What's the point of Cutting down Bandwidth?

swatkats

Skilled

Netflix and YouTube are both reducing video-streaming quality in Europe to reduce the stress on residential broadband networks caused by the coronavirus pandemic forcing people to stay home.

Netflix is reducing the bit rate on video streams, but not the resolution, for the next 30 days in the EU and UK, the BBC reported. The BBC said that "movies will still be high-definition or ultra-high definition 4K" despite the bit-rate decrease, but other news sources suggest that resolution could be cut, too. It's not clear what the exact changes in bit rates are—we asked Netflix to clarify these points but haven't gotten an answer yet.
Net Neutrality concerns
The EU telling Netflix to reduce its bandwidth in the region is a test to Net Neutrality principles. The EU’s Net Neutrality rules vis-à-vis traffic management let this kind of application-specific discrimination happen in extreme cases, but it is not clear that Netflix’s traffic is actually clogging Europe’s internet. An Ookla analysis earlier this month showed that even as workers switched to remote working in hordes in Europe, fixed broadband speeds only declined slightly, or didn’t change at all. Traffic management during congestion should only be used when it is necessary, only for the duration needed, and should be as application-agnostic as possible, Barbara van Schewick had said in filings to TRAI. It is unclear if this change follows any of those conditions.

We thought wired broadband could handle traffic as much it can, What's the point of Restricting -- Netflix, Youtube or Prime video.

Even in India internet speeds are terrible atleast on BSNL FTTH. And since march, no matter botnet attack or not, Instagram has been terrible to browse on BSNL. Today everything is crawling.

Everything is lagging today. I really thought wired broadband could handle the traffic, but today it has been terrible.
I am facing regular disconnections, speed drops and buffering in streaming websites. A DNS query while requesting for a website is getting more time to resolve than loading actual site.

PS: torrent is working great though. XD

Streaming service Netflix Inc and social media giant Facebook Inc said on Tuesday they would reduce the amount of data their services use to ease congested telecoms networks in India.

I don't think as of now there is any restriction on wired broadbad. I am watching stuff on hotstar and Netflix and it is all in HD / Full HD.

So, let me explain this:
Most backbone cabling (OFC or copper wire) in India are owned by: -
  1. BSNL
  2. Tata Indicom (Think VSNL building near Churchgate Railway Station)
  3. Reliance
Almost all tower operators, ISPs, provide bandwidth through this backbone. (Almost, because there is another wireless medium (MAN), but it utilizes bandwidth from this same wired backbone)
Most networks are running at ~100%, with no way to lay down / allocate extra bandwidth in the next few weeks.

Call anyone you know who works in networking in a ISP, whichever tier. Their networks are running at ~100% capacity.
If people are to remain indoors, and work from home, the bandwidth needs to be used fairly. And guess what can be considered to be a leisure during this time?

TLDR: all internet in India flows through a basic wired backbone, whether the end user is on wired or wireless or cellular. And this backbone is overloaded ATM.

My internet via Siti Cable has been horrible today since 1-2 PM. I have a 200 Mbps connection but fast.com shows a max of 7-8 Mbps now.
Nobody is picking up on the customer care helpline. If the line goes down I am screwed. :(

The only problem with Newpipe is that you don't get suggestions to watch. You have to practically go to each individual subscription to see I anything new is posted. But it's a price one has to pay..
Oh... And no ads. Plus point.

The only problem with Newpipe is that you don't get suggestions to watch. You have to practically go to each individual subscription to see I anything new is posted. But it's a price one has to pay..
Oh... And no ads. Plus point.
It is not as streamlined as vanced which is basically a YT replacement but I like feature to download video/audio with a lot options for resolution and formats.

Back