What watch are you wearing today???

Finally after around 10 years was able to get the capacitors changed for these two iconic watches.

Seiko Kinetic (BFK) SKA369. 200M Diver Class.
DSC07540 (1).jpg

Citizen Navihawk Titanium C650 Q02144 (Promaster, non-radio)
DSC07547 (1).jpg

Looking at the stuff posted here is giving me a inferiority complex.

Anyway, here's my humble SKMEI 2042. A full size Casio F-91W.

On the left is my SKMEI 1068 that I have strapped on the messenger bag I use while traveling. Going strong after six years. Got it for USD 5, shipped, from GearBest.

---
20240131_130726_PS_800x600.jpg

Looking at the stuff posted here is giving me a inferiority complex.

Anyway, here's my humble SKMEI 2042. A full size Casio F-91W.

On the left is my SKMEI 1068 that I have strapped on the messenger bag I use while traveling. Going strong after six years. Got it for USD 5, shipped, from GearBest.

---
View attachment 189392
This over a F91W makes very little sense given how low F91W is priced.

PSA for all those interested in HMT. Project 70, an automatic version of the HMT Kohinoor is underway. Link for registering your interest is given below.

(Price is expected to be around 9,000 I believe)

Honestly that seems a rip off. Apart from the Miyota movement + pre-90s nostalgia, HMT watches offer nothing. The dials are s***, casing is basic steel, hands are ill designed, chapter looks weird, crown is rudimentary. Straps are lousy. Rather punch in a bit more and get something from Titan.

Last edited:
Honestly that seems a rip off. Apart from the Miyota movement + pre-90s nostalgia, HMT watches offer nothing. The dials are s***, casing is basic steel, hands are ill designed, chapter looks weird, crown is rudimentary. Straps are lousy. Rather punch is a bit more and get something from Titan.

Yeah. I love my HMT's but this doesnt make sense to me. The whole "charm" of an HMT is buying something old with history behind it. A Frankenstein with an HMT logo on it, whats the point?

For 9,000 you can pick up a used Seiko or Citizen Eco drive from OLX and it is an infinitely better deal.

After posting here I remembered I had some 50+ year old mech watches.
- Favre Leuba Sea King, not used for years so does not work, needs servicing/oiling-cleaning I guess.
- HMT Chetak, started up without a fuss !
- West End Watch unknown model, my uncle had tried to repair it and messed it up, LOL.

EDIT : deleted line, reason

20240202_104751_PS_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
After posting here I remembered I had some 50+ year old mech watches.
- Favre Leuba Sea King, not used for years so does not work, needs servicing/oiling-cleaning I guess.
- HMT Chetak, started up without a fuss !
- West End Watch unknown model, my uncle had tried to repair it and messed it up, LOL.

If I decide to sell, what can I expect for these ?

You would not get anything for these watches. The brands are unknown, and their movements would not have harvest-able parts, if need to be repurposed. Also the dials are scarred beyond repair, and the bracelets are defunct.
What I would do: show them to a small corner watch repair shop (ask if he has experience with mechanical watches), get them working*. Throw away the bracelets, put them on NATO straps (coordinate with your shoes/belt), and be Steve McQueen "king of cool".

*(maybe also get the crystals changed too -- outer part of the dial. They seem standard diameter)

Where and how much did the capacitors cost? How long did they last before you needed to change the caps?

6.5K for the Seiko. And around 8K for the Citizen. Had to give 3K more for the Citizen (above the 8K) since something was wrong with the circuit. The capacitor units probably lasted 10 years before going bad. I think Seiko uses better cells now, which are supposed to give longer yield and longevity. Kinetics have to be worn a lot, else the cell depletes.

I can PM you the shop contact. It's Gurgaon based.

Back