What Electronic antiques and relics you got and why you refuse to dump them ?

Very interesting topic!

I started building computers at a very young age, and retained a few parts over the years, because of sentimental reasons. They got me through some rough times during my childhood, and offered a gateway into a more peaceful world!

Computer parts I still own AND still work:

1. Pentium II - 80523PY400512 (400 MHZ)
  2. GeForce FX 5200
  3. GeForce 6200
  4. GeForce 2
  5. GeForce 9600 GT
  6. Voodoo 3
  7. Voodoo Banshee

There are 3 specific phones I still have, which I refuse to part with:

1. Nokia N70 M -The N Series were just plain legendary phones
  2. OG Nokia NGage - The "Taco" phone which is something of a collectors' these days
  3. Nexus 4 - DAT GLASS BACK!

Still have the reel-to-reel player from the 70s and a transistor from the 60s belonging to my Grandfather that I kind of grew up with. Guess they are there as family heirlooms, even if they are next to useless.

In terms of personal devices, still have a working Nokia 5700 which was basically my first non-feature phone and a backbencher staple.

I've sony walkman (non functional) which was abused in high school days. Listing "O sanam" by lucky ali on loop and pop and albums.
Other than that I've 1992 purchased cassette "Hasna mana hai" voiced by Raju Srivastava (RIP). This one have my own recorded childhood voice for like 20 min.

Very interesting topic!

I started building computers at a very young age, and retained a few parts over the years, because of sentimental reasons. They got me through some rough times during my childhood, and offered a gateway into a more peaceful world!

Computer parts I still own AND still work:

1. Pentium II - 80523PY400512 (400 MHZ)
  2. GeForce FX 5200
  3. GeForce 6200
  4. GeForce 2
  5. GeForce 9600 GT
  6. Voodoo 3
  7. Voodoo Banshee

There are 3 specific phones I still have, which I refuse to part with:

1. Nokia N70 M -The N Series were just plain legendary phones
  2. OG Nokia NGage - The "Taco" phone which is something of a collectors' these days
  3. Nexus 4 - DAT GLASS BACK!

I used to have the NEXUS 4. That back glass was a looker.
About 50 dvds having naughty america contents written. Downloaded for days with dial up connection. Antique in their own rights.
Lol.
I still have the following :

NEXUS 5 - Have a few fond memories with it.
PS3 Slim Console - My first Playstation Console. Still plays games. Cousins love to play the odd games on it.
Sony walkman - Still works (but the FM / AM meter is a gone.)
First PC Cabinet - Back from Pentium 4 days. Although the innards were upgraded to C2Q 8400 but lying unused now. I have plans to use the latest configuration PC with that Cabinet. Great MATX Cabinet and still holds good after a decade.

Last edited:
I think I have a truckload of antique items which I never experienced, came from my grand parents and my dad's collection.
  • 30+ Original Old HMV dated vinyl? records with MS Subbulakshmi and on Nehru's US Travel
  • A Japan imported SEIKO Multi Device has Cassette Player/Recorder, Record player, AM/FM/MW/SW. This was completely battered by rats and I am keeping for the remembrance
  • Two full boxes of Empty Floppy disks. I forgot the brand.
  • Mobiles: Working Nokia 1110 and 1110i(cousin of famous 1100 one with White and another with green backlight), Working Samsung Galaxy S, Fully battered Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  • Some Vaccuum Tube based Radio with glowing green bar for the signal strength. Condition unknown.
  • I have a old tower with, Core 2 Duo processor with DDR2 RAM, I guess.
All of them I have used or have some memories attached to them. The Seiko player was so big and I have a hope that I could repair it some day.

The mobiles have the obvious reasons which accompanied me in my college days.

About 50 dvds having naughty america contents written. Downloaded for days with dial up connection. Antique in their own rights.
Same here..in 40-50dvds and cds contains ahem stuff incl. earlier days so called high res pics measuring in kbs in 1024 res and torrents and p2p downloaded stuff. I have and will keep this treasure. When I googled, I didnt found any of those collections...must say those are golden even if they are in low-res.
It will always remind me of those low-speed struggles and old time fun!

Last edited:
Same here..in 40-50dvds and cds contains ahem stuff incl. earlier days so called high res pics measuring in kbs in 1024 res and torrents and p2p downloaded stuff. I have and will keep this treasure. When I googled, I didnt found any of those collections...must say those are golden even if they are in low-res.
It will always remind me of those low-speed struggles and old time fun!
Although back then it was considered quite high quality, I mean 360p/480p etc. That and thanks to LG CRT monitors with 1024*768 res making the videos look awesome.
Honestly, even keeping the emotions apart, I would prefer those days over present with the never ending demands despite having so much.
Anyway, some true antiques obviously as others have mentioned are some record players, air cooler sized radios and whatnot. All these from grandfathers or fathers gen. Never paid much attention behind them and I fear they will waste away. I am POS not knowing how to take care of old stuffs.

Although back then it was considered quite high quality, I mean 360p/480p etc. That and thanks to LG CRT monitors with 1024*768 res making the videos look awesome.
Correct! I think everyone owned that LG crts. Awesome gaming graphics and a great monitor within 4-5k budget.
Honestly, even keeping the emotions apart, I would prefer those days over present with the never ending demands despite having so much.
True!
Anyway, some true antiques obviously as others have mentioned are some record players, air cooler sized radios and whatnot. All these from grandfathers or fathers gen. Never paid much attention behind them and I fear they will waste away. I am POS not knowing how to take care of old stuffs.
Just clean them and store safely in a plcae where they are unlikely to be disturbed. Make sure to unwrap them once a year or so, expose to air like keeping them open in your house for a day or two and back again repack!

The oldest functioning electronics I have that I still use today is a Pogoplug from 2010 that I purchased as new old stock in 2016, I'm using it as a non-critical nas every day when I roleplay as a devops engineer and ignore my actual degree.

The oldest functioning device that still works is a 12" Powerbook G4 from 2003, the battery still holds charge! I first started using OS X in 2006 when I installed it on my Shuttle XPC, bought a white Macbook a year later, couldn't reconcile how expensive it was so I sold it a year later and replaced it with a Mac mini and a 12" Powerbook G4 — then sold both to help pay for a gaming pc and ended up regretting it. I found a near mint one a few years for $75 and bought it immediately.

For me, the golden age of computing was in the sub 1GHz era, around 1999. Companies in the west started marketing "Internet Appliances" and to me, they were amazing machines.

Cheap, slow, perfect for single-purpose machines. My favorite of these devices is the Webplayer, I've owned three or four over the years. For years, i used one as a winamp station.

I still have two that I hope to refurbish the form factor with modern components someday. Of everything I own, these are the most special to me.

I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 which I bought in 2001 (got it through someone known from Amsterdam). It costed me around 30k plus with rechargeable battery, charger and 8MB extra memory stick (I think it had 4MB in the box, 128MB was bought later). It was huge money (for me at least) 22 years ago.

Just now noticed, the power strip (MX Brand) in the sample pic is still with me. In fact it was in full time use with my PC till few months ago, I replaced it when I needed 6 plugs. It still works fine and was used last month when an electrician wanted some extension.

Also have a 512MB MicroSD card which I bought in 2005 for Rs.2100.

Attachments

• P1.jpeg
    P1.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Sample.JPG
    Sample.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Posting pics (found on the web) of my Casio PB2000C handheld computer I had back in the early 90s and my ZX Spectrum which I had in the mid 80s.

Learnt to program BASIC on the Spectrum and good old C on the Casio!

Casio_PB-2000C.jpgZX_Spectrum128K.jpg

The Casio even came with a module (like an SD card) for the PROLOG language which was used for AI and NLP even back then. Never was able to grasp it though heh. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolog
The 128GB SSD must have cost a fortune at the time.

I don't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't too much. It was my first SSD which I bought when visiting the UK for a work assignment back around 2009. Was blown away by how my PC (windows/linux) performance was transformed by the super fast boot times and applications responsiveness.

In fact, bought a second 64gb same model the next year and that one is STILL GOING STRONG in a Dell Inspiron all-in-one PC running Win10 today. The 128gb one died a couple of years ago.

Back