Laptops What is the use of Full HD screen on a laptop?

hotshot05

Skilled
I am looking to buy a new laptop and am evaluating my options. I found that the Lenovo Z50-70 has a Full HD screen.

I mostly watch TV series rips which have the resolution of 720 x 404 pixels.
If I view my files on a full HD screen, won't there be big black bands covering a large part of the screen? To cover the screen, I think I will have to use the stretch option on VLC.
I have seen how bad normal SD channels (Tata Sky) look on a HD ready LCD TV when upscaled by the set top box. Will my content look like that if I try to upscale the files to fit the screen?

If I try to play games, won't the extra pixels on screen tax the GPU more? If it was a normal 1366 x 768 pixel screen, I think the frame rate would have had been a bit more.

Please tell me what are the advantages of a full HD screen.
(I have a BSNL EVDO connection. Max 2Mbps. So I do not go for the big files normally. Only for movies I get the low file size 720p content)

One Advantage is it would give you more space to work with.
If you tend to work from home, having a full HD display is really useful, you have ample space to arrange your windows and connecting to remote PC's using the same or better resolution is always better.
After using a full HD display , I find it difficult to adjust with 1366 X 768 laptops.

If I try to play games, won't the extra pixels on screen tax the GPU more? If it was a normal 1366 x 768 pixel screen, I think the frame rate would have had been a bit more.

You can always choose the resolution during gameplay, so thats not an issue. Movies etc upscale just fine and you will have a lot more room space working with everything else. Its worth going for it...imagine apple has retina display for 13.3" laptop and they are not stupid :p

Last edited:
More space to work is a good reason to buy one. I have a Sony Vaio laptop with 1080p screen resolution and i am now comfortable with it. More space is always welcome. Entire webpage fitting properly without need to horizontal scroll. Many such cases.
I watch SD resolution TV shows on this and they show up just fine.

if laptops were competing with the mobile phones, 4k screens should've been standard by now IMO

You can always choose the resolution during gameplay, so thats not an issue. Movies etc upscale just fine and you will have a lot more room space working with everything else. Its worth going for it...imagine apple has retina display for 13.3" laptop and they are not stupid :p

More space to work is a good reason to buy one. I have a Sony Vaio laptop with 1080p screen resolution and i am now comfortable with it. More space is always welcome. Entire webpage fitting properly without need to horizontal scroll. Many such cases.
I watch SD resolution TV shows on this and they show up just fine.

Do the fonts look smaller? (compared to 1366 x 768 px display)

I have not encountered too many sites where I had to scroll horizontally. Seems most are optimized for 1200 px (horizontal) screens.

@raksrules Does the SD content scale up automatically?

If you zoom in, the horizontal bars will be back. Right? [emoji48]
let me put it this way... for a screen with resolution 1366 x 768, the aspect ratio would be 1.78:1 but if you are watching the movie Interstellar whose aspect ratio is 2.35 : 1 which is more than your screen's aspect ratio. when you stretch it to the full resolution of the screen without making any changes to the aspect ratio, you will get bars. in this case, horizontal bars. similar thing will happen if you watch Gone Girl which is filmed in 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio.

on the other hand, if you watch The Dark Knight which has 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio and 1.44 : 1 aspect ratio in some scenes. In that case, you will see vertical bars during the bank heist scene and horizontal bars for the rest of the movie.

If you dont like bars, there are two solutions: either chop the edges to fill the screen, or stretch it in such a way that you will lose the original aspect ratio(This is possible in MPC-HC, VLC and most of the other players).

molar of the sotry is that bars are inevitable if you don't want to ruin the picture with stretched faces.

The windows desktop can render itself in any aspect ratio. so the applications, desktop etc... will never have any black bars.

well 1080p laptops are futureproof.

To give you a idea how high resolution 1080p is
when you open a 480p movie on your 720p screen it appears small and you have to full screen it
a 720p video will appear that small when you open it on 1080p screen!!

and texts and icons and everything will appear smaller.

you wont be downloading 1080p video now so you will experience no advantage there....a 480p and 720p video will appear same on a 1080p and 720p screen. no difference.

where you will have advantage is if you use visual studio or eclipse such programs...then you can fit more windows in the screen

texts in webpages will appear too small and you will have to zoom thus negating any advantage there

and high resolution is good in a tablet or mobile where you will use the device closer to your face.
a laptop on average is 1.5 to 2 feet away from you so its not likke you can see individual ppixels on the 720p screen.

most people would not be able to distinguish a 720pp screen from a 1080p screen at that distance if the scale was samee

The basic funda for me going only for 1080p or more in laptops is that all the 1366x768 laptop screens are absolutely terrible in quality, till now all laptop makers use atleast a decent quality 1080p panel, dont know about future but yeah for now death to 768p laptop screens!!

Till now I had been using a laptop which had a 14 inch screen and a display resolution of 1200 x 800 pixel. My brother bought a new laptop yesterday (15.6 inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixel). I played 720p content on both laptops and viewed them side by side. The movie looked terrible on the 15.6 inch screen. Absolutely terrible. I could see the pixels on the screen.

I checked out the Z50-70 in a Lenovo store yesterday. Font size looked good enough to me. But the display did not look that good. The contrast was not good. And viewing angles were also quite bad. And in a review(http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z50-70-59427656-Notebook-Review.124524.0.html) I read that the keyboard flexes quite a lot (The one on by brother's G510 is very sturdy and did not flex at all)

Looks like I will have to go for either a 14 inch laptop or a Full HD one via the Thailand(eBay) route.

I am looking to buy a new laptop and am evaluating my options. I found that the Lenovo Z50-70 has a Full HD screen.

I mostly watch TV series rips which have the resolution of 720 x 404 pixels.
If I view my files on a full HD screen, won't there be big black bands covering a large part of the screen? To cover the screen, I think I will have to use the stretch option on VLC.
I have seen how bad normal SD channels (Tata Sky) look on a HD ready LCD TV when upscaled by the set top box. Will my content look like that if I try to upscale the files to fit the screen?

Please tell me what are the advantages of a full HD screen.
(I have a BSNL EVDO connection. Max 2Mbps. So I do not go for the big files normally. Only for movies I get the low file size 720p content)

In a Full HD screen you can add more items in desktop. LOL.

Full HD in windows give double screen space compared to HD. It means you can do more work.

You can enjoy Full HD vidoes & hi resolution images in Full HD screen.

All PC's in my office is Full HD. Once you use Full HD screens you won't like to return to HD.

You will need minimum 3mbps net speed to stream FHD youtube videos

How do you connect Tata SKY to laptop?

Only TVs will upscale SD channels to full HD properly.

if laptops were competing with the mobile phones, 4k screens should've been standard by now IMO

As an owner of a 15 inch laptop with 3200 x 1800 resolution, I will never buy one again until Windows and apps have full support for them. Not only fonts, most of the apps looks very tiny in high resolutions. Some even have overlapping controls!

Back