Storage Solutions Western Digital Green Reliability issues in new batches

I ordered 200 pcs of these dvds.... 30 got damaged in shipping:S

and got verification failures in another 20.... So 50 gone in 200:mad:

But I am still using it to backup my 1.5TB drives as I have a unque way of preserving dvds:) (again keeping my fingers crossed)

chetansha said:
8.5 GB DVD's :D ( got a pack of 50 from ebay @ 690/-)

i was about to buy one... infact i went to shop for WD 1tb drive.. but then decided to postpone it for a week... thank goodness... are seagate 7200.12 drive reliable? especially the 1.5 and 2 TB drives?

^^ seems so so far.....no probs with the various Seagate drives YET and the 2TB one is also fine though just 1 month old.But have to say, it got terrible data transfer speeds going as low as 20MBps.

vercetti said:

But I am still using it to backup my 1.5TB drives as I have a unque way of preserving dvds:) (again keeping my fingers crossed)
What do you keep them in the fridge?:bleh: ..
Anyways this problem is with the 1tb WD Green drives too. From what i can see its the problem with Green Drives and not the black ones. I have a 1tb Green Drive which was replaced in a weeks time after some head issues. So for now i am planning to go either with Samsung F2 or seagates .

vercetti said:

tell me your
unique way of preserving dvds

I've recently shifted to Seagate from WD for storage drives, not specifically for reliability issues as much as for the extra 2 years of warranty. I've had a recent 750 GB Black which was a replacement for a 750 Green go bad. But I've also have had issues with Seagate. Seems to me hard drives are failing right & left. Since I already use RAID1 on most drives, Seagate's 2 extra years sound a fine deal to me.

^ Seagate give 7 years warranty ? :S I thought WD & Seagate both provided 5 yrs.

By the way I got a WD 1TB black which has warranty till June 2016. More than 6 years left .Isolated case though :p

i am planning to sold off my old ide seagate 20gb n 80gb a get a new 500gb or higher hdd- basically to store movies,download n music only.. I am planning to get WD but now after this incident i bit confused - it seems that problem occurs with most of the higher capacity hdd - 500gb+

varkey said:
^Seagate gives only 3 yrs warranty now.

That true? I thought Seagate offered 5 years warranty in India. Can anyone who recently bought a Seagate verify? Shitty how WD has all their warranty info out therewhile I'd have to own a Seagate to find out. Last statement based on the fact that I've been looking up the Seagate site for the past 1/2 hr without getting anywhere. It might be my iffy net too cos the warranty matrix page shows up blank to me. Anyone care to share any info? I'm particularly interested in the Barracuda LP drive's warranty.

Some sites have it as 3, some as 5 and the frigging thing is, international warranty periods (which is what I've mostly googled up) don't count for much considering both brands have a different set of policies for India.

^ Errr the link shows only 3 years warranty for Green drives in India but all the 1TB Green that Ive purchased recently (the 32mb cache as well as 64mb cache drive ) came with 5 years warranty.

FaH33m said:
^ Errr the link shows only 3 years warranty for Green drives in India but all the 1TB Green that Ive purchased recently (the 32mb cache as well as 64mb cache drive ) came with 5 years warranty.
Your drives might be having 5 yrs warranty cos of an older batch/ manufacture date or the WD site might be wrong. But I can't go out and buy 2/4 drives (RAID1) basing the warranty terms on personal experiences rather than on official WD policies :(! AFAIK, the drop to 3 from 5 is a new policy from WD. I've recently decided to go for the Seagate LPs thinking they have 5 years warranty, but varkey's post and the lack of info on Seagate's site has muddied up the water.

If warranty is 3 yrs for both Seagate and WD greens, I'd rather go for the WD blacks, power/ noise be damned :cool2:

^ Noise isn't really an issue with the Blacks .I have 2 X 1TB Black and 2 X 1TB Green side by side on my current open bench setup. Can't hear a hiss . The Backs run really hot though. 3-4 deg more than the Green.

My green is @ 38-39 right now and the Blacks at 42-43.

Shripad said:
As usual, I made sure I first do zero fill and complete formate following the zero fill ( its pain staking ) to make sure there are no errors on my new HDDs and while doing so, all the new WD green are showing such issues.
Won't a plain format in windows achieve the same ?

If a sector can't be formatted it gets tagged as bad anyway.

Given the size of the drive in question you're still looking at several hours to do a full format anyway.

The zero fill is more for securely deleting a drive's contents.

Shripad said:
The problem is only with the 1.5TB Green drives, others seems fine. Thankfully raid 1 came to the rescue or I would have been screwed.
Can you give some details about your RAID 1 setup ?

Seagate

Internal - 3years

External - 5years

WD

Internal - 5years

External - 3years

This is the current warranty term for both companies. WD internationally gives 3 years warranty only but in India its 5 years (Internal). Its clearly mentioned in the warranty page at the end as a NOTE..

Seagate warranty policy is never mentioned & they never inform end users on any policy change even through their website. I mailed them 4-5 times & they always sent me the helpline no. which is a BSNL 1800-xx.... which does not connect on my AIRTEL line.. Their warranty status is not mentioned clearly on the site... :(

Weird stutter issues on my 1.5 TB WD Green EADS (January batch) too, entire system would lock up and not respond for a few seconds.

Now I got one WD 1TB Black from eBay and it was DOA, clicking sound. I really lost trust in WD after this.

Unable to recover data using Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro :(

Recently, there was this thread I posted in http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/does-seagate-have-only-3-year-157650.html . My dealer had informed me that Seagate's warranty was reduced to 3 years.

Both Seagate and WD are making drives that aren't up to the mark these days. I had a DOA WD green 500GB that I bought last month, I had that replaced by a WD Blue - works great, is very fast, and so far so good.

It has a 5 year warranty, whilst seagate's is definitely 3 years.

Naga said:
I've recently decided to go for the Seagate LPs thinking they have 5 years warranty, but varkey's post and the lack of info on Seagate's site has muddied up the water.

If warranty is 3 yrs for both Seagate and WD greens, I'd rather go for the WD blacks, power/ noise be damned :cool2:

Well, Fortunately my WD 1.5tb is working fine, but having read all this I am little worried.

Just one question though, has every one who faced problem with 1.5tb EARS correctly aligned their drive using the WD utility?

I aligned it using WD boot drive utility (provided by Acronis I think).

Fogive me if I quoted some thing out of context as this is my first post here.

Back