Storage Solutions Western Digital Green Reliability issues in new batches

wd black 1tb is not available on Ebay . i hate the whole green blue black concept . i was planning a ST 1Tb but they have reduced their warranty . sad to see the green drives failing

HailStonE said:
WD internationally gives 3 years warranty only but in India its 5 years (Internal). Its clearly mentioned in the warranty page at the end as a NOTE..(

AK3D said:
It has a 5 year warranty, whilst seagate's is definitely 3 years.

Thanks. @HailStonE, that's the problem with impatient researching. No wonder I didn't see the "Note" on the warranty page.

My WD 500 AAKS Blue has a strange vibration to it. It doesnt make much noise, but there is definitely a very noticeable vibration on the cabinet and drive even when the HDD is idle. Almost as if the drive mechanism is slightly off-balance.

My other 2 HDDs are a 250GB WD and a 1 TB Seagate 7200.11. Both are very silent with no vibrations even when being used actively.

No errors or performance issues on the AAKS, but after reading this thread I'm wondering if the HDD is dying. Or am I just being paranoid? Anyone with WD AAKS-500, can u guys tell me if your drives vibrate?

@arvnd : Did you try turning on the computer after removing the HDD cables (no power to it)? Is the vibration still there? Also, is the hard disk secured properly? Is the case/cabinet unbalanced (have you put those rubber/plastic feet on the bottom of the case)? Vibrations could be from a number of issues.

@Naga - why not try the AAKS Blue? Its much faster than the green, and I've not been hearing dismal reports about it so far. That's what prompted me to get it.

@ak3d, vibration is definitely coming from the hard disk. Even if I remove the HDD and keep the HDD on the table (connected of course), the vibration is clearly there from the HDD. If i disconnect the HDD, the cabinet is vibration free.

BTW it's not a major vibration; in fact it is noticeable only if you touch the HDD or nearby areas.

I think it's time to look for other alternatives like Samsung and Hitachi.

Not sure about Hitachi these days, but I've heard Samsung ones are decent. No idea about model numbers.

arvnd said:
@ak3d, vibration is definitely coming from the hard disk. Even if I remove the HDD and keep the HDD on the table (connected of course), the vibration is clearly there from the HDD. If i disconnect the HDD, the cabinet is vibration free.

BTW it's not a major vibration; in fact it is noticeable only if you touch the HDD or nearby areas.

I have had the same vibration issue with my 5000AAKS. In my case even the table used to vibrate. :p Anyway got it RMA'd and the new is working fine.

^ Yeah warranty is done on serial no. but incase if by any chance the mess up with your warranty dates you need a bill to make corrections.

Happened with me recently , a drive having warranty till 2013 all of sudden showed only 120 days warranty remaining .Had to send them a scanned copy of the bill to get it changed again :|.

varkey said:
I have had the same vibration issue with my 5000AAKS. In my case even the table used to vibrate. :p Anyway got it RMA'd and the new is working fine.

Hmm..my case is not so bad. Anyways I have the data backed up. Waiting for the HDD to die :)

kippu said:
my 1 tb has a vibration when i use it first time during a period ...scary

During a period ?? :eek:hyeah: U mean when u try accessing the HDD when it has powered down after being idle for some time ?

Ok started using my 1.5 TB WD15EARS today. SUCKS big time. I was writing some files from the 1.5 TB to DVD using Nero, first time it stopped at 50%, 2nd time stopped at 91%.

I went in My computer - the 1.5 TB Drive ( 3 partitions ) is MISSING.

The partition is there when i restart the PC and the data is there too.

^^ a bad PSU could also cause such issues. Especially so if u have more than 1 HDD. I had a problem like this (I have 3 HDDs)...I suspected it to be a HDD issue, but turned out to be a PSU issue. Replaced the PSU and everything was fine.

arvnd said:
^^ a bad PSU could also cause such issues. Especially so if u have more than 1 HDD. I had a problem like this (I have 3 HDDs)...I suspected it to be a HDD issue, but turned out to be a PSU issue. Replaced the PSU and everything was fine.

Hmm,,interesting;now people will realize why we insist on investing on a good psu

Back