What to do when a buyer doesn't pay ?

no, i meant about what indy1811 had advised earlier (getting a copy of the signed receipt as proof, and sending a copy to that charlatan!). also, call and talk to ebay once and explain to them what happened (and also tell them about their app's fault, as explained by cisco_tech earlier), and ask if they have any suggestions to sort this. last option would be a legal recourse, or warning that person of it (perhaps contacting cyber crime cell; i've read that they're swift!), but whether your case would be admissible or not, i can't say. knowledgeable and experienced members here may shed some light on that.

p.s. - on the grounds of the faulty notification system of ebay, perhaps you may threaten ebay of filing a consumer-case (but not sure if you have a case in that regard, although due to their faulty system, new & unwary ebayers like you are facing losses), or else, contact 'akosha' to resolve the matter for you against ebay. the latter would take some fee, but has a high rate of success.

now since you have already thought this to be a gone case, suppose if DTDC is able to furnish the receipt for you, then you send a copy of it to that person, and successfully make him accept that he has indeed received your phone, then before threatening him, try to coax him first to pay up, by offering some discount or promising to send some 'free gift' to him after the payment, etc., think over it. if all that fails, threaten him. if that again fails, go ahead and file a case with cyber crime cell, and may be share his address and contact-info here, so that may be some of our big-heart & big-built clan-members may volunteer to knock at his door to pay a nice, 'cordial' & 'friendly' visit. :blackeye:

Last edited:
As everyone said eBay is at fault hrre... This mobile app issue exist for years and why they are not fixing it something very fishy...

When I list an item with an option of immediate payment... They should not allow to sell it without getting money from the buyer... This can be used to threaten them!

Also I'm not sure whether it's technically right to term as SOLD when we don't get money or something else in exchange!

no, i meant about what indy1811 had advised earlier (getting a copy of the signed receipt as proof, and sending a copy to that charlatan!). also, call and talk to ebay once and explain to them what happened (and also tell them about their app's fault, as explained by cisco_tech earlier), and ask if they have any suggestions to sort this. last option would be a legal recourse, or warning that person of it (perhaps contacting cyber crime cell; i've read that they're swift!), but whether your case would be admissible or not, i can't say. knowledgeable and experienced members here may shed some light on that.

p.s. - on the grounds of the faulty notification system of ebay, perhaps you may threaten ebay of filing a consumer-case (but not sure if you have a case in that regard, although due to their faulty system, new & unwary ebayers like you are facing losses), or else, contact 'akosha' to resolve the matter for you against ebay. the latter would take some fee, but has a high rate of success.

now since you have already thought this to be a gone case, suppose if DTDC is able to furnish the receipt for you, then you send a copy of it to that person, and successfully make him accept that he has indeed received your phone, then before threatening him, try to coax him first to pay up, by offering some discount or promising to send some 'free gift' to him after the payment, etc., think over it. if all that fails, threaten him. if that again fails, go ahead and file a case with cyber crime cell, and may be share his address and contact-info here, so that may be some of our big-heart & big-built clan-members may volunteer to knock at his door to pay a nice, 'cordial' & 'friendly' visit. :blackeye:
thank you sir for your reply it really helped me..
i have requested dtdc for the receipt but they have a very slow customer care maybe tey can get the signed copy maybe not...
and ebay, whenever i talk to them they just say talk to the buyer..akosha i s a paid service right ? if it is helpful i can definitely try
i have already talked to the buyer several times about giving discounts but the is not interested is paying,he wants the mobile for free.i have his address and mobile number i can that post here if that is fine...
i was also looking to file a case against him..then i saw this website http://www.ic3.gov/
i want to know the consequences of filling a complaint do i have to go for hearing or all this will be online ??
pls shed some light on it

Last edited:
i have requested dtdc for the receipt but they have a very slow customer care maybe tey can get the signed copy maybe not...
and ebay, whenever i talk to them they just say talk to the buyer..pls let me know who akosha is and can he help me or not !
i have already talked to the buyer several times about giving discounts but the is not interested is paying,he wants the mobile for free.i have his address and mobile number i can that post here if that is fine...
i was also looking to file a case against him..then i saw this website http://www.ic3.gov/
i want to know the consequences of filling a complaint do i have to go for hearing or all this will be online ??
I got this link from the help section of ebay.in but i dont think this site is of Indian government..

They never said payment received , and even order details States that, my PaisaPay page is empty.
Well, can't blame beginners. How it is 'sold' even though the buyer has not made payment? It's implicit and common sense that sold means buyer paid money. Ebay should use better terms

and ebay, whenever i talk to them they just say talk to the buyer..akosha i s a paid service right ? if it is helpful i can definitely try

i suppose talking to the DTDC customer-care would be of little help. try talking to the local DTDC-branch personnel, from where you sent the parcel. also, search google for the contact-info of the DTDC-branch at the area/address of that 'buyer'. most probably, it would be that branch only that would've delivered the parcel to him. try contacting any person from that branch for assistance.

about filing a cyber-crime case, unfortunately, i won't be of any help further, but probably only experienced members here could assist you. i think atleast for filing the case you will have to be present in person at their centre. and probably their cell isn't like a normal police station too. don't worry. their actions are swift, and you are the victim. you should be getting their support, and am sure you would if you go there.

as others have also pointed out, ebay's not recitfying their app's fault, inspite of such known-issues, is dubious. there's another issue with the app which ebay India is not recitfying, and that is, not having a shopping cart in the app. though its another story, but due to this, purchasing on ebay app sometimes becomes frustrating, mostly when for an item, you've to 'commit' buying the item you are watching, and you can't even check if you can apply a discount-coupon on it or not! several complaints later too, ebay is just sitting moronically! but as i wrote, that's another story.
akosha can indeed be of help. there must be some members here who must've availed its services earlier. i suggest to create another thread to get info on that, which may attract the attention of such members, in case you decide to approach akosha against ebay.

Yes, I had this similar case of package being 'lost' (buyer actually received but denying receiving) coincidently it was from DTDC itself, their CC was very helpful and even got to the bottom of the case to the point of even the delivery boy who delivered the product. You will get Proof of delivery from DTDC and what you can do is call buyer and 'notify' him that you're filing a stolen mobile report to police, and if you haven't received the phone you need not worry.
Carefully make out the conclusion depending on his response. You can also mention why you are inviting troubles to yourselves for petty amount, the punishment for stealing 3700 and 37000 is same. This may help in brining the buyer back into his senses.

I hardly believe ebay would be of any help here in this case.

Yes, I had this similar case of package being 'lost' (buyer actually received but denying receiving) coincidently it was from DTDC itself, their CC was very helpful and even got to the bottom of the case to the point of even the delivery boy who delivered the product. You will get Proof of delivery from DTDC and what you can do is call buyer and 'notify' him that you're filing a stolen mobile report to police, and if you haven't received the phone you need not worry.
Carefully make out the conclusion depending on his response. You can also mention why you are inviting troubles to yourselves for petty amount, the punishment for stealing 3700 and 37000 is same. This may help in brining the buyer back into his senses.

I hardly believe ebay would be of any help here in this case.
yesterday i talked to him again and when he asked for proof of sending i showed him the receipt(consignment copy) of dtdc to which he replied "how can i believe that you didn't send an empty box" which proved me how greedy he is! and also he was not that afraid when i talked of complain maybe because we are in different cities..
i have his number and address, can i share his number here so that some of you maybe leave a message on whatsapp for him ? will that work ??

oho! acting smart; taking his chances. goes to show that he was attempting to put you into a fix to prevent you from filing a case. i say do it already; no need of wasting more time and efforts in talks like India does with pakistan. also, keep in contact with DTDC. consult with members here in a separate thread, or/and go to the cyber crime cell in your deptt. and discuss with them if your case would be admissible there, or to the crime or such deptt. of the police. registering his name and contact-info with them would be answer enough to the question he posed to you.

oho! acting smart; taking his chances. goes to show that he was attempting to put you into a fix to prevent you from filing a case. i say do it already; no need of wasting more time and efforts in talks like India does with pakistan. also, keep in contact with DTDC. consult with members here in a separate thread, or/and go to the cyber crime cell in your deptt. and discuss with them if your case would be admissible there, or to the crime or such deptt. of the police. registering his name and contact-info with them would be answer enough to the question he posed to you.
i know nothing about filing complaints with the cyber cell..replies from other member can be very helpful on my new thread

makes me really sad to see people behaving in such cheap fashion. a category of Indians are so low in confidence that they will betray their conscience and values to earn quick bucks.

You do not have any case against the buyer and do not try to intimidate him as you would lose whatever advantage you have if he makes any complaint against you. Reading through your posts the fault lies with ebay and their application and it is ebay's responsibility to settle the matter with you. If you need to file a complaint file it against ebay which atleast would hold good to fight as it should be their responsibility to get the money from the buyer to you since you have used ebay as a medium here.

yes. technofast may have a point there. you were the one who sent the cell at the buyer's address, and probably are not in the position to force him to return it, atleast the legal way, except requesting him to return it; but since you had sent it, may i say, on the 'behest' of the faulty app of ebay, you could take a stand against them, as it was ebay that acted/acts as the mode of communication and inter-personal exchange between a seller and buyer(s), prompting you to take the (un)necessary action. and what max_demon wrote in his first post above is also worth noting (not directly intimidating the buyer, but giving him a 'hint').
anyway, hope to see a few more replies and a few more insights.

The buyer is unethical and does not have morals, but not what he he haas done is NOT illegal.

Your best bet is to go against ebay.

This buyer you are referring to has 24 positive ratings and seems to have paid all sellers promptly. Ebay will not take responsibility as it is clear from the first post you had posted that the payment has not been received to paisa pay account. Ebay checks the positive ratings of a buyer and almost always takes sides with the buyer if he has a good positive rating. You can now only plead with ebay to check with the courier company and provide them proof that the product has been delivered and the buyer has not paid. Ebay may consider your request if they come to know that the product was delivered and the buyer has indeed cheated, but all these could take time but keep going.

You do not have any case against the buyer and do not try to intimidate him as you would lose whatever advantage you have if he makes any complaint against you. Reading through your posts the fault lies with ebay and their application and it is ebay's responsibility to settle the matter with you. If you need to file a complaint file it against ebay which atleast would hold good to fight as it should be their responsibility to get the money from the buyer to you since you have used ebay as a medium here.

yes. technofast may have a point there. you were the one who sent the cell at the buyer's address, and probably are not in the position to force him to return it, atleast the legal way, except requesting him to return it; but since you had sent it, may i say, on the 'behest' of the faulty app of ebay, you could take a stand against them, as it was ebay that acted/acts as the mode of communication and inter-personal exchange between a seller and buyer(s), prompting you to take the (un)necessary action. and what max_demon wrote in his first post above is also worth noting (not directly intimidating the buyer, but giving him a 'hint').
anyway, hope to see a few more replies and a few more insights.

You really think lodging a complaint against an Internet giant like Ebay would do any good? Although I've heard that if you put up a case in Consumer Forum, you get a hearing. And Ebay most probably won't show up, so the ruling will be in your favor. But I'm not sure if Saurabh's case will work that way.

Is there a way to block the imei number so that it cannot be used again? Would be a good choice if all fails.

Lodging an FIR and asking the police to ban the IMEI could be helpful.[DOUBLEPOST=1419835408][/DOUBLEPOST]Cases like these could be won but might take weeks or even months. Now its up to the seller if he finds the lost money more valuable or the time he's going to waste to get it back.

Back