What's your 3-2-1 backup strategy?

Well, facebook considers bluray disks for cold storage.
I dunno how facebook is saving their disks. Maybe their cold storage is really cold. I don't live in its cold storage.

As per the table, DVD-R have life of 20 to 50 years. And BD-R have 5 to 10 years.

But in my real world experience, even the branded disks like slowly-burnt-Sonys have become unreadable in just a decade. I have less faith on BD-R.

Less than 2 years IME. They just don't hold up. Google back for me always.
The core issue is whether you can trust Google (or any other service provider) with every bit of personal data esp., all money matters, passwords, etc. I won't. I will create my own cloud storage as & when needed.

Backblaze is different, for HDD reliability I normally check their annual report.

trust Google (or any other service provider) with every bit of personal data esp., all money matters, passwords, etc. I won't.
You could encrypt your data before pushing it to a public cloud provider. Tools like rclone, cryptomator, syncthing make it quite simple.

I dunno how facebook is saving their disks. Maybe their cold storage is really cold. I don't live in its cold storage.

As per the table, DVD-R have life of 20 to 50 years. And BD-R have 5 to 10 years.

But in my real world experience, even the branded disks like slowly-burnt-Sonys have become unreadable in just a decade. I have less faith on BD-R.
Normal dvd/blueray disks are susceptible to bitrot. If you want permanent storage(at least 50 years minimum) then you need to get M Disk type (both in dvd/blueray) they have been proven in tests for longevity.

You could encrypt your data before pushing it to a public cloud provider. Tools like rclone, cryptomator, syncthing make it quite simple.
I know that, considered that option for my use too. It is not practical to encrypt each time a back up is done.

The core issue is whether you can trust Google (or any other service provider) with every bit of personal data esp., all money matters, passwords, etc. I won't. I will create my own cloud storage as & when needed.

Backblaze is different, for HDD reliability I normally check their annual report.
I understand you thoughts but if we can't trust google we can't really trust anyone.

My important files are tripple redundant on
megaCloud < localMachine < portableSsd.
HDD is a big no for me for saving important files as 2 hdd have failed on me.

Data from HDDs can be recovered when a disk fails, for mechanical reasons, also spinning rust usually shows signs of failure before failing.
SSDs on the other hand are far less forgiving, if the data is gone, because of failure or accidental deletion, it is gone for good once the trim command is issued. Data recovery is practically impossible in all but very exceptional cases.

Data from HDDs can be recovered when a disk fails, for mechanical reasons, also spinning rust usually shows signs of failure before failing.
SSDs on the other hand are far less forgiving, if the data is gone, because of failure or accidental deletion, it is gone for good once the trim command is issued. Data recovery is practically impossible in all but very exceptional cases.
I trust traditional hdds due to their nature of good amount of guaranteed data recovery compared to someones cloud and ssds.
My important files are tripple redundant on
megaCloud < localMachine < portableSsd.
HDD is a big no for me for saving important files as 2 hdd have failed on me.
My all redundancy relies on 3 stage hdds and now planning for 4th one and might consider MS cloud just to back up those ultra critical snaps!

Back