What are the best good Mutual Fund management platforms?

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
As the title says, what are the best mutual fund investment and management online platforms in India?

I am referring to sites like Scripbox, fundsindia etc.

Have been using Fundsindia since long and quite like it.

However, after I got my equity account made in Zerodha, I use them for MFs too since they have direct plans.

Does zerodha coin offer tracking/management functionality for MF's or just buying from the vendors?

Which is a better choice for a beginner to Mutual Funds.

Last edited:
Me too in same shoes. But hows online platform compared to the traditional ones? Do we get higher returns or something?

zerodha says that third party distributors take commission every year. and after 25k investment they charge 50 per month as subscription. So unless we invest every month in funds it looks like an unnecessary subscription to those who will invest just 3-4 times a year. if you don't invest every month, then it will turn out to be costlier than normal distributor who charge 25 rupees i think for each mutual fund transaction.

do the mutual fund companies take commissions if we buy directly from their site too? its looks better to me to buy directly from mutual fund companies websites or use apps of CAMS and Karvy than to rely on any third party company who may or may not be there in business in 10 years or so. Cams and Karvy will always be there or may merge into some bigger player.

do the mutual fund companies take commissions if we buy directly from their site too? ......

Whether you buy from Mutual Fund AMCs directly or through third parties (like Zerodha Coin, financial advisors etc.), ensure you are opting for the 'Direct' plan. That would mean no commissions are being paid & this would reflect in lower expense ratios.

Thus, for illustration, you'd opt for :
Reliance Small Cap Fund Direct Plan - Growth
& not
Reliance Small Cap Fund - Growth

Also, a distributor isn't earning a commission per transaction from the client AFAIK. Rather commissions are paid by the AMCs to them. These expenses are reflected in the expense ratio which accounts for the difference in the NAVs of a regular & a direct plan.

In fact, if a financial advisor charges an upfront fee for his services & gets you to invest in a direct plan, it probably means that he has your best interests at heart & is not being swayed by commissions.

----------------------------------------------

As for MF investment & management platforms, this post lists a few options - https://freefincal.com/ways-invest-direct-mutual-funds/

Personally, I've invested directly through the AMC & track my portfolio through https://etportfolio.indiatimes.com/

HTH

Last edited:
I would suggest getting a CAN (Common Account Number) from https://www.mfuindia.com/Investors which is a platform created by consortium of MF companies, and then use mfuonline.com for managing your MF portfolio (existing and new).
They allow investing in direct MF from different fund house and is free .

As for MF investment & management platforms, this post lists a few options - https://freefincal.com/ways-invest-direct-mutual-funds/

HTH

I second this, get a CAN number and invest through MFU directly.

Since you are a beginner, I guess you won't be investing into several funds from multiple fund houses.
CAN would be useful only in the above scenario.

If you are planning on investing into just one or two funds, then sign up for those particular fund house directly and start investing from their website itself.
Once you are experienced enough and want to expand your portfolio, then you can probably get a CAN account and make things easier.

Sign up on FundsIndia for now as you will have access to their advisors. You can get suggestions from them.

If you are looking for direct MF funds, sign up on Kuvera. They have waived off their advisory fee for now.

I have singed up on Zerodha (charged Rs 300 for Demat account) and Kuvera. Kuvera is asking for completion of eKYC. Will also try registering on FundsIndia as registration part seems to be free.

I have singed up on Zerodha (charged Rs 300 for Demat account) and Kuvera. Kuvera is asking for completion of eKYC. Will also try registering on FundsIndia as registration part seems to be free.
On FundsIndia, registration won't be complete until you do a transaction (One time transaction in any fund). After that they will ask you to upload your docs online.

If you are referring to Zerodha Coin, please be aware that the MF units are apparently held in your Demat A/c. It's debatable whether this is advantageous or not, but it isn't standard practice. Just a heads up.

The key disadvantage that I read about MF in demat form is inability to sell units in fractional values.

I have also heard that NSDL is promoting/pushing towards holding of MF's in demat form?.

I don't think you can sell MF units in fraction.
But I have never sold MF. So can't say for sure.

An advantage with demat is that you can track your holdings easily. But if you have a CAN on MFUIndia, you can do do the same thing.

I don't think you can sell MF units in fraction.
But I have never sold MF. So can't say for sure
Yes, you can. You can withdraw certain NAV units or NAV units worth a certain amount.
I had used the KTrack app and myCAMS app a few months back for the redemption of 5 different funds.

Back