plumbing, and carpentry related household chores.
How has your experience been with both AC Zone and Viveks?

Clean the filter as often as you can, depending on how much you use the AC and the dust conditions prevalent in your place. AC efficiency improves a lot with a clean filter. With a dusty filter, some of the dust gets drawn into the fins which becomes much harder to clean.

The 'clean' button in ACs is for air drying any condensate in the fins. This prevents mold/bacteria from building up.

How has your experience been with both AC Zone and Viveks?
The Ac zone was during the warranty period, cause we had purchased the air conditioner from them, their service was okay.

The experience with viveks has been pleasantly surprising, they have been quite prompt with their service and their engineers are well versed with models.

Do any of the AMC services actually open up Condensor and Evaporator sections to check the fins (obstructions), fan speed, compressor, lubrication, heat transfer (using thermometers) (where the main meat and potatoes of AC are)?
Rest of the so called "servicing" (actually cleaning and wiping) can be done by even 5th class fail guy.

Inverter AC water dripping is high compared to normal split AC, as pressure of gas is high so it spreads water soon. another thing we have to change the gas every year/two in inverter ac due to this high pressure.

Inverter AC water dripping is high compared to normal split AC, as pressure of gas is high
It is possible that inverter ACs remove more humidity since they run continuously, but that has nothing to do with gas pressure.

we have to change the gas every year/two in inverter ac due to this high pressure.
AFAIK due to the properties of R410A gas, it is run at a higher pressure than the older R22 gas. However this is the same with all ACs using R410A - inverter or not. There is no valid reason to change gas just because its running at a higher pressure.
There are a lot of regular split ACs in India still using R22 gas, and Inverter ACs were among the first wave of ACs using R410A gas.. so its quite possible that someone has misinformed you in an attempt to get you to buy an older R22 gas based unit.

Back