Weird Internet problem

superczar

Skilled
Post Summary: I need to find some kinda application wrapper that can control unwanted application behavior...
or else, find a MAC spoofer/Virtual NIC creator

Any help appreciated :)

Details:

My Internet connection uses the blasted 24online client....Since I need to share the Internet connection between my two machines, and the version of 24online I have will not allow me to do so, so I hunted down an old version of the login client (ver 1.3.1.1)

After lot of trial & error, I finally stumbled upon a solution
- Connect the primary desktop's NIC to the ISP LAN
- Setup a peer-peer network between the primary desktop and notebook (802.11b)
- Installed old version of 24online on notebook
- Login thru the notebook

Approx representation:
CAT5cable 802.11b login client
ISP server---------------Desktop------------- Notebook

By doing this, I am able to share the Internet connection, share files, ping both m/c's frm each other etc etc
In short, the setup is perfect but for one big hitch, Even If i need to use the Net only from the desktop, the notebook should be available and switched on...

Thus effectively, I can't carry out the notebook out of the house if anyone else wants to use the net on the desktop,.....

If I try to install 24 online on the desktop, and try to login frm there, the application does anautodownload of the new version from the ISP server (this doesn't happen when I login from the notebook, possibly because of the additional layer between the ISP server and the end client)
As soon as the new version gets downloaded, it asks for a restart of the desktop, and after the restart, my Internal network completely fails ......Even ping b/w the two machines stops wrking

I have tried out all possible ways of fixing this nag, but to no avail....
The only possible solution (if iat all it can be done) is by either :

- Using sme kind of a wrapper/controller over 24online client that stops it from auto downloading new version

- Using some kind of MAC spoofer/virtual NIC that replicates the current workaround that I am using within the desktop system, maybe sumthng like

ISP Server---------Physical NIC on Desktop----virtual NIC on desktop with the virtual NIC handling the login client----Notebook

Thanks a lot for reading thru the post....
I can't switch ISPs coz I paid for 6 months in advance to the morons.... :mad:
Help greatly appreciated

Router can be the obvious solution but IIRC you do not want a router.

Can you use your firewall s/w to block the autoupdater? Just try to explore that workaround.

Tried that..tried to use ZA...
The issue is that with the 1st contact with the ISP server, it immediately downloads the new version....

I was wondering whether it is possible to create a restricted user account (without admin rights) to surf the net. I think a restricted account will not allow the update to get installed without admin's intervention. You can try this.

I was wondering whether it is possible to create a restricted user account (without admin rights) to surf the net.
Tried doing that, unfortunately, the cyberoam POS $%$#^%$# refused to run without the new version being dloaded...

I'd have given up but for the fact that the old version runs perfectly fine on my current setup with one layer between the notebook and the ISP server....
It's only when this layer goes (by trying to run directly on the desktop) that it starts behaving like an obstinate bull

@ superczar,

To beat your enemy it is important to first "know" your enemy.
First understand the method used by cyberoam system to connect. know its working thoroughly then attempt workarounds.
also note these points.

1) data packets are encrypted by the system. The UDP packets are encrypted and decrypted by the system at both ends. the transmitted packets by the system are not "normal" udp packets.
2) Their client software installs a windows Layered Service Provider (LSP) in ur system. this modifies ur winsock and tcp /ip settings and can be a security threat. hence most of the anti virus programs will report it as such.
3) they use a heart beat system to poll the mac id of ur nic every few minutes to confirm connectivity. (dont know if they have stopped this now, but previously it was there)
4) Their software on the server side (meaning their control centre) generally has a CPE (maximum client logins) of 1 for ur a/c. meaning only 1 customer or mac id can be active at any given time for ur a/c.
5)I think if you devise a way of converting ur desktop into a sort of proxy server (meaning all the internet requests from ur notebook goes "via" ur "desktop" to the system, encryption, decryption and all, and vice versa (receives "via" ur desktop too)) then it should work in theory

since ur notebook will be sending and receiving requests from ur desktop only. but then you will not have a unique internet ip address for your notebook.
try installing a cheap linux proxy server. (even a cheap Pentium1 m/c without monitor) in ur home system.;)
I have tried with a 4 port gateway/router where the mac id is spoofed, but it does not work in cyberoam. my isp is in2cable. and i use my own cable modem.
hence have given up (since my knowledge of software programming is very limited) and have bought 2 connections from the isp. will change the isp once i get a suitable alternative in my building.
ps: now the situation is so bad that even if change my m/b , connect another m/c etc...for testing purpose, i.e. where the mac address changes i have to phone their control room to reset the allowed mac id for my account everytime. and the same procedure is followed again if i want to revert back to my original hardware.:mad:
in case you find a suitable workaround , then kindly let us know. you would be doing a great service to the harrased users of cyberoam system.:clap:

PS: Deejay in Cyberroam if you changed the MAC id it used to work atleast in the previous versions. Try changing the MAC ID's and see if that works..

@aces,

Change mac id's ????? how ????

if i change the nic i will not be able to log in to the system. only after getting it reset from the control room and "enabling" the new mac id on their server will i be able to log in.

Change mac id's ????? how ????

Change it through Device manager, go to properties note down the MAC ID of the system that works. Enter the same MAC ID for the other system.. dont have XP would have posted screenshots

Hi aces,

why do i need to do that ??.:huh:
oh you meant when i change the nic or m/b for testing purposes......
i never gave a thought to that really.....

but i will try it the next time.:cool2: , thanks buddy.
but i have a strong suspicion that their system actually polls the lan chip for the mac id.
anyways i will try it the next time and revert back. will save me a lot of money on phone bills.....

Hey Deejay, most of the clients check only for the MAC IDS, you can easily spoof them with the original ones, Windows XP allows you to do it directly, try it may work.

Goto Device manager => NIC => Properties => MAC ID your original ID will be as none, find it using IPconfig command, and enter the same in the empty box in the NIC properties.

1) data packets are encrypted by the system. The UDP packets are encrypted and decrypted by the system at both ends. the transmitted packets by the system are not "normal" udp packets.
I don't think this is true...As I said, with my setup, I login via my laptop with the desktop acting as the gateway...Once I have logged in, the net works fine on both systems....Number of times, I have tried shutting down the laptop and the net keeps working fine on the desktop for approx 3 mins after that (the 180 second heartbeat setup at work)..Now If 24online would be encrypting/decryping packets, the net wouldn;t have worked on the desktop after shutting off the notebook

3) they use a heart beat system to poll the mac id of ur nic every few minutes to confirm connectivity. (dont know if they have stopped this now, but previously it was there)
Pretty much still there...(as described above)

4) Their software on the server side (meaning their control centre) generally has a CPE (maximum client logins) of 1 for ur a/c. meaning only 1 customer or mac id can be active at any given time for ur a/c.
That's right...dual login not possible

My problem i that I want to end the dependency on the notebook for using the net, while at the same time keep my home network alive....

So
5)I think if you devise a way of converting ur desktop into a sort of proxy server (meaning all the internet requests from ur notebook goes "via" ur "desktop" to the system, encryption, decryption and all, and vice versa (receives "via" ur desktop too)) then it should work in theory
since ur notebook will be sending and receiving requests from ur desktop only. but then you will not have a unique internet ip address for your notebook.

Therein lies the hitch.....As of now, my desktop leeches off the Internet connectivity between the laptop and the ISP which is routed via it with the desktop acting as the gateway....
For me to implement it the other way round(Desktop connects to the net, and directly shares it with the notebook), I need to have 24online installed on the desktop...However, as I said in my 1st post, as soon as I install the old version of 24online (The one that I use to login from the notebook) on the desktop, it automatically downloads a new version, installs it and asks for a restart...After the restart, The peer-peer network b/ w the desktop and notebook is dead....

Anyway, for your problem, why don't you try the setup that I use to share the Internet currently...

Assuming you are OK with keeping both your machines on and the two-way interdependency is fine by you, just shove your 2nd Internet connection up ur ISP, and do this ( have done this for other friends, so I hope this will work for you too):

-Get hold of the old 1.3.1.1. version of the client (PM me if you need it and i 'll mail it across, ) it works even on the latest cyberoam server iteration, provided you can stop it from autoupdating (Here is how:)
- Setup ur 1st machine as the gateway and get the MAC of that NIC authorized by the buggers. Connect the primary NIC of this m/c to tje CAT5 coming from he ISP
- (Important) Set up a peer-peer connection (Using a crossover cable or wi-fi) without any routers/switches whatsoever on the network...This effectively hides the 2nd machine from the ISP server ..Set up the IP for this peer -peer connection NIC on the 1st machine on a differnet range than your primary NIC IP range by say changing the third octet (e.g. prmary NIC =192.168.1.15, set 2nd (peer-peer) NIC as 192.168.0.1
after ensuring that this IP doesn't exist elsewhere on the network

- On the 2nd machine, don't assign an IP, ask it to obtain it automatically (via DHCP)

- Test the peer-peer connection by a) pinging the 1st machine 2ndary NIC from 2nd machine and also verifying tat the DHCP assigned IP on the 2nd machine iis happening properly ...

- Keep the 1st machine clean from all traces of 24online client !%$@%$, uninstall, delete the elitecore folder and clean the registry

- Enable ICS on the primary NIC on the 1st machine (the NIC connected to ISP)

- check ping b/w thw ISP authentication server IP from the 2nd machine

-- Install the old version of 24online on the 2nd machine

- Login....Since the ISP views the login request coming from the MAC of the 1st NIC of PC-1, it will let the authentication happen...

- Now the 2nd machine will have the net coming via the 1st machine acting as gateway, whie the 1st machine has an effective net connection of its own

- Also, a peer-peer works like a perfectly normal Intranet with no hitches whatsoever while file sharing, remote desktop etc

It has worked for a couple of my friend where I tried....
Try it out and let us know if it works....

@ acesunfortunately i do not have that mac id changing setting on my m/c.

i checked all the settings related to nic in the device manager.
anyways i will log in via my router / gateway . it has capacity of cloning the mac id.
but basically i am against this policy of the isp. i mean i am not allowed to change my nic without informing them telephonically.

but then what can you expect from the owners of this co. the hinduja group of the "bofors" fame. bofors was insignificant with what they are doing currently with their isp and cable TV business.

@ superczar,

Will try as suggested.
some clarification required

1) i will need 2 nics on the main m/c. one for the isp and the other for the local p2p. is that correct.??

2)install the old version client on the 2nd m/c only.
BTW , what happens when you install the new client version on the 2nd m/c. ??

3) the main m/c should be clean of any traces of the client.

4) both the m/c's will have to be powered up for sharing the connection ??

will try the above and post here the observations. it may be some time for this hence i may bump this thread after a week or so.

1) i will need 2 nics on the main m/c. one for the isp and the other for the local p2p. is that correct.??

Correct

2)install the old version client on the 2nd m/c only.
BTW , what happens when you install the new client version on the 2nd m/c. ??

Kills file sharing, somehow....

3) the main m/c should be clean of any traces of the client.

Just to be sure ....If you installl the client on the 1st m/c, it will kill ur peer-peer network,,,,,so better to be on the safe side by removing all traces

4) both the m/c's will have to be powered up for sharing the connection ??
Yes, this interdependency is the main reason why I am looking for another solution as my desktop & notebook are inexorably tied together

Deejay, u have linux installed?
Maybe u guys shud take ferrari's help, basically, what we need to do is to use the old client, but to figure out how to stop it from upgrading itself.
The C code say is:
flag = checkNew();
if(flag)
{
download new version
}
n2: else
{
}
what we need to do is:
flag = checkNew();
jump to n2
{
download new version
}
n2: else
{
}

ie replace if with jump. This can be one by
1. Someone with access to cyberroam
2. A reverse engineer

Ferrar! can go over to Deejay's place and do it - if he agrees.

i can forward the old exe via mail to Ferrari or any1 else who is:
a)has the necessary tools for decompiling, editing and recompiling the exe
b) is willing to put in the required effort

In return, he/she gets hazaar compliments and blessings from harassed users...
let me also see if Google can tell me anything bout the reverse engireeing techniques...
If I succeed, will post my findings...

Back