CPU/Mobo What are the added features of Z68?

sumedik

Disciple
Well let us put aside overclocking for a second(after all turbo boost is like an internal overclocking mechanism).

Other than the possibility to overclock, what are the other added features we are getting in Z68 mobos which are NOT there in H67 mobos.

1 is the ability to use SSD as cache for HDD.

2 is Virtu.

Is there any more such features to be put on the list(maybe faster RAM etc)?

Also which is the MOST feature rich B67 chipset motherboard available today and at what price?

The main difference is it allows you to use the onchip graphics and overclock your cpu. So It's like a H67 and P67 combined except you'll be able to overclock the integrated graphics as well.

Well yes trying to compare H67 with Z68. Therefore I started off saying that we are keeping ability to overclock out of the picture.

For most, loosely put, advantages of (H67 + P67) = Z68 + some more stuff.

From all i read and what i understood, apart from the overclocking part alongwith the ability to use integrated SandyBridge GPU,

arrival of Intel Z68 Express chipset promised to bring 3 main advantages over P67 based motherboards-

1. LucidLogix Virtu (universal switchable graphics/GPU virtualisation)

2. Intel Quick Sync Video Technology (Way faster media transcoding than what only CPU or only discrete graphics card has to offer)

3. Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD caching- faster performance of SSD + large storage capacity of a regular HDD)

So while buying a Z68 motherboard, i will make sure it offers all benefits of Z68 chipset.

Coz if missing the main/practical advantages offered by Z68, i am unsure how much benefit it offers over existing P67 motherboards?

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=52810,52816,

I was wondering over the practicality of motherboards like ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe that don't have the onboard display connectors that ideally a Z68 motherboard should have.

But from the features/specs, it appears that it has LucidLogix Virtu and supports Intel Quick Sync- thus allowing faster media transcoding via integrated Sandy Bridge GPU alongwith 3D graphics performance via discrete GPU, simultaneously.

Without Virtu, as it happened earlier with H67 motherboards IIRC, the Sandy Bridge processor's integrated GPU had to be used to be enable to use Quick Sync but it would not work alongwith discrete GPU.

Only integrated or discrete GPU could be used at a time and using Quick Sync wasn't possible without using one of the onboard display connectors.

IMHO, faster media transcoding by Intel Quick Sync Video Technology is definitely one of the most important reasons for someone with a good graphics card or 2, to opt for a Z68 motherboard over a P67 motherboard.

That way one can play games or do other 3D stuff while the Sandy Bridge processor's integrated GPU takes care of media transcoding, at the same time if need be.

So Virtu on Z68 motherboards seems like a must, especially on high-end motherboards that might lack onboard display connectors.

p.s. Kinda confused myself too while typing all this and trying to keep it simple- someone please help if i missed any points. :ashamed:

Very helpful reply. Thanks.

Well Virtu is avaiulable via payment to work on H67 as well.

Generally my requirements are such:

CPU: Most probably i5 2500(K would not be needed if on H67)

I would use the onboard graphics card certainly. In future I might go for a discreet graphics card, but not more than 1 discreet graphics card would be added to the system.

In this regard, can you add more than 1 discreet graphics card in H67? Also can you add more than 1 discreet graphics card in Z68? If you can then is it possible to use onboard graphics card as well as 2 discreet graphics cards simultaneously?

I want every possible port etc possible on the board. Like Firewire, Bluetooth, etc. So please suggest a few good H67 and Z68 mobos with such options. Add to that onboard display port.

I hope that clears things up. I am trying to figure out a few good H67 mobos so that i can pit them against the Z68 mobos in terms of pricing when they come out. If the difference is not much, I would surely go for Z68 based mobo. But that might not be the case, so I am trying to find if I can live with H67 mobo.

The final buying would happen after looking at Bulldozer based CPU benchmarks, which would happen in the middle of June. So I have some time, and therefore doing some research.

Back