What is the best alternative to Winamp audio player?

Karan Verma

Recruit
As we know Winamp is shutting after 15 years, that left us a question.. what are the best alternative to Winamp. I know many of us are already using many other audio players but I want to know which one they found most incredible?

Does Winamp shutting mean you cannot download the software from alternate sources ? You can right ? If yes then you can still continue using winamp.
Correct me if i am wrong.

How about MediaMonkey? I have been using that for a long time.

I tried FooBar once but found applying a skin a real PITA and left.

Enhancer 0.17+Winamp 2.66 >>Foobar 2k
Reason being the time necessary to configure foobar is huge whereas winamp+enhancer provides great quality with little or no config

I'm using MediaMonkey since 2-3 years I guess. It's a great application. Another one I would recommend is MusicBee.

Foobar has already been mentioned; so, you can check that out as well. It suits the needs of most people.

Enhancer 0.17+Winamp 2.66 >>Foobar 2k
Reason being the time necessary to configure foobar is huge whereas winamp+enhancer provides great quality with little or no config

Foobar is like a Bonsai tree; you trim it according to your preferences and over time what you get is exactly what you need, does exactly what you want and is truly your own masterpiece.

Although I haven't used Foobar, but to me, it looks like a player for geeks, if I can say so :D.

From a general user point of view, I think they would look for a good interface first, and then other features. Like, I consider myself a general user in terms of listening to music on my computer. I don't need many features... I just need a good player which will play the music on my computer. I don't want to spend my time with the settings. For my purpose, Aimp3 is great.

Other users who are more enthusiastic about their music, might consider a player like Foobar, which can be customized, and add-ons can be added to it.

People who like to organize their collection might look for a different player like MediaMonkey, or MusicBee.

I guess it depends on a personal choice.

Does Winamp shutting mean you cannot download the software from alternate sources ? You can right ? If yes then you can still continue using winamp.
Correct me if i am wrong.
Yes you can still download Winamp from other sources but only the old one... there would be no newer version.

Although I haven't used Foobar, but to me, it looks like a player for geeks, if I can say so :D.

From a general user point of view, I think they would look for a good interface first, and then other features. Like, I consider myself a general user in terms of listening to music on my computer. I don't need many features... I just need a good player which will play the music on my computer. I don't want to spend my time with the settings. For my purpose, Aimp3 is great.

Other users who are more enthusiastic about their music, might consider a player like Foobar, which can be customized, and add-ons can be added to it.

People who like to organize their collection might look for a different player like MediaMonkey, or MusicBee.

I guess it depends on a personal choice.
I agree with you, a normal user uses an audio player just to listen to music, he doesn't bother with add-on and other settings. For a music freak its great to use Foobar but for a normal user I guess Aimp3 is better.. what about Jet audio ?

I haven't used Jet Audio since a long time. I had used it years ago, mainly for recording digitally from a tape recorder.

I guess JetAudio is also good, but maybe too bulky, if you want just a music player? I don't know though, haven't looked at its feature list, or haven't used it. Will have to look and see. It remains a good option though, depends on preference.

I have downloaded Foobar after reading many posts about it here, will give it a try too, although I think I might still end up with Aimp3 :D. For me, visual appearances do matter.

any music player which has lyric download capability built in ? I know there is fb2k+minilyrics but its become paid :( Alternatives?

Back