Website - Hosting & Registration

HareshG

Disciple
Hello,

I am planning to launch a website down the line. I wanted to know what solutions are available for hosting and registration.

What I am looking for is a few suggestions of how do i go about with this business.

- I looked up the domain name at 123-reg and it seems to be cheaper than GoDaddy , so I am only guessing that there are a few things hidden or missing any experiences ? Does where you purchase this even matter , there are about 1 billion options.

- In terms of hosting, how does this entire business work? i.e. Does my hosting need to be done at the site i purchased my registration? If not , will there be any transfer fees if i change my hosting? Can I just register the name now and worry about hosting later? I

- At the moment, I plan to have it up and running using either some sort of a tool or a template and perhaps put the bells and whistles down the line. I understand 123 has its own builder tool available, There are a few solutions suggested like wordpress. So I guess I am looking for a solution where I can easily drag-drop widgets I need and when the time comes customize the tulips out of it.

- Extras: What extras do you need to get , I was suggested to get hold of whois privacy to keep the spambots away, anything else you guys would recommend I keep my eyes open before i sign the dotted line.

Thanks,

Haresh

When looking for a domain look at the renewal costs, the charges for hosting the site other than at the registrar and any other fees.

I host a few domains with GoDaddy, NameCheap and Mitsu.in.

I like GoDaddy cos they keep having promotions where you can get .com domain names for about a 100 rupees. Namecheap has these promos too, but less often. You can get a .in domain name at mitsu.in for Rs.79.

Finding a good webhost can be a pain. You can never be sure if it's going to be good, especially with shared hosting.

You can get your hosting from GoDaddy. They let you pay monthly/quarterly, so you can move your site elsewhere if you're not happy with minimal loss.

You can register the domain name anywhere, and host it anywhere else. You can book the name now, and build your site later.

Getting whois privacy is nice, but not essential. I haven't been spammed more than usual since I bought my domains.

While buying shared hosting confirm that you're getting php5 and mysql5. Also make sure that the memory limit set in php is atleast 32MB. Anything less and you won't be able to install wordpress or any other content management/blogging system.

Buy your domain/hosting with a virtual credit card if you can, as most of these sites will store your card details and try and add other products to your cart without you realising it. Turn auto-renew off for the domains and hosting if you don't want to be surprised by additional charges in your credit card bill.

Build your website using a CMS like wordpress/drupal/joomla. It'll make it easier to update, and all of them have a degree of security built in. Try and not use the auto-installers as they make updating/upgrading the installations difficult.

Hope that's answered all your questions!

Sounds good, thanks. I am looking at 123-reg at the moment. They are trying to sell me a 'Web-site builder' tool , but I am failing to understand, why is that required. Rather my question at this point being, if i purchase web hosting and build pages around it using wordpress, do i need anything else to be up and running?

Cheers!

Back