What can I use a Raspberry Pi model 1B for?

I bought it years ago for no reason in particular, and it's been sitting there since then. I was hoping I could use it as a torrent machinebut I don't think it's capable of doing even that.

If you don't already have a network-wide ad blocking DNS server then install DietPi and on top of that install an adblocker such as AdGuard Home or Pi-hole.
Make the local IP address of that device as your DNS server in the router's LAN section so that every device on your network uses that as a DNS server.
Best use case for such an old SoC.

Last edited:
Another use case could be that of a printer server by getting your existing printer (assuming it's not a network printer) to connect to the network via the Pi.
I actually remember doing exactly that for the HP 1018 Laserjet which I owned at that point but had to jump through a lot of DIY hoops due to driver complications.
Do note that printing will be slow though.

How about nas with external powered usb drive ?
The 100 Mbps ethernet will test one's patience when doing file transfers. I have a pi 3b not 3b+ with a 100Mbps ethernet with a single external usb drive attached for running torrents and downloads. The network transfer to my local machine sucks. Will be adding a usb to ethernet adapter to improve speeds a little.

If you don't already have a network-wide ad blocking DNS server then install DietPi and on top of that install an adblocker such as AdGuard Home or Pi-hole.
Make the local IP address of that device as your DNS server in the router's LAN section so that every device on your network uses that as a DNS server.
Best use case for such an old SoC.
This sounds like a great idea. Just one thing; Would it still work if I plug the Pi down the network into an access point?All the ports on main switch are occupied. Not very knowledgeable about network stuff

Another use case could be that of a printer server by getting your existing printer (assuming it's not a network printer) to connect to the network via the Pi.
I actually remember doing exactly that for the HP 1018 Laserjet which I owned at that point but had to jump through a lot of DIY hoops due to driver complications.
Do note that printing will be slow though.
I actually don't have a printer at home. :p
How about nas with external powered usb drive ?
100 meg ethernet port XD

Back