Budget 21-30k What would be a good price for a used Ryzen 9 5950X?

ajish65

Patron
Apologies if this is the wrong section. But couldn't figure out where else this could go. Mods, request you to please move to the correct section if this is not it.

Anyway, as in the title, what would be a good price for a used 5950X? I'm looking to upgrade from my 5700G.

Also, what would be a good selling price for the 5700G?

Thanks.

What's ya use case as this jump to 16 core cpu.....afaik used ones i think is 25k depending on warranty but at that price point 5900x new can be had.

What's ya use case as this jump to 16 core cpu.....afaik used ones i think is 25k depending on warranty but at that price point 5900x new can be had.

Are the two similar in performance?

I've been getting into video editing recently. So thought it might come in handy for that.

Are the two similar in performance?

I've been getting into video editing recently. So thought it might come in handy for that.
25k to 26k. 5950x would be more useful due to being 16 core instead of 5900X being 12core. But single core performance would be good on a 12 core. you don't need to get into it. just grab the 5950x and enjoy ;)

also has you have 16 cores on your hand, get some more ram if to be used for rendering. 32gb to 64gb would be great.

25k to 26k. 5950x would be more useful due to being 16 core instead of 5900X being 12core. But single core performance would be good on a 12 core. you don't need to get into it. just grab the 5950x and enjoy ;)

also has you have 16 cores on your hand, get some more ram if to be used for rendering. 32gb to 64gb would be great.
Thanks.

Already have 32 gigs of memory. Also a 3080Ti. But video editing seems to require a high-end CPU as well, as Davinci keeps crashing repeatedly. And since I can't afford to upgrade my entire platform right now, and also since the 5000 series is the latest my B550M-ITX/ac board can handle, thought I'd get one in that series.

Last edited:
It could be possible due to less RAM. Yes, 32GB might be low for rendering high quality videos. Check your RAM and pagefile usage.
Also if you've set pagefile to a low size manually then don't do that. You're inviting random OOM crashes.

Pagefile is best set to system managed or twice your RAM size.

It could be possible due to less RAM. Yes, 32GB might be low. Check your RAM and pagefile usage.
Also if you've set pagefile to a low size manually then don't do that. You're inviting random OOM crashes.

Pagefile is best set to system managed or twice your RAM size.
Man that is too technical for me. But I will definitely Google and try. Thank you!

And I guess when I said crash I was incorrect. Basically Resolve just freezes and has to be restarted before it works again. Most of the time crossing it out works. Sometimes I have to 'End Task' it tho.

That sounds like maybe RAM like enthusiast said, or a software bug either in Resolve or your environment. Definitely unlikely to be an issue caused by lack of grunt in the 5700G.

It is ram that very much might be causing issue. When you try to edit some higher resolution vids an start the process it takes a lot of ram and it will freeze up. Just keep the task manager opened and monitor it.

That sounds like maybe RAM like enthusiast said, or a software bug either in Resolve or your environment. Definitely unlikely to be an issue caused by lack of grunt in the 5700G.
It is ram that very much might be causing issue. When you try to edit some higher resolution vids an start the process it takes a lot of ram and it will freeze up. Just keep the task manager opened and monitor it.

Oh wow, I never thought 32 gigs would be low. I'm only working on basically JPEG slide shows (with some amateur effects) so far. Mixed with some 1080p vids.

Well, in any case, good news I guess, since a 64 gig kit is cheaper than a new CPU. (ITX board; so only 2 memory slots) :D

Oh wow, I never thought 32 gigs would be low. I'm only working on basically JPEG slide shows (with some amateur effects) so far. Mixed with some 1080p vids.

Well, in any case, good news I guess, since a 64 gig kit is cheaper than a new CPU. (ITX board; so only 2 memory slots) :D
More the affects more ram it will take....but first monitor your ram and then take decision to buy more......it's been more than 2+yrs that i have used davinci but i remember using davinci with 32gb and it still hanging

I have not used davinci resolve, so can not comment on the above messages..

I have a 5900X and 32 gb ram. I have 2 youtube channels, so i edit 1440p videos regularly. The processor is adequate but still i have seen it having troubles when things get intense.... while rendering 2k videos cpu is at 70-80% and ram usage is only around 18-20 gb... I am using VDSC free video editor, it's a very basic lightweight editor. So that could be why im not having RAM issues...

While editing 4k videos then 5900X struggles a lot (cpu at 100%, ram at 24 gb+)... So would recommend you buy 5950X, if budget allows.. In my opinion RAM 32 gb is enough for 1440p and maybe consider 64 gb for 4k. Davinci is a very high end software made for professionals so it uses a lot of ram (I could see people talking about this when i googled). You can try other softwares like adobe premiere pro, etc. ram issue wont be that prevalent. You can check this easily by having task manager open.

Also, yes 5700G is a bit lacking for video editing... Im not surprised it is crashing.

Last edited:
I have not used davinci resolve, so can not comment on the above messages..

I have a 5900X and 32 gb ram. I have 2 youtube channels, so i edit 1440p videos regularly. The processor is adequate but still i have seen it having troubles when things get intense.... while rendering 2k videos cpu is at 70-80% and ram usage is only around 18-20 gb... I am using VDSC free video editor, it's a very basic lightweight editor. So that could be why im not having RAM issues...

While editing 4k videos then 5900X struggles a lot (cpu at 100%, ram at 24 gb+)... So would recommend you buy 5950X, if budget allows.. In my opinion RAM 32 gb is enough for 1440p and maybe consider 64 gb for 4k. Davinci is a very high end software made for professionals so it uses a lot of ram (I could see people talking about this when i googled). You can try other softwares like adobe premiere pro, etc. ram issue wont be that prevalent. You can check this easily by having task manager open.

Also, yes 5700G is a bit lacking for video editing... Im not surprised it is crashing.
Yah Davinci is high end but it is also free. :D All the others are either paid or even if they are free, don't have the sheer amount of features that even free version of Davinci has.

Plus Adobe is just a scummy company so would prefer to not deal with them even via the ahem "open seas".

But appreciate the viewpoint of a video editor. Will definitely look more into the issue about ram vs. CPU. Thanks! This was really helpful!

Last edited:
Back