OC & Modding What to make Personal simple Battlestation desk

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Well right now I am in a phase where I need to get a desk for my dual monitor setup and cabinate.
1) So should I go DIY (no exp) ?
2) Ask carpenter to make one for me ?
3) Get a ready made table.

Dimentions which I think I am good with it as below:
L = 5 1/2'
B = 2 1/2' or 3
D = 1' or 1 1/2'

don't want any fancy storage but one compartment will be required for the same.
This looks great and think is of my test leaving the extra fancy step thing added later down the video in the legs.

Did went to the wood dealer and below is the prices offered to me ( my bad that I though 4" breath is what I will require :p ) :

1) FOR 4' x 1' x 6' X 1
- Mahogany = Rs. 6100/-
- Akashi = Rs. 3600/-

2) FOR 4' x 1 1/2' x 6' X 1
- Mahogany= Rs. 9150/-
- Akashi = Rs. 5400/-

3) FOR 4' x 1' x 6' X 1
- Mahogany= Rs. 4800/-
- Akashi = Rs. 2900/-

4) FOR 4' x 1 1/2' x 5' X 1
- Mahogany= Rs. 7200/-
- Akashi = Rs. 4350/-

5) FOR 3' x 3' x 2 1/2' X 4 ( for legs )
- Mahogany= Rs. 1825/-
- Akashi = Rs. 1125/-

Don't know how much will the carpenter will charge. can try diy but don't know if mom will allow me to play around it :p

Last edited:
A table should be the easiest thing to make, if the top was of plywood. The frame can be screwed together after cutting straight pieces. However, if you are looking to make a table top out of solid wood then that requires expertise and tools which you won't have. So DIY goes out of the picture in that case.

P.S. - The symbol for feet is ' and not ". That's for inches.

Well right now I am in a phase where I need to get a desk for my dual monitor setup and cabinate.
1) So should I go DIY (no exp) ?
2) Ask carpenter to make one for me ?
3) Get a ready made table.

Dimentions which I think I am good with it as below:
L = 5 1/2"
B = 2 1/2" or 3"
D = 1" or 1 1/2"

don't want any fancy storage but one compartment will be required for the same.
This looks great and think is of my test leaving the extra fancy step thing added later down the video in the legs.

Did went to the wood dealer and below is the prices offered to me ( my bad that I though 4" breath is what I will require :p ) :

1) FOR 4" x 1" x 6" X 1
- Mahogany = Rs. 6100/-
- Akashi = Rs. 3600/-

2) FOR 4" x 1 1/2" x 6" X 1
- Mahogany= Rs. 9150/-
- Akashi = Rs. 5400/-

3) FOR 4" x 1" x "6 X 1
- Mahogany= Rs. 4800/-
- Akashi = Rs. 2900/-

4) FOR 4" x 1 1/2" x 5" X 1
- Mahogany= Rs. 7200/-
- Akashi = Rs. 4350/-

5) FOR 3" x 3" x 2 1/2" X 4 ( for legs )
- Mahogany= Rs. 1825/-
- Akashi = Rs. 1125/-

Don't know how much will the carpenter will charge. can try diy but don't know if mom will allow me to play around it :p
IKEA mai ghum k aa itna bhi door nahi hai tere liye

IKEA mai ghum k aa itna bhi door nahi hai tere liye
trip will take 1 whole day and 4k for just travelling if via car. on bike 1k or so. not an great idea :banghead:
A table should be the easiest thing to make, if the top was of plywood. The frame can be screwed together after cutting straight pieces. However, if you are looking to make a table top out of solid wood then that requires expertise and tools which you won't have. So DIY goes out of the picture in that case.

P.S. - The symbol for feet is ' and not ". That's for inches.
Afrian Mahogany is what I am planning to ge the desk top off. For tools only the clamps will be missing as I am already getting the drill. if the clamp cost same or less then the carpenters cost, should I get them? I did asked the wood supplier that if in future I decided to move table to different location, can I remove the screws and it will not mess the wood. he said with Mahogany its not an issue and is a solid version. and I think they will provide me the plank version of the same which will be sanded. demo me to yehi dikhaya tha !

also can any one get me a list of what all tools are normally used if they have knowledge on the same.

Last edited:
trip will take 1 whole day and 4k for just travelling if via car. on bike 1k or so. not an great idea :banghead:

Afrian Mahogany is what I am planning to ge the desk top off. For tools only the clamps will be missing as I am already getting the drill. if the clamp cost same or less then the carpenters cost, should I get them? I did asked the wood supplier that if in future I decided to move table to different location, can I remove the screws and it will not mess the wood. he said with Mahogany its not an issue and is a solid version. and I think they will provide me the plank version of the same which will be sanded. demo me to yehi dikhaya tha !

also can any one get me a list of what all tools are normally used if they have knowledge on the same.
Just watch a few videos and you will understand what tools one needs. For the frame, all you need is a saw, a tape measure, some long screws and a drill. For a 4ft long top, you will need a hell lot of clamps if all you are planning to do is edge-join the smaller pieces with glue, which is usually enough and the simplest way to make a table top. I have 4 clamps, but I went all out and bought the best pipe clamps one can buy and they were 1900 bucks a piece. I think one can find bar clamps for around 500 bucks a piece, but even then you will need at least 8 of those and you should actually have more.

Also, then you need a sander or you can do hand sanding as well. Ideally, you would also need a planer but I am guessing the seller would be providing you with cut and planed pieces in the sizes of your choice.

Edit - Even if you had all the tools, one would need a good carpenter to do the work for them because, even though it looks simple, one needs to know the basics of carpentry to do the work. You will end up wasting a lot of wood, because one can't even do straight cuts with a saw in the beginning. It takes lots of practice use both manual and electric saws and using a power tool like a circular saw for a beginner is outright dangerous.

Someone had posted this in the other thread. It costs around 17k, Ikea has a similar one for 20k.

Didn't liked this stuff. Plus cabinate will be required on one side so that is one thing which i can add when needed in custom version but not here.

I don't think DIY is a good idea, It may look easy while watching some youtube videos but may end up in frustration, wasting time and money.
To get a nice finished product it requires professional skills moreover you may not be interested in buying some new tools just only for this desk.
Readymade is costlier option where you can't customize anything as per your requirements.
Best is to get it done by a carpenter, look for some designs online and customize it as per your needs.

Here is my 15 months old desk for size reference -
L X B X H = 81" x 25" x 29.5"
it's made of plywood with matt finish mica on all sides.
This thing needs a revision, but as of now it's OK for my needs.
I am not a lefty but still fixed the drawers on left side just to manage wires and cable on one side.

P_20191003_201701.jpg
P_20201123_121244.jpg

1st pic is with 32" full Hd TV
2nd pic is with 43" 4k TV with a corsair 3xl 4'x2' mousepad.

you're looking for dual monitor setup, so I insist get atleast 6 feet length, if you can accommodate make it 6.5 feet. Breadth min 25" to max 30"
and overall surface height from ground is 30" which I guess is very standard. rest you can customize as per your needs.
If you look for more drawers and cabinets it will surely increase cost.
Mahogany is good option but plyboard is ok considering the cost.

Back