What is your preferred online payment gateway/app and online wallet?

Gpay or CC is what I prefer.
I'm not on phonepe etc. Paytm I dont use even though registered. Amazon pay on for amazon shopping only.

Never ever used debit card in past 5yrs for swapping at any kiosk thanks to nos. of CC I hold.

Always carry only one debit card with just 5k odd cash loaded just for those in case situations..

Last edited:
Down south Googlepay is most popular, almost everyone uses Googlepay, Paytm is hardly used here.

Phonepe has been more reliable for me than Googlepay though, Googlepay sometimes shows issues in processing payments, however have never faced any such issue using Phonepe. Also read somewhere that Phonepe is more secure.

Google pay also gives small rewards. Have earned around 600rs as reward in last 18months.

I have stopped using cash and debit card. Almost 100% upi and neft. Have a seperate PMJDY account on which I keep 3-5k balance, which I use for UPI purpose. Any excess received in my UPI linked account will be transferred immediately to my main account.

Would like to hear senior members take on security using UPI!.

Googlepay sometimes shows issues in processing payments,
True that. I noticed this during mobile recharges. I always get the transaction number but often no recharge go through. I don't know if any amount get deducted because I'm not the one who does the payment. My friends and those whom I've asked to do recharges hesitate now. But I require recharges after 12AM to get full day validity and all mobile recharges are already closed by then and I have to ask someone in my contacts anyway lol.

Last edited:
I used to mostly use phonepe, but lately it's been giving issues while scanning barcodes. Tried Amazon pay upi and found it faster than phonepe. Now I mostly use Amazon pay since it doesn't get stuck at scanning.

Gpays yesteryears versions were stable and worked flawlessly but since last yr and off late the app itself is a complete clutter/kachra of so many shit things that the ultimate sole focus of payment is left aside with so many payment issues etc.
Here the payment issues start around 7pm daily evening time so now the shopkeepers either ask for cash or credit/debit card payments. They hide the upi scan thing stating not working.

The base BHIM UPI phone app. Via scan mode. Works flawlessly and bank account binding is easy. Found the google play app quite hard to use.

Google Pay was appallingly poor initially with a high failure rate. However, it has improved over time and been working more seamlessly. However, I use UPI mode for transactions not exceeding a few thousand rupees. Anything above that limit is either a credit card or NEFT.

PhonePe was good initially, it's been all downhill for the last 6 months. The app is chaotic and started to get a bit intrusive when it started duplicating my bills (internet, landline, electricity) and ended up paying twice several times.

My next step is to unlink all bank account and try to keep them running via credit card. In an event of a fraudulent transaction, I have some fighting chance.

The most preffered online gateway/app I prefered to use now is PhonePe and sometimes Paytm. Earlier I used to prefer Gpay only but it is not working fine now, many times payment got stuck, although it was and it is fast.

For all online shopping sites/ app and food ordering apps, i have linked a low value instant credit card. Other than that I do use Paytm at odd intervals.

I use only Paytm for all kinds of money transfers and the major reason to this is that Paytm does not obligates the insertion of the same SIM in the smartphone that is connected to your bank account. I actually use two different smartphones but the SIM which is connected to the ban account is inside a feature phone which I find more comfortable when calling. But due to this, apps such as Google Pay, BHIM, Amazon Pay and PhonePe etc. do not allow me to make any transaction unless I insert the SIM in the device.
However, with Paytm, there is no trouble at all. I just needed to insert the SIM once and verify my bank account and the Paytm account. Like GPay, it is not necessary to keep the SIM in the same phone for any transaction. And I have hardly faced any issues etc. So for me, Paytm is the best way to make transactions and it is doing really well in my smartphone. Also, with Paytm, it is really easy to pay my insurance premium, water bill, electricity bill, get fast tag, pay telephone bill, D2H bill and others. So I have installed other apps like PhonePe and Airtel pay etc. but I use paytm only majorly for all my transactions.

Depends on which wallets are offered by the merchant while making the payment. But Amazon Pay is the first preference, if listed, then Google Pay. Otherwise simple debit card. Never even installed apps like Paytm or Phonepe.

My own bank's UPI app as 'it just werks'. Friend kept bugging me about some cashback on GPay for referrals when it was new but never made one. Haven't used any other payment app, very seldom need to use debit or net banking when UPI is not an option.

Back