What Investment mistakes you made that you want others to avoid?

Which funds? I am talking about net returns after cutting fees, tax etc.

The fact is no one knows that answer.

It is like a merry-go-round. Funds' performance keeps changing. If you want it reasonable just buy Index funds and sit tight. You won't beat the market, but then again most active funds also don't.

The fact is no one knows that answer.

It is like a merry-go-round. Funds' performance keeps changing. If you want it reasonable just buy Index funds and sit tight. You won't beat the market, but then again most active funds also don't.
Good funds beat market. Good stocks beat good funds. Multibaggers beat Thor! :)

Last edited:
Good funds beat market. Good stocks beat good funds.
what i see in this thread is that people are suggesting index funds, blue chip, large cap as the best thing since sliced bread.

the more important thing imo is being able to do valuation correctly.

Hi members :)

It's good to see this sort of discussions in a tech forum.

I had enrolled into a few endowment policies from LIC (one of my family member is an LIC agent) about 3 years ago when I started earning. Later as time passed and I realised about the other investment options, I regret a lot for getting those policies. I have been investing in mutual funds too from a couple of years now, but something that I haven't done is discontinue the LIC policies.

I wanted to get some opinion from members here, can I get these policies cancelled by visiting the LIC branch without the agent(my relative) knowing about this? Also, since its well over 3 years now, does it make sense to cancel this?

I had enrolled into a few endowment policies from LIC (one of my family member is an LIC agent) about 3 years ago when I started earning. Later as time passed and I realised about the other investment options, I regret a lot for getting those policies. I have been investing in mutual funds too from a couple of years now, but something that I haven't done is discontinue the LIC policies.

I wanted to get some opinion from members here, can I get these policies cancelled by visiting the LIC branch without the agent(my relative) knowing about this? Also, since its well over 3 years now, does it make sense to cancel this?
Why would you cancel insurance policy? Insurance and investments are two different things. Always remember that.

Your relative will probably get to find out if he wants to. Their incentives are based on it. I would still cancel everything lol and invest in mutual funds/stocks.

My uncle bought 4 flats @1800 per square feet in Boisar 8+ years ago, there was a port coming there.
But the port project got cancelled and he is still stuck with those flats..
1 to 2 BHK flats, invested around 75-80 lakhs.

Anyone got ideas about the flat rates there ?
It is in Vrindavan Nagri

My uncle bought 4 flats @1800 per square feet in Boisar 8+ years ago, there was a port coming there.
But the port project got cancelled and he is still stuck with those flats..
1 to 2 BHK flats, invested around 75-80 lakhs.

Anyone got ideas about the flat rates there ?
It is in Vrindavan Nagri
No idea about rates but check this :

1628268688700.png

I would get rid of the properties ASAP even at a loss.

general gyan -
I saw in some queries about LIC, for them

1. DO NOT MIX INSURANCE WITH INVESTMENT
2. DO NOT TAKE LIC INSURANCE POLICY FOR INS/INV PURPOSE, I SAY DO NOT TAKE LIC AT ALL !!!

For above requirement, purchase a term insurance policy AND a high rated "large" or "large and mid cap" mutual fund.

Equities are a long game, more than 3 years. Do not invest for lesser periods. Last year was an exception and you don't want a similar situation again

My 2 cents :cool:

Regarding cancelling your LIC policies, yes, its possible and I know as I did it

First, check online about how much amount you can get back if you surrender your policy.
Get your local LIC helpline from the LIC website, tell that guy your policy number and ask how much you can get back
If you are satisfied with the amount, you need to approach your home LIC branch with your original policy doc physically and get it done

Do note that some policies will give very less amount if surrendered before "X" years, so, better know all details about your policies and close them for good !!!

And as for your relative, he will know about your blasphemy when he gets lesser commission amount probably at year end :p

Why would you cancel insurance policy? Insurance and investments are two different things. Always remember that.
No. What I mean is, cancelling endowment policy from LIC and opting for some Term insurance. I'm paying out a huge sum annually for the LIC policies.

Your relative will probably get to find out if he wants to. Their incentives are based on it. I would still cancel everything lol and invest in mutual funds/stocks.
I was reading a bit on the same, I also read that if I end up surrendering my endowment policies, the tax exemptions claimed on all previous years will be sort of taxable again. Is that right? I'm kind of confused on this part.

Last offer checked 3 years ago was 2200 per square feet.
That too for only 1 flat.
Biggest mistake ever made here.
Sell it for whatever you get. You can recover if you invest .. sooner the better but it will be very hard to convince your uncle.
A family I know bought a non built builder flat in 2014. Till now they pay 36 k per month home loan installment for a house that is yet to be constructed! Beat that. I know many who took loans and started EMIs and the builders just ran off to Canada or somewhere. 28-48 L ongoing loans they stopped paying the bank, their cibils screwed for life as the bank does not give a dayam about what/why happened by whom/where.

A few days back bought Voda-Idea shares in anticipation of profiting, rate tanked and sold at a loss.

Next day shorted the share, rate went high up, again had to bear a loss while settling the trade!

Crazy stuff with this script really.

A few days back bought Voda-Idea shares in anticipation of profiting, rate tanked and sold at a loss.

Next day shorted the share, rate went high up, again had to bear a loss while settling the trade!

That is what you get for trying to predict the market. Market is irrational.

Finally in the Green with my Crypto investments. Not exactly sure by how much because WazirX doesn't show PNL -_-

Started investing in Feb just months before the big correction. Hoping for atleast 2x more on some alt coins before this bull run ends. I just hope I have the strength to pull out when I reach my target returns.

You traded contrary to your own belief or rather due to its absence. First you invested thinking it will go higher and then shorted expecting it to drop. I am heavily invested in Vodafone and you don't trade in such scrips without a clear understanding of the company's future and patience. Do understand there is a difference between trading and investing.

In case of telecom sector, Bharti Airtel is the best scrip and the one to keep adding when market corrects.
Finally in the Green with my Crypto investments. Not exactly sure by how much because WazirX doesn't show PNL -_-
Haha.. I always think that I will get rid of $200 worth of Doge in my portfolio as soon as it's in green and when it does come in green I delay selling thinking that it will 100x any moment (jk) and then it's back to red in a few hours lol.

Back