What Investment mistakes you made that you want others to avoid?

Hi guys, which is the right option to select when selecting mode for MF investments, have to select this in ICICI Direct portal:

Regular Physical Form vs Demat Form.
Why are you doing it via ICICI? Then you'd be restricted to their Mutual Funds only.

Do it via Kuvera or Groww. Or via MFUOnline if you can get tolerate 90s interface.

Is using Kuvera to track mutual funds (only those, not dabbling in stocks for now) a bad idea? Would you guys recommend it or should I stay away from the platform?
I use indmoney to track stuff. But they ask for A LOT of personal info and the way they boast about top notch privacy and security makes me even more wary.
They do provide clean and informative ui with easy to understand summary of your stuff. But nothing is free, the amount of sensetive stuff they have would be easy money from advertisers.
Will revert back to good old offline excel sheets probably soon. Excel and mycams is more than enough.

Excel and mycams is more than enough.
Why didn't I think of this earlier >.<
Guess I got caught up in fomo as well, since I was satisfied with the monthly report before. Oh well, thanks for pointing me towards this!
Only track ? you can use any platform.
You want to invest ? currently, seems like its doing decent.

I wrote a bit cumbersome, but a safer (I believe so) method just above, have a look
I just wanted a way to see everything in one place conveniently (and don't intend to invest in stock market, so don't want to do demat for now), have already made all investments for now. But yes, investment is also a factor since my bank's portal (Axis) does not have all funds listed and it's very cumbersome to go to each fund company's website to invest in stuff. But have decided to use excel, altho already made Kuvera account. Thanks for your replies!

@Mr.J @Rockfella

Had to select the option after ICICI sent lot of emails to convert my nearly 2 decade old local saving + demat account to NRI.

I don't mind 90's style interface, if it gets the job done securely and stable enough. In fact, would prefer such an interface.

Thanks...

was looking for term insurance in the market .But came across a video wherein it sheds light there are multiple set of exclusions included on the private players policy bond .where as lic has a higher premium but does honor the claim and it only has suicide clause as exclusion nothing like force majeure etc

How true are the above videos

Is this a good time to start investing in stocks. How do i find stocks to invest in the current market? I am not interested in MFs.

a good time to start investing in stocks
As good time as any.
Though some prefer when there is bloodbath in the market as things are available for discount (due to panic selling).

Timing with regards to individual stocks depends much more on the stock rather than with regards to market.
How do i find stocks to invest in the current market?
That is complex question, and I don't think this can be answered easily.

I'm sorry if this is not much help. Happy to answer any queries.

Is this a good time to start investing in stocks. How do i find stocks to invest in the current market? I am not interested in MFs.
Check out indiainvesments wiki and zerodha varsity. Excellent resources.

I am myself always confused what stock to buy and hence I stick to Bluechip companies. I understand that these companies won't give me lots of profit over short period and I am not even expecting that. I am a long term investor.

As far as mistakes, I regret NOT investing the money I had while I was in US as I had plans to stay there only but it didn't materialize. I should have invested that amount in India and if and when relocating to US would have happened, I could take that money out.
At one point I had close to $50K in US Bank account which would have turned me lots of profit had I invested in mutual funds and stocks here then.

do you understand Long term and Short term investment ?
Depends on your definition of long term and short term.

Smallcase seems to be even offering 'All Weather Investing' among many other methods including short term investment tools:

"All Weather Investing
A recession proof way to build long term wealth. The All Weather Investing smallcase is a portfolio of equity, gold & fixed income ETFs
Stable Returns - Lower Risk - Minimal Fees"

Smart Beta: https://www.smallcase.com/collection/smart-beta-611b4870ce47071d4242e86f

So, whatever floats your boat.

how and where to invest for short term which would beat the inflation
The safest way i know how is to spread your investments between Gold and Large Caps for Capital safety and for beating inflation figures. Gold in this case becomes your defensive investment and Large Caps becomes your safe growth option which generally tends to beats inflation healthily.
Given the situation currently though, where the stock markets are largely driven by liquidity currently, It also is said to be very careful in choosing equity stocks in terms of valuation. But if that is looked into, I strongly believe that this combination is one of the most powerful options to beat inflation.

Why didn't I think of this earlier >.<
I am using Kuvera as well, for past 2-3 years actually. Mycams is also a good option but it doesn't support a few AMCs which are registered with Karvy ig and the UI is too bland.
How do i find stocks to invest in the current market? I am not interested in MFs.
If you are asking this question, then it is definitely not a good time to invest in stocks.

Start with investing in MFs. Read up all the basics on Zerodha's Varsity. Then shortlist the stocks to invest in via Screener.in, start with a small amount, make some losses - buy high, sell low, learn from your mistakes and then make a strategy and start investing more. This process took me an year easily, you can do it faster but you'll have to follow through nonetheless. Also, brokers like Motilal, HDFC, ICICI also recommend some stocks - you can follow them too but fyi not all their recommendations bear fruit.

any views on above mentioned
Why don't you go through the literature once? I got my term insurance from HDFC Life 4 years back and read the terms completely and I found that to be the best at that time but don't remember them now. Terms do change from time to time, so its better to read them yourself. And yeah, private players do exclude some stuff out but then they offer add-ons which you can buy, for eg I had to buy an add-on for Critical Illness along with term insurance.

Last edited:
What about going for a porfolio management service? Saurabh Mukhergea of Marcellus Investment is very popular these days.

What about going for a porfolio management service? Saurabh Mukhergea of Marcellus Investment is very popular these days.
Any PMS has minimun starting amount to invest, which is normally 50Lakh and more. Popular doesnt mean good for investors, he is a good orator though. You can search his portfolios. They are out in public. If you have that kinda money, better to opt a PMS and concentrate on more important task i.e earning the money ;)

Looking for some guidance regarding Kuvera app as I guess lots of people use it for tracking purpose. Does the app autoupdates the SIP transactions every month or you need to enter it manually??

Back