PC Peripherals what is the fastest and easiest way to transfer data between desktop and a notbook?

I think the firewire might be better (provided its 800 & not 400)..thing with USB is it bursts things across...im under the impression if you are transferring GBs of stuff, the sustained throughput would be

Firewire > ethernet > usb

Forget the specs of firewire 400 and Gigabit LAN....

any decent firewire cable on even firewire 400 will give you sustained thoroughputs better than a gigabit LAN and far better than USB 2.0..

Tried and tested umpteen times..

Though on a side note, in any case , your data transfer speeds wouldn't exceed the write speed of the 5400 rpm disk on your laptop which would be 25-30 MB/s

so even if your connection reaches a real speed of 400 mbps, you wouldn't get a 400/8 = 50MB/s

Avoid USB completely for sustained DT...much higher chances of corruption than firewire or ethernet

^^ Thx a lot...Can you suggest any decent firewire cable that will do the job?? Are they easy to get and how much do they cost??

Also how to find out whether the firewire in my lap is 400 or 800??

BTW, my lap's write speed is 7,200 rpm not 5400.

^^ Just make sure the new PC u get has onboard firewire

@ superczar

any decent firewire cable on even firewire 400 will give you sustained thoroughputs better than a gigabit LAN and far better than USB 2.0..

how come firewire at 400 would give better throughput then gigabit LAN, assuming that the HDD's were actually capable of such speeds

Gigabit Lan is supposed to be a theoretical 125MBPS, In 100Mbps we do get full speeds, so is there a particular reason that the transfer in Gigabit would be crippled?

arrow055 said:
What is the fastest,easiest and safest way to transfer data between desktop and notebook??I will be frequently/regularily transferring large data files(4gb to 50 gb) from one to the other.

Whatever the hardware, I suggest that you use SyncToy to keep your files in sync. I use it to keep my laptop, home computer and external hard drive (over 50000 files and almost 80 GB of data) in sync. It's a truly one -click solution and best of all, its free

superczar said:
Forget the specs of firewire 400 and Gigabit LAN....

Tried and tested umpteen times..

Though on a side note, in any case , your data transfer speeds wouldn't exceed the write speed of the 5400 rpm disk on your laptop which would be 25-30 MB/s
so even if your connection reaches a real speed of 400 mbps, you wouldn't get a 400/8 = 50MB/s

Avoid USB completely for sustained DT...much higher chances of corruption than firewire or ethernet
Tried both.... GbE trumps 1394 all day long in transfer speeds. Basically you are limited by host hard drive speeds as long as both sides have PCI-E NICs.

ohhhh, u meant that kind ok

on a slighlty OT, does any one kno of good Gigabit Ethernet Switches (a 4 port one will do), how much do they retail for?

For both Gb LAN and firewire, your bottleneck will be the HDD speed...

A Decent Firewire cable should be around 200-300/-

Chaos, when i tried transferring data thru Gb LAN , i got not more than 25KB/s

while I got 30+ on firewire

I know neither of these speeds are limited by the speed of the interface since both should be able to support better speeds than these but perhaps there are more overheads in data shaping and correction over LAN?

Ank1t said:
^ You know the thing is Usb to Usb 2.0 cables aren't easy to come by. Infact, not ONE shop on sp road (blore) had it! My friend went and bought a 1.1 wire! :mad:

I bought one cable from Bridgade road :D

I want to sell it off for 700rs (bought it for 800, hardly used) . works fine , sometimes drops connection .. its Bafo Direct LinQ 2.0 . its a usb 2.0 file transfer cable

Back