What are the long term implications of low blood sugar in body?

6pack

ex-Mod
I was reading up on low blood sugar effects and came across this information in a site.

When your blood sugar levels are too low, your cells become starved for energy. At first, you might notice minor symptoms, such as hunger and headaches. However, if you don’t get your blood sugar levels up in time, you may be at risk for serious complications.

What are these serious complications? Does it cause long term effect internally on organs? Or go into coma and death?

I've read on reddit about people getting hunger headaches due to not eating the whole day.
So i think it's a way body is trying to tell us that brain is not getting enough energy i guess. What happens if this happens for month after month? Brain damage?

I was reading up on low blood sugar effects and came across this information in a site.

What are these serious complications? Does it cause long term effect internally on organs? Or go into coma and death?

I've read on reddit about people getting hunger headaches due to not eating the whole day.
So i think it's a way body is trying to tell us that brain is not getting enough energy i guess. What happens if this happens for month after month? Brain damage?
I think this complication only for diabetic patients

People trying Intermittent Fasting or OMAD diets feel it in the beginning, but one gets used to it very quickly. I tried OMAD for 2 weeks and didn't feel any of the symptoms. People have been experimenting fasting for upto 72 hrs as well and don't forget so many people who have sit on 'Fast unto Death' in India.

I think this complication only for diabetic patients
What are those complications if i can ask?

People trying Intermittent Fasting or OMAD diets feel it in the beginning, but one gets used to it very quickly. I tried OMAD for 2 weeks and didn't feel any of the symptoms. People have been experimenting fasting for upto 72 hrs as well and don't forget so many people who have sit on 'Fast unto Death' in India.
Some of those politicians eat or drink fruit juice at night when no one is looking. Not eating or drinking water every day will probably kill a person within 2 weeks i think.

For normal person blood sugar level never goes down to cause any problem as the liver kicks in to produce glucose.

For diabetic person this would be a big problem if not addressed immediately. When sugar goes low, one feels hungry, blurry vision, excessive sweating occurs. My dad is a type 1 diabetic and I have personally experienced all these with him. If not addressed one may die, so there is no long term damage

High blood sugar causes long term damage like kidney, neurological problem, heart etc..

IF and OMAD probably one of the best food eating plans one can do. Problem is one needs to have all or nothing type attitude for that.

Keep those glucose shots at hand and you'll never have these problems. Sugar can be easily controlled by controlling your eating. If you dont know how your sugar goes up and down, you can try one of the continuous glucose monitors that sync via nfc etc. Not very costly and great for info they provide.

IF and OMAD probably one of the best food eating plans one can do. Problem is one needs to have all or nothing type attitude for that.
I find them very easy to do but I relapse every few months. Don't know how many times I have lost and gained back 15-20kg in my life.

Yes my dad has sugar too and sometimes because of type of food along with his walks the sugar drops 70 or below and he is unable to move as if all energy is gone and sweats and its a dangerous situation. High sugar sometimes is fine but low sugar is dangerous. Has happened to 3-4 times to him and now checks sugar daily and keeps something sweet in his reach.

I find them very easy to do but I relapse every few months. Don't know how many times I have lost and gained back 15-20kg in my life.
Only option is to permanently change eating habits and what you eat. Find healthy substitutes for what you eat so its a permanent solution. You can always cheat once in a while if you manage your diet properly. Infact Im going to change mine soon too even though im not fat. Just want to be healthy and fit.

I have been on six meals a week diet for over a year. One meal every day except Saturday when I fast. There is no way I am going back to 3 meals a day.

My understanding is that sugar isn't the only energy source for the body. If the sugar levels become low, the body switches to ketones.

I have been on six meals a week diet for over a year. One meal every day except Saturday when I fast. There is no way I am going back to 3 meals a day.

My understanding is that sugar isn't the only energy source for the body. If the sugar levels become low, the body switches to ketones.
Kudos to you man. I did it very happily for 3 months before the lockdown and then relapsed to 2 meals a day and have been there since the beginning of the lockdown. The major benefit I found in following IF or OMAD over LCHF or Keto diet is that we don't have to alter our recipes or diets by much and still get most of the benefits.

Kudos to you man. I did it very happily for 3 months before the lockdown and then relapsed to 2 meals a day and have been there since the beginning of the lockdown. The major benefit I found in following IF or OMAD over LCHF or Keto diet is that we don't have to alter our recipes or diets by much and still get most of the benefits.
I have been experimenting with diets for about six years. Relapses are a part of the longer journey. So don't worry about that.

The important thing is to find a good 'why'. 'I want to lose 20kgs' or 'it will help me avoid diabetes' doesn't work. It has to come from a deeper place. The guy who came up with the name 'warrior diet' knew something about how the mind works.

Another way of looking helps. The diet is not just about you. If you work on finding a better pattern of life, the next generation starts off with more tools. I always talk about food with the kids in family (my own generation is all vegetarians. I don't waste my time with them :)). I have achieved some success in getting them to drop sugar and increase saturated fat and animal protein consumption.

Last edited:
Nothing happens if you are a normal person (non-diabetic).
I do complete blood tests twice or once a year and my sugar levels are mostly low...in 85s range.
Also, I have a very high metabolic rate and instantly feel hungry every 3-4hrs even after having full fledged meals.
Doctors keep advising to eat sugar and sweet but I don't like sweet much.
These low levels only hurt me when I fall sick and weakness occurs as it takes me a good 10-15days to recover from the illness weakness.
Even my BP drops during weakness and all these symptoms are normal.

BP & sugar are best to be low and controlled than being on higher side and suffer lifelong with popping pills forever...

Well, this is a first hand-experience of me getting hunger headaches like you mentioned. I do know that my body runs out of the appropriate amount of blood sugar from time to time. And sometimes it leads to minor blackouts. This usually happens when I have been dehydrated for a long time or hadn't had food in the morning after an empty stomach. The headaches are surely an indication of the body telling me to eat and we must always listen to our body. I have read about it a lot.

Like me, most people do feel the effects and symptoms of low blood sugar when blood glucose levels are lower than 50 mg/dL. The most common symptoms and signs include nervousness, dizziness, trembling, sweating, hunger, weakness, and palpitations. In the long term, it might sometimes cause severe cases, leading to seizures and loss of consciousness.

Well, this is a first hand-experience of me getting hunger headaches like you mentioned. I do know that my body runs out of the appropriate amount of blood sugar from time to time. And sometimes it leads to minor blackouts. This usually happens when I have been dehydrated for a long time or hadn't had food in the morning after an empty stomach. The headaches are surely an indication of the body telling me to eat and we must always listen to our body. I have read about it a lot.

Like me, most people do feel the effects and symptoms of low blood sugar when blood glucose levels are lower than 50 mg/dL. The most common symptoms and signs include nervousness, dizziness, trembling, sweating, hunger, weakness, and palpitations. In the long term, it might sometimes cause severe cases, leading to seizures and loss of consciousness.
This usually happens to me. Even stress and anxieties make matter worse. In fact I'm gifted with Usain Bolt fastest metabolism and I get hungry every 3-4 hours. And I can eat same quantity meal every time. If I dont, sugar might fall and I suffer severe hunger pangs etc.

My mother has this low blood sugar issue in her body but believe me, hypoglycemia or low blood sugar is not an issue at all. In fact, it at all affects a person, the person just needs to eat or drink something sugary and this would offer benefits. My mother keeps some Electral or Glucon-D with her and eats these powders just like that when she feels anything. If you do not eat anything for too long, of course there are complications. So even this low blood sugar thing should be taken a bit seriously.
I completely agree with you. Most people who are aware that this is an issue with their body, they have to be consciously prepared for it. You mentioned Electral and Glucon-D which work great in such situations and are the most common sources of instant energy. But even naturally available sources such as a piece of fruit, like a banana, apple, or orange, a handful of raisins or grapes, organic juices with rich carbohydrate content, a tablespoon of honey or a cup of fat-free milk will also work instantly.
One of the easiest ways to quickly raise blood sugar is also to grab a quick snack. I have heard from many people that they keep a chocolate handy for emergencies.
Usually if one has taken 15 grams of carbs, after waiting for 15 minutes the blood sugar levels will surely go up again.

Back