Storage Solutions WD Surveillance HDD WD20PURX Query

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
Hiya folks!

I was planning to get a 2TB HDD just for standard storage purpose. Since most of the HDDs have cut down their warranty period to 2 years, this is the only one I can find for 3 years.

Now my question is, will this work as a standard desktop hard drive I mean not as an OS drive, but for standard storage read and access.

Not sure how this differs from standard drives, but can someone who already owns the drive share their experience?

Thank you!

Hi Ethan_Hunt,

The choice of HDD depends on your use and budget. For more information about WD internal HDD, I would like to add some word in it. We all are aware that each of WD HDD has different specification for use.

The WD Purple drive is a part of our surveillance-class storage solutions. It is mostly used for 24/7 high-definition security systems and spins down regularly due to the IntelliPower RPM that it incorporates.

Just a suggestion, if you don't have the budget problem and looking for 24x7 drive, then WD Red is the way to go.

In simple terms,

WD Red = Energy saving, 24x7 use, Extended warranty up to 3 years .

For more information about WD Red drive, you may refer to the link below

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=TlyKKO

If the information hasn’t resolved your query you may continue to post here.

Well for most of us

in simple terms,

WD Red = way too costly than rest flavours.
Wd GReen = nobody wants it
WD blue = best but sucks in warranty

Hey Lincon. Hope you're doing well!

Thank you for your response!

I'm on a tight budget. WD Red is way too expensive and my primary purpose for even investing in a 2TB drive is to have a back up of my existing drive contents, which could end up dead at any moment. Each of my hard drives have always been WD and pretty much everyone of them have been replaced at least once in their 5 year life cycle.

I don't need a 24x7 operating drive, heck, that's not why I'm even going for the surveillance one. I just need it as a back up storage drive with no fancy features and have regular data transfer speed which are in line with current SATA drives. Warranty is extremely important; the longer, the better. With this in mind, my question still remains, does this drive (being tailored specifically for surveillance), have any real world differences when being used as a standard desktop drive?

Hi Ethan_Hunt,
As you want WD purple to use as boot drive there will be no issues. The WD Purple is storage that is designed for digital video surveillance and tested to be compatible in a wide-range of security systems. It's highly recommended to use for Security purpose, but if you use as a boot drive, it will function like a normal hard drive too. It has inbuilt function to view videos in high-definition framework. To check specification of WD purple. Please refer below link:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=SqICG9

Hope it helps, keep me posted.

Or, you can just buy an HGST or Toshiba drive and forget about the warranty because it'll actually outlast three years in most cases. ;)

Back