Laptops Weird Screen tearing issue with MSI GF65 144hz Laptop (GTX 1660ti)

MarioBros

Disciple
Hey Guys,

My brother is facing a weird issue in his MSI laptop which is has 144hz refresh rate along with GTX 1660ti GPU (i5 10th Gen, 16GB RAM)

- Screen tearing is observed on almost all the games when VSync is disabled in game settings
- No Screen tearing issues if VSync is enabled but the frame rate is capped at 48fps for all the games
- No Screen tearing when games are played in Borderless/Windowed mode, works perfectly with VSync off.
- This laptop display shows only two refresh rates i.e 144hz & 48hz in Windows display settings, I am unable to change the same in advance graphics settings

1637386548294.png

How do I solve this issue ? tried few troubleshooting steps as per few guides and videos online but nothing seems to work, please help

Last edited:
Its weird, have you installed the nvidia driver ?Can you configure the refresh rate in nvidia control panel ?
do clean your nvidia driver with ddu & re-install once and check

Check if the laptop has GSync and whether its enabled for both the display and the game in Nvidia control panel. Aside from that DDU + clean installing the latest drivers or capping the FPS to 144 should work just fine. VSync causes a fair bit of input lag so even if it stops the screen tearing it's not really optimal for most games.

Check if the laptop has GSync and whether its enabled for both the display and the game in Nvidia control panel. Aside from that DDU + clean installing the latest drivers or capping the FPS to 144 should work just fine. VSync causes a fair bit of input lag so even if it stops the screen tearing it's not really optimal for most games.
How do I cap the frame rate ? u mean via the Nvidia control panel global settings ? If Yes, I have already tried that and didnt make any difference, screen tearing was still present.
I also tried Nvdia profile inspector to cap the frame rate even that didnt work

I am yet to try DDU & Clean install, will do

Also the display properties show as display connected to Intel UHD graphics, is this correct
1637386613891.png

Also the display properties show as display connected to Intel UHD graphics, is this correct
Yes. Your internal display is connected to the dGPU via the iGPU since it does not have a MUX switch. My RTX 3060 laptop also shows the same, nothing to worry about

You can install RivaTuner Statistics Server which is part of MSI Afterburner, it has a very reliable frame rate capping feature. Although it should work the same as the Nvidia control panel option functionally.
Does the screen tearing happen when the framerate is more than 144fps? Or does it happen regardless of the current framerate at any given time in that game?

Back