What Investment mistakes you made that you want others to avoid?

Do not invest into IPOs just because of FOMO / just because everyone else is doing so. Lost about 15k on the PayTM IPO just because of this. Make sure you understand the underlying business of every stock you invest in.

Forget about websites bro , the first priority is your friends health , next is insurance , a reputed doctor would provide best suggestion and opinion , I have deep contacts with CMC Vellore , I am talking about Drs like Dr Suranjan Bhattacharjee, Dr Vrisha Madhuri , Dr Kenny S David ...etc , please ping me asap , will provide you my contact number , and help you in whatever way possible ....
Regards
Forget about websites bro , the first priority is your friends health , next is insurance , a reputed doctor would provide best suggestion and opinion , I have deep contacts with CMC Vellore , I am talking about Drs like Dr Suranjan Bhattacharjee, Dr Vrisha Madhuri , Dr Kenny S David ...etc , please ping me asap , will provide you my contact number , and help you in whatever way possible ....
Regards
Brother the first priorty is your friends health , investment comes later , i am pretty sure , there are many members who all together can make arrangements ..........

Last edited:
Do not invest into IPOs just because of FOMO / just because everyone else is doing so. Lost about 15k on the PayTM IPO just because of this. Make sure you understand the underlying business of every stock you invest in.
IPOs are crap. One can get lucky once, not every time. You can make money in one IPO and loose in the next one. They target our greed.

Chitra Ramkrishna, the former CEO and MD of NSE, India’s largest stock exchange with a combined market capitalisation of close to $4 trillion, was guided by a yogi residing in the Himalayas for the appointment of Anand Subramanian, little-known in the industry, as the exchange’s chief operating officer (COO) in 2013. The appointment cost NSE ₹5 crore.

Ramkrishna referred to the unknown yogi as “Sironmani” [the exalted one] and shared with him information such as NSE’s five year projections, financial data, dividend ratio, business plans, agenda of board meeting, and even consulted him on employee performance appraisals.

:oops:o_Oo_O

banned? What happened? Is there any way of knowing what happened when someone gets banned. just Curious
There's one thread, but it only applies to Market section:

If you are investing in mutual funds, the best time to invest is when the markets have tanked.
If you are investing in mutual funds, the best time to invest is Now.

This applies at any point in time.

As I keep telling people, if you time the market incorrectly, you might get lower returns, but if you never invest, you'll get zero returns.

If you are investing in mutual funds, the best time to invest is Now.

This applies at any point in time.

As I keep telling people, if you time the market incorrectly, you might get lower returns, but if you never invest, you'll get zero returns.
Nope, invest when the market has dipped, it cannot run 1 way forever. Whenever you see a good dip, invest.
There are people who had invested when market touched 18K, they are weeping now as NAV's have taken a bad hit.

And many follow the self proclaimed YT gurus, who have been bashed left right & center multiple times yet they have a fan following.

Source : Used to look after a company's accounts which had Nearly 90 crores invested in Mutual Funds at any point of time, managed to pick good funds from there worst was JM Financial, terrible performer, 10L invested became 3L, it never grew.

Zero returns or FD returns are better then negative returns as the newbies will sooner or later understand.

Now imagine inflation + negative market returns.

Market is full of vultures, all after the small guy money (this is my take away after 10 years in market). Nearly all companies cook the books depending upon whether they want to accumulate or sell, just ask the neighbourly CA.

There is no way to know when the market has "dipped" to its minimum. Plus the uncontrollable inflation combined with ongoing war and political instability in the US means that we don't know when this decline of markets will stop. There are rumours of another recession and housing price crash. I would stay away from investing more in the market right now and wait for signs of stability.

Obviously I am holding my previous investments because I would not sell them at this value.

There is no way to know when the market has "dipped" to its minimum. Plus the uncontrollable inflation combined with ongoing war and political instability in the US means that we don't know when this decline of markets will stop. There are rumours of another recession and housing price crash. I would stay away from investing more in the market right now and wait for signs of stability.
I never said dipped to minimum, just a dip from upside rally.

Lowest dip would be a 0

I am visiting this thread after a long time and I still cringe at some of the "investment advice" dished out.
I really wish the Mods put a disclaimer at the top of this thread in Big Red letters.

Nope, invest when the market has dipped, it cannot run 1 way forever. Whenever you see a good dip, invest.
There are people who had invested when market touched 18K,
Most people don't have the time or energy to monitor the market. They think they'll invest during a dip, but when the market actually dips, they keep waiting till it starts to go up again. Mostly you'll just miss the opportunity.

Best way is to just set up an SIP and not look at the market.

And yes, people who invested 6 months ago would be at huge losses. That's why you need to understand that equity is not a short term investment. Just keep investing, your costs will get averaged out. 5 years later, it wouldn't matter that you invested some money at 18k, you'll still be in profits.

The biggest mistake people make is to wait for the right time to invest, and then end up never investing at all.

I've been working in the mutual fund industry for 6 years, I've seen way too many live examples of this.

In this era of subterfuge, can somebody share a link explaining SIP in detail?
I would recommend reading the following articles to get an understanding of SIP. These are relatively free of any marketing bias.

Disclosure: three of the above articles are my own and the fourth is of a then colleague. However, I'm no longer working with FundsIndia.

Back