PC Peripherals what is the fastest and easiest way to transfer data between desktop and a notbook?

What is the fastest,easiest and safest way to transfer data between desktop and notebook??I will be frequently/regularily transferring large data files(4gb to 50 gb) from one to the other.

LAN cable transfer is at roughly 6MBps (thats what it said in Vista when i was trasferring a couple of days back). If you can get your hands on a USB 2.0 usb-usb cable (not the normal one), try that too.

After assigning IPs, make sure the Workgroup is the same on bothe the comps and share atleast 1 partition on both of them :)

Even normal 10/100 lan thru cat5 will give you 12.5MBps. :p Use cat6 for gigabit transfers, if both PC and laptop have gigabit.

SharekhaN said:
a crossed over lan cable should suit you fine .
Thats the *point* to take, a straight through won't work. Make sure you mention the word 'cross'.

Reagrding the speed, i think it should be 100Mb/s provided both the pcs have nic that support it, otherwise it will default to the slowest of the two.

blr_p said:
Thats the *point* to take, a straight through won't work. Make sure you mention the word 'cross'.

Reagrding the speed, i think it should be 100Mb/s provided both the pcs have nic that support it, otherwise it will default to the slowest of the two.

Dosen't matter for newer lan cards... they work for both strt thru and cross

not every PC has firwire

ur best bet is a LAN wire (Cat 6 if ur lappy and PC supports Gigabit Ethernet for speeds around 20-30MBPS and Cat 5 for 12 MBPS)

I dont think these days cross wires are a necessity, normals should work just fine, but just to be safe get a Crossed one

other then that, assign IP addresses and workgroup and u r done

u could also create a FTP server and client setup to do the same

PriyoBan said:

@ Priyoban ... this is definately news for me ..not that i dont agree or anything ...any specific details on the chipset or the variety of lancards that support this ?

PriyoBan said:
How does one tell ?

..whether straight thru will work.

Trial & error is fine but it would be nice to know anyway :)

just noticed the 4-50Gb req..heh, looks like gigabit ethernet is preferable then.

blr_p said:

A straight, normal LAN cable will do fine. Tried and tested :hap2:

just having a CAT6 cable wont do, u need to have gigabit lan cards on you, something i dont think comes in Laptops till now

@czar, even if he gets Firewire for his PC (and thats assuming that the laptop has it) he'll plug the firewire in the PCI slot which is pretty much limited to 133Mbps....so back to square one

IMO USB to USB transfer via a 2.0 cable is what he should be looking for if he doesnt have native firewire or gigabit ethernet on both systems

^ You know the thing is Usb to Usb 2.0 cables aren't easy to come by. Infact, not ONE shop on sp road (blore) had it! My friend went and bought a 1.1 wire! :mad:

well even so, thats THE only option if some one wants a speedy transfer without gigabit ethernet or firewire

oh and if some one does find a USB2.0 cable, lemme kno too :eek:hyeah:

Well i am using a Dell Inspiron 9400 lap.It only has a '10/100 Fast Ethernet". It however does have bluetooth,IEEE 1394(firewire) and wifi though.Also I have a crappy desktop which i plan to dump soon and get a new one.

So tell me which is better option for me-- CAT5(since CAT6 will be useless?? since my lap doesn't have gigabit lan), firewire, wifi or the usb option??I am currently leaning towards the firewire option (since it appears to be the fastest).......I will assemble my new PC accordingly.

Back