What to do with old p3 & Athlon XP machines

corelement

Disciple
Hi

I have a couple of semi functional machines in Gurgaon that I don't know what to do with them. Do charity people take old computers and repair and make use of them? What should I do?

Thanks

Salvage smaller but crucial parts like processor. Just keep them till they become collectibles. Then keep them further or sell them :p

Rest of the parts like cabinet, monitor etc can be sold to computer scrap shops which will give you decent value for them. I sold my 2 CRT monitors for INR 600 (or 800, i don't remember). They were in non working condition.

I would install Windows 98 SE on it and play all those old school games. Especially NFS Highstakes - I have the original game but it refuses to work on OS beyond 98... not even on XP.

There are a lot of classic games that might run post repairs and once you manage to find a Voodoo card for it.

^^ why take so much pain when you can run those old software in compatibility mode? don't know about windows 8 or 10 but i am using couple of programs from the windows 95 era on 7.

and then there's another option to run old software in a virtual environment.

but why am i preaching when i have 3 fully functional old gen computers at home :D. one of them is so old that it doesn't have any provision for hard disks... uses only floppy disks. i am keeping them only because they refuse to die :rolleyes:.

^^ why take so much pain when you can run those old software in compatibility mode? don't know about windows 8 or 10 but i am using couple of programs from the windows 95 era on 7.

and then there's another option to run old software in a virtual environment.

but why am i preaching when i have 3 fully functional old gen computers at home :D. one of them is so old that it doesn't have any provision for hard disks... uses only floppy disks. i am keeping them only because they refuse to die :rolleyes:.

Try NFS:HS and tell me how to go about it mate

Back