Wd Hd Tv Player Is Here !!!!

OH MAN this player is awosme . i just tested 1080 and 720 p pure blu ray and hd rips and it works soo smooth . no lags at all . you fast forward or rewind perfect .. tested it on my home theatre sound is perfect excellent it is :p . i connect a 500 gb extneral my book fully loaded with movies and it automically detected the hard drive really fast and all the folders with movie art on it .. it was looking soooooooo aweosmeee :p . when u try to play any 1080 or 720 rips no delay time at all. select the file and it plays.. perfect .... worht every pennnyyyy.. simply brillaint .

TechHead said:
Well, then you're vehemently subject to the placebo effect :)

Oh, and one more thing. You can't interchangeably use VGA and composite in the same sentence. VGA is superior even to component, as it is pure RGB, while component is compressed into YPbPr, which is then decompressed into RGB at the TV end.
Of course, I don't need to tell experienced users like yourself, that component >>> composite now, do I ?

I have been sharing my experience and not theory. But I feel I should first consult to eye doctor as to why my eyes watch better to better resolution before treatment of placebo effect :tongue:

linuxtechie said:
The headaches that you are mentioning is the one that these manufacturer try to cash on. Soon or later a new format is released and you have that feeling about left behind. In that case the whole box becomes obsolete. In case of PC, thats not true. Ofcourse if you like to be happy with old format on LCD, thats your personal taste.

The real pain is: When you really wish to watch that HD movie, but is not supported by your player, then it becomes PITA to convert one HD format to another. You really dont wish to do that. I am telling you this cause I have burnt my finger with same.

~LT
You are absolutely right about that but a firmware upgrade will improve the player capabilities too.

Divx was launched back in 98/99 and there are still divx rips for all kinds of movies even now. MPEG-4 AVC for HD(HD came only a few years back!) is popular format now and will be for years to come. This player will save you expenses of building a suitable hardware for a PC and also electrical expenses :p .

anks22402 said:
OH MAN this player is awosme . i just tested 1080 and 720 p pure blu ray and hd rips and it works soo smooth . no lags at all . you fast forward or rewind perfect .. tested it on my home theatre sound is perfect excellent it is :p . i connect a 500 gb extneral my book fully loaded with movies and it automically detected the hard drive really fast and all the folders with movie art on it .. it was looking soooooooo aweosmeee :p . when u try to play any 1080 or 720 rips no delay time at all. select the file and it plays.. perfect .... worht every pennnyyyy.. simply brillaint .

Congratulations. Have fun with the unit.

@stud123 - my last post on the subject - I've hooked up my Viewsonic LCD and my Philips LCD TV with both VGA and DVI (which, in your infinite wisdom, you know is just HDMI (-) HDCP), and there is, literally, a 5% quality difference. Of course, the TV is resolution limited to 1366*768 over VGA, so fonts are a little larger, but that's about it.

My last post on the subject, o all knowing one.

TechHead said:
:p

@anks: congrats buddy.

@stud: Dude this guy has like tons of experience with the things you are talking about.

I am not against you or with him or something, just a simple advice from a fellow forum member that before you pick up an arguement with someone just take a look at the profile, a few threads/posts and then decide how you would phrase your lines.

On the HDMI part, me too have very recently got myself a little HD ready tv which has both VGA and HDMI inputs.

Having tried both i can make a statement strictly with respect to my panel, that HDMI has very little improvement over VGA at 1366x768.

The colors were a little richer in HDMI, admitted,

if it deserves the price 4 times that of VGA? debatable.

TechHead said:
Congratulations. Have fun with the unit.

@stud123 - my last post on the subject - I've hooked up my Viewsonic LCD and my Philips LCD TV with both VGA and DVI (which, in your infinite wisdom, you know is just HDMI (-) HDCP), and there is, literally, a 5% quality difference. Of course, the TV is resolution limited to 1366*768 over VGA, so fonts are a little larger, but that's about it.

As I mentioned in this thread earlier, I have similar arrangement with VX2025 Viewsonic as primary display and samsung full HD 1080p 32 inch LCD as secondary display and used DVI-VGA / DVI-HDMI connectors for connecting it to LCD though VGA/HDMI and its making whole difference. Text has perceptible ghost effect through VGA and video quality is significantly low when compared to DVI-HDMI connection. It hardly matters that HDMI cable is connected to DVI-HDMI connector but stream is only flowing through HDMI cable only. Regarding composite, I was responding to broar94, who made this point in this thread. Even if I connect my viewsonic monitor through VGA cable through DVI-VGA connector instead of DVI cable, difference is huge. Thats why, I am sharing my experience so vehemently.

stud123 said:
As I mentioned in this thread earlier, I have similar arrangement with VX2025 Viewsonic as primary display and samsung full HD 1080p 32 inch LCD as secondary display and used DVI-VGA / DVI-HDMI connectors for connecting it to LCD though VGA/HDMI and its making whole difference. Text has perceptible ghost effect through VGA and video quality is significantly low when compared to DVI-HDMI connection. It hardly matters that HDMI cable is connected to DVI-HDMI connector but stream is only flowing through HDMI cable only. Regarding composite, I was responding to broar94, who made this point in this thread. Even if I connect my viewsonic monitor through VGA cable through DVI-VGA connector instead of DVI cable, difference is huge. Thats why, I am sharing my experience so vehemently.
lol there are only two video out connectors in your WD HD TV player that is composite and HDMI.. The player will play HD thru composite thats the point I was trying to make....

As techhead just mentioned, composite is not VGA. VGA clearly is pure RGB. Since we are in the digital age, hook it up with HDMI anyway :p .

sarang said:
:p

@stud: Dude this guy has like tons of experience with the things you are talking about.

I am not against you or with him or something, just a simple advice from a fellow forum member that before you pick up an arguement with someone just take a look at the profile, a few threads/posts and then decide how you would phrase your lines.

On the HDMI part, me too have very recently got myself a little HD ready tv which has both VGA and HDMI inputs.

Having tried both i can make a statement strictly with respect to my panel, that HDMI has very little improvement over VGA at 1366x768.

The colors were a little richer in HDMI, admitted,

if it deserves the price 4 times that of VGA? debatable.

Your contention that you have to go by profile cant be true everytime. That simple means views of whosoever having better profile would prevail. I have shared my personal long experience with forum members. Regarding cost, It may matter from purchasing angle but technical superiority cant be ignored from cost factor.

stud123 said:
Your contention that you have to go by profile cant be true everytime. That simple means views of whosoever having better profile would prevail. I have shared my personal long experience with forum members. Regarding cost, It may matter from purchasing angle but technical superiority cant be ignored from cost factor.

agreed
"not everytime", however mostly!
else there are mods to provide negative reps and take adequate measures.

He never meant HDMI is inferior and was sharing his own experience as well.

Signing out of this thread.

linuxtechie said:
The headaches that you are mentioning is the one that these manufacturer try to cash on. Soon or later a new format is released and you have that feeling about left behind. In that case the whole box becomes obsolete. In case of PC, thats not true. Ofcourse if you like to be happy with old format on LCD, thats your personal taste.

The real pain is: When you really wish to watch that HD movie, but is not supported by your player, then it becomes PITA to convert one HD format to another. You really dont wish to do that. I am telling you this cause I have burnt my finger with same.

~LT

@LT: Your HTPC may be a notch better but then when we've got such a puny player capable of playing some decent formats including the present HD ones in .mkv, we cant ask for more can we?? ;)

Besides this thing's silent and generates almost no heat if it was to be compared with an HTPC which serves a couple of additional purposes such as browsing/occasional gaming. Nothing more.

If this thing played a 1080p .mkv flawlessly, it beats the HTPC hands down :p

The optical SPDIF is the icing on the cake. :D

@OP: Congrats man. Have fun with the thing. :D

hey gunman i triedp laying 720 p hd and blu ray and also 1080 trust me man there is no lag or jerks while the movie is playing .. it just plays soooooooooooo smooooooooooooooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no problem at alll

Have ordered 1 more from kmd. These player gonna get sold like hot cakes :p

anks can u pl confirm if possbile that it does not support external optical drives? becoz one of the comment on youtube demo had -ve ans to the que. And if works fine, it will be a great and complete package as well

anks22402 said:
hey gunman i triedp laying 720 p hd and blu ray and also 1080 trust me man there is no lag or jerks while the movie is playing .. it just plays soooooooooooo smooooooooooooooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no problem at alll

anks, take a gander at this thread:
*New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - Page 12 - AVS Forum

1) Some 1080p files may not play

2) DTS audio passthrough may be an issue with HDMI. Workaround is to use Popcorn Hour's converter to convert the DTS to AC3.

3) What resolution is your TV? If you're watching 720p files, set your TV res to 720p, and if 1080p files, set your TV to 1080p. There seems to be a load of unnecessary edge enhancement going on if you set 1080p output universally, with 720p files.

Again, have fun.

Firmware update in future may fix up some of the issues.

sarang said:
agreed
"not everytime", however mostly!
else there are mods to provide negative reps and take adequate measures.

He never meant HDMI is inferior and was sharing his own experience as well.

Signing out of this thread.

Reason may be his LCD is 768p whereas mine is 1080p. It is clearly mentioned in user manual of Samsung that VGA mode can support upto 1366*768. Anyway, its not a fight but exchange of views.

hey techhead i did that only.. manual i choose reoslution and set it according to movie resou andi t was playing perfectly fine no problems at all. fast forwading n all perfect . i am using LG 53 47 INCH FULL HDTV PLASMA

Back