CPU/Mobo Where to buy Xeon processor and compatible motherboard?

Jules Goes

Disciple
Hi, I`m building a workstation & Im looking for a motherboard thats "asus P9X79 E WS " or "asus Z9PE D8 WS "
and also looking for the Xeon processors , I would like to know the price 1st before deciding on one/two ....

tried looking online found nothing , found nothing in Goa also , so mumbai wld be the best option

Why not AMD FX-8350? 20-30% less powerful but 10 times cheaper than Xeon.
Provide 4 times more core then Xeon which help in multitasking.

Last edited:
Why not AMD FX-8350? 20-30% less powerful but 10 times cheaper than Xeon.
Provide 4 times more core then Xeon which help in multitasking.
Never used AMD, but used the Ati grphics card, most of software was developed around Cuda & cldnt do anything, until open GL came , hows it in a long run, if the Renders wer long for 3-5 days long, will it hold up ?

@Jules Goes
Doesn't the LGA 2011 give more performance/price ratio?

Well going for LGA 2011 only, P9X79 E WS has max 64Gb ram
& asus Z9PE D8 WS Max. 256GB DDR3 ECC ram , Called up gigabyte & they only give workstation brds to B2B

Is der any shop in mumbai which sales Xeon processors ?? wld like to knw the Rates & want to use the Rig for 3-5 years or more :p

@sa
@Jules Goes
Isn't the 4930k sufficient for your work

It is Good, but not sure of long render Hours/days & stability, Hate the crashes . So going to work on Film VFX. My plan was to use the Xeon E5-2630/E5-2620v & upgrade to higher processor after a year.

For gaming will be building a new rig later on , This is only for work , but has to fit in my budget ;)

Xeons are available for LGA 1150 too. For rendering, they are arguably worse than LGA 2011 i7s. So better look for 6 core LGA 2011 processors rather than Xeons specifically.

While Xeons are not easily available in India, 2011 processors are, and they should be good value for you. Check PRIMEABGB.

Thanks for the reply's , i think ill hve to stick with i7, as dint find the xeons till now, got one but its Rs 10,000 extra den USA rate(using current dollar rate) .

Has anyone here used Xeon for animation/VFX or media work ??? cld nt find reviews or anyone using dem in this forum

MOD EDIT: Please do not use SMS lingo in the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xeons although available fairly easily in India, are not usually available at the dealers or their websites that we usually frequent or talk about on this forum, since their target audience is completely different. That being said, I bought a Xeon E3 ivy bridge for a virtualization server I put together a few months back and it cost me hardly a couple of Ks more than the US rate at the time.

If you're looking in Mumbai you can try getting in touch with Boston IT Solutions (bostonindia.in) or Meganet (meganet1.com), shoot them a mail asking for a quote. Found them while I was looking for Supermicro distributors but they stock all server products. A Delhi dealer who was/is active on this forum (intelserverbuilder) also stocks Intel server products and may ship to you as well, if you don't find what you're looking for in mumbai. Let me know if you want his contact details to get in touch.

Xeons although available fairly easily in India, are not usually available at the dealers or their websites that we usually frequent or talk about on this forum, since their target audience is completely different. That being said, I bought a Xeon E3 ivy bridge for a virtualization server I put together a few months back and it cost me hardly a couple of Ks more than the US rate at the time.

If you're looking in Mumbai you can try getting in touch with Boston IT Solutions (bostonindia.in) or Meganet (meganet1.com), shoot them a mail asking for a quote. Found them while I was looking for Supermicro distributors but they stock all server products. A Delhi dealer who was/is active on this forum (intelserverbuilder) also stocks Intel server products and may ship to you as well, if you don't find what you're looking for in mumbai. Let me know if you want his contact details to get in touch.

Thanks for the reply, I`m kind of late here. I contacted Boston IT Solutions but still the price is higher , got a online shop based in Bangalore which is giving it for a good price.

what you guys think of a Water Cooling. is it good ??? and any idea about haswell E release date?

Back