Where to buy a PC table?

KnightstarK

Disciple
I'm getting things ready for my first gaming PC.
I love going through the "Post your Rig" thread and checking out all the awesome setups.

I really like those White minimalist aesthetic builds.

I'm looking around for a similar table online. Amazon and Flipkart have some pretty decent looking desks, but the reviews are terrible.
  • I'm not familiar with other online stores. Any recommendations?
  • Would a local carpenter be better/cheaper?
  • How much would you spend on a table for your PC?

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this thread.

I'm getting things ready for my first gaming PC.
I love going through the "Post your Rig" thread and checking out all the awesome setups.

I really like those White minimalist aesthetic builds.

I'm looking around for a similar table online. Amazon and Flipkart have some pretty decent looking desks, but the reviews are terrible.
  • I'm not familiar with other online stores. Any recommendations?
  • Would a local carpenter be better/cheaper?
  • How much would you spend on a table for your PC?

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this thread.
https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/fredde-gaming-desk-black-30361953/

are you looking for no-frills or do you need bells and whistles? I've bought two computer tables in the last 18years both from Saravana stores in Chennai, made of particleboard. The first one bought in 2004 for 1k, lasted till 2018. Bought the second one in 2018 for 2.5k and using it to date and gets the job done.

Check local furniture shops or all-in-one stores to cut down on overhead costs. My carpenter advised against getting it done separately as plywood and labor costs would exceed store-bought particleboard tables. Show the IKEA model to your carpenter and get a rough quote to compare. I've observed furniture is much costlier online than in local stores. Same particle board but brand costs bring it to around 10k https://www.pepperfry.com/companion-computer-table-in-walnut-finish-by-godrej-1515542.html

Another option is to do a wall mount if you're looking for long term.

I dont give a damn for when its for furniture! As they do not last for more than 3-5yrs. I recently made a customized pc table based on my impouts/designs for as low as 7k. Loong, wide, ultra spacious.

I dont give a damn for when its for furniture! As they do not last for more than 3-5yrs. I recently made a customized pc table based on my impouts/designs for as low as 7k. Loong, wide, ultra spacious.
made from Plywood? or MDF/Particleboard? possible to share image?

If you can stretch your budget to 15k, you can get a vastly higher quality table. I got a finger jointed rubber wood board and had a carpenter cut it down to size (barely a day's work) etc. Oiled it myself. Got legs from IKEA (I bought bamboo legs which were INR 1,500 a pop, but there are cheaper options available). My table is 52" wide (or long, whichever way you want to look at it) and there was enough wood left over for a nice shelf (used generic shelving hardware). The end result is a minimalist, durable (rubber wood is naturally more waterproof) table which finally gives me the space for my PC as well as ample space to work. Well worth the premium over particleboard etc. I can share some pictures later this week if anybody is interested.

Edit: Carpenter also rounded the edges for me which is key for long-term comfort.

Last edited:
Very restrictive table if you want to do multi-monitor setup or PC+Laptop setup.

These are better:

Or these if you have space:
https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/lagkapten-adils-desk-white-s99417575/

16k for a particle board is insane. Ikea stuff is stupid overpriced.

I would say unless you are living somewhere that doesnt have furniture markets, avoid Online. Most of that stuff is overpriced and its always better to buy something you have touched and seen rather than go off measurements and pictures.

This one is unconventional but consider looking at buying a used Rectangular Dining table off OLX or something. They are made of actual wood that will last your for a generation. Rock solid and reliable. They are huge and you will not have space issues even for a multiple monitor/speakers on the desk setup. Should come in under your budget easily.

Very restrictive table if you want to do multi-monitor setup or PC+Laptop setup.

These are better:

better is go to ikea.com or ikea physical store if nearby buy the linmmon table top in whatever size you want and then buy 4 or 5 olov height adjustible legs. for 3k you can have a very good table that is height adjustible. ikea finish is unmached your local carpainter cannot even get close to ikea finish.

are you looking for no-frills or do you need bells and whistles? I've bought two computer tables in the last 18years both from Saravana stores in Chennai, made of particleboard. The first one bought in 2004 for 1k, lasted till 2018. Bought the second one in 2018 for 2.5k and using it to date and gets the job done.

Check local furniture shops or all-in-one stores to cut down on overhead costs. My carpenter advised against getting it done separately as plywood and labor costs would exceed store-bought particleboard tables. Show the IKEA model to your carpenter and get a rough quote to compare. I've observed furniture is much costlier online than in local stores. Same particle board but brand costs bring it to around 10k https://www.pepperfry.com/companion-computer-table-in-walnut-finish-by-godrej-1515542.html

Another option is to do a wall mount if you're looking for long term.

Minimum frills. Just a slab of wood with 4 legs (or drawer chests on either end).

I went through the entire IKEA catalogue and I gotta say the LAGKAPTEN / ALEX desk is EXACTLY what I want!
It's a shame the darn thing costs 15k.

Perhaps I'll show it to a local carpenter and see if it can be done within half that price.

If you can stretch your budget to 15k, you can get a vastly higher quality table. I got a finger jointed rubber wood board and had a carpenter cut it down to size (barely a day's work) etc. Oiled it myself. Got legs from IKEA (I bought bamboo legs which were INR 1,500 a pop, but there are cheaper options available). My table is 52" wide (or long, whichever way you want to look at it) and there was enough wood left over for a nice shelf (used generic shelving hardware). The end result is a minimalist, durable (rubber wood is naturally more waterproof) table which finally gives me the space for my PC as well as ample space to work. Well worth the premium over particleboard etc. I can share some pictures later this week if anybody is interested.

Edit: Carpenter also rounded the edges for me which is key for long-term comfort.
Super interested! please share the pics.

I have a very clear picture in my mind about how I want the table to look.

I'm a bit apprehensive about getting it made by a carpenter because:
  • I know nothing about wood types or woodwork.
  • I'm not familiar with prices for projects like this so, I wouldn't know if I'm being ripped off.

These are better:

The LAGKAPTEN / ALEX desk is perfect! Just what I wanted.
The 15k price tag seems way to high to me.

I assume it'll cost less to take a photo of this desk to a carpenter and commission a build.

I would say unless you are living somewhere that doesnt have furniture markets, avoid Online. Most of that stuff is overpriced and its always better to buy something you have touched and seen rather than go off measurements and pictures.

This one is unconventional but consider looking at buying a used Rectangular Dining table off OLX or something. They are made of actual wood that will last your for a generation. Rock solid and reliable. They are huge and you will not have space issues even for a multiple monitor/speakers on the desk setup. Should come in under your budget easily.
Ikea is definitely way out of my budget.
I hear Shivajinagar is the go-to furniture market in Bangalore. Will check it out.

Hmm.... getting a pre-owned table. Hadn't considered that. Good idea. I'll be on the hunt!

Minimum frills. Just a slab of wood with 4 legs (or drawer chests on either end).

I went through the entire IKEA catalogue and I gotta say the LAGKAPTEN / ALEX desk is EXACTLY what I want!
It's a shame the darn thing costs 15k.

Perhaps I'll show it to a local carpenter and see if it can be done within half that price.
this is my table. had the carpenter install the mouse tray.

true. for 16k you can get an entire wardrobe made from particleboard. best to avoid branded furniture and go for local shops or a known carpenter who won't fleece you.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-05 at 09.29.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-05 at 09.29.19.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
This table cost a total of Rs 8000. Rs 6000 for material and Rs 2000 for labour. The best quality stuff has been used. There is a place for keeping your Tower and both Keyboard and Mouse can be placed on the slide out. Most online tables either force you to place the Tower on the Table top or keep the Mouse on the table top and Keyboard on the slideout, or don't have the slide out. That is very uncomfortable to use. Only change in this design that I would make is a deeper foot rest.
The shelves on the left hand side are for woofers, UPS and a future NAS unit. Dimensions are 4' long and 2' deep. If you want something really good, you will have to get it made.

Table_IMG_20200320_192859.jpg

Maybe you ought to look at some place which makes good quality furniture then. My computer table is now 15 years old and still as good as new and beds are now more than 2 decades old. Same for the Sofa. If you buy quality stuff, it lasts a lifetime, but you do have to pay appropriately for them. For example, the beds cost 30k 2 decades ago and the table was 12k at the time of purchase. The same shop sells beds at 1L+ nowadays and was even willing to buyback our beds for more than what we paid for them, but we didn't want to waste money just for a change in looks.

Maybe you ought to look at some place which makes good quality furniture then. My computer table is now 15 years old and still as good as new and beds are now more than 2 decades old. Same for the Sofa. If you buy quality stuff, it lasts a lifetime, but you do have to pay appropriately for them. For example, the beds cost 30k 2 decades ago and the table was 12k at the time of purchase. The same shop sells beds at 1L+ nowadays and was even willing to buyback our beds for more than what we paid for them, but we didn't want to waste money just for a change in looks.
What I said is I never ever take chances with furniture and big appliances by shopping blindly online. And brands like pepperfry & others etc. already have their stores in big malls and they themselves have claimed their stuff wont last beyond 5yrs and anything beyond that is pure luck and care etc.
I have furniture at home as old as 30+ yrs yes and all custom made. My pc table bough in 2k6 still strong but then it was a typical table and now requirements changed and so will in future..
And again for afore mentioned stuff I wont make purchases online but physically walkin to stores.

Super interested! please share the pics.
Will do. Give me a day or two. I'll also share a cost breakdown for reference and highlight exactly where I've paid more (and you can pay less). Will also share tips for long term maintenance of wood. You want a top and 4 legs that will outlast several builds? This is exactly that.

Back