Video Which 29" slim TV should I get - LG or Samsung?

Planning to buy a 29" Slim TV this Diwali. Option is limited to LG or Samsung for personal reasons.

Plz suggests the best TV among the following in terms of picture & sound quality. It should also have a DVD component input.

1. LG Slimagic TV (Model : 29FD7RGE-TG) - LG India :: Life is Good !!!

2. LG Slimagic TV (Model : 29FU1RG) - LG India :: Life is Good !!!

3. Samsung SlimFit TV (Model: CS-29Z57MA) - SAMSUNG's Digital World - Flat TV | CS-29Z57MA

4. Samsung SlimFit TV (Model: CS-29Z50MA) - SAMSUNG's Digital World - Flat TV | CS-29Z50MA

Theres one in LG which has USB port too !! Check that out if interested. Not sure if its already listed in the ones mentioned above though.

Please not LG. Pic quality sucks and their customer care too. If you are unlucky, your tv will suck due to their mass production in their factories.

I currently own a 9 yr old LG 21" TV and am pretty happy with the picture quality especially for dvdrips movies. Also, a friend of mine owns the LG 29" slimagic and told me that the picture quality is excellent & was on par with Samsung and Sony when he compared them in the showroom. I cannot personally check his TV since he stays in another city. Last year I bought a 15" LG TV instead of the samsung model because it had better sound quality. Picture quality was the same.

Anyway, the main thing that i want to know is whether there is any problem with either the LG or Samsung slim TVs after using them for sometime. I read somewhere that the picture tube of LG slim TV are not as good as the ones on the normal flat tv. Is this true?

@vivekbabbudelhi , how is the quality of phillips picture tube?

^^ i have a 29" LG crt with me (3 yrs old).It has a LG-PHILIPS tube(i have opened it up myself).Picture quality is simply awesome...

as for LG slim i can't comment as i haven't seen them..but make sure u get a tv with 3d combo filter & AVL

I had seen some of the 29 inch samsung slim TVs some 6 months ago at e-zone Bangalore. The samsungs seemed to be quite good. Sony wegas(regular) were sad with too much contrast.

LG should also be good. In fact, most of their products used to be way better than samsung but lots of people have had bad experience with their customer support and it seems their quality has deteriorated with loss of sales to samsung.

One more thing, my dvd player has a component video output (just progressive or both progressive & interlaced, am not sure); and i want to know if can connect to the component input of the TV which will be interlaced?

andysmith45 said:
One more thing, my dvd player has a component video output (just progressive or both progressive & interlaced, am not sure); and i want to know if can connect to the component input of the TV which will be interlaced?

You can ask the salesman if your TV takes component video i/p. From my experience, the 29 inch models come with all the bells and whistles. 21 inch is where you have to be careful.

But, seriously, get a TV with component and S-video also if you can. If you have a lappy(most likely you will get one in the future) S-video comes useful in making a clean connection between TV and lappy.

The component i/p is also good to have. I've a TV with component in and a lappy with S-video out. I used an S-video to component converter(came with my gfx card) and 3 RCA cables to connect the lappy to the TV. The picture was far better when I used another S-video to composite converter and a single RCA cable to connect the TV and lappy.

Keep in mind though that movies played from your laptop will never look even half as good as your regular TV programming due to differences between how a picture is displayed on a TV and a monitor.

Also make sure that the AV in and component in do not share the same audio i/ps(my stoopid chinese Haier TV does so for some reason. Man, I wish I had bought a 21 inch LG TV that I was interested in at the time....just hated the channel change on the LG remote).

New stocks of LG Slimagic TV (Model : 29FD7RGE-TG) finally came today. The Samsung slimfit tv is still out of stock. I compared the LG slimagic TV to a normal Samsung 29" Flat TV (CS-29K44ML - SAMSUNG's Digital World - Flat TV | CS-29K44ML) and found the samsung to have better picture and sound quality. The difference in the length of the picture tube is only about 6" which is of not much benefit. Should I go for this samsung TV? Also, this tv has a 4H comb filter. Is this good?

I asked the dealer to connect the TV to the dvd player using component cable but he was completely ignorant about it. I have a s-video cable but this tv doesn't support it.

Thx everyone for your inputs. I bought the Samsung CS-29K44ML instead of the LG slimagic. Now, I want to know the cost of a dvd component cable (not the gold plated ones) or can I just use three standard composite video cables for connecting the dvd component out to the TV component in? Will their be any difference in quality?

I have already bought the Samsung CS-29K44ML. Its a normal 29" Flat CRT TV. I connected the component out of my my dvd player to the component input of the TV and it works!. Can I get an even better picture quality if I use a dvd component cable?

@original topic
which one of the two samsungs to buy? (confirm if one is not out yet)
even in patna, both are not in stock. also any idea of the prices?

do they really look similar to LCD TV's (I saw one LG 21" which does).

Back