Storage Solutions Which 500GB HDD to get?

Ravi_D said:
Western Digital DRM'd Hard Drive Won't Let You Share MP3, DivX ... Or Impulse Tracker.

More reasons to boycott WD.though only 1tb external hard disks are drmed as of now but I don't see any reason why can't they do it to 500gigs ones.SO make sure before you buy.

Thats not true mate, it's just the Anywhere Access software that comes preinstalled with the drives which doesn't let you access the media files ... you can choose not to install that software and it'll work like a regular drive :)

Lord Nemesis said:
Is the Hitachi 500GB any good, Seems like its the only one available here. Cost is coming to 5.5k Taxes inclusive.

Is it T7K500? I love that series. Initial batch was made in Thailand but recent batches are Made in China. Difference is in noise. Chinese one is more noisy. This is my experience with the 320GB versions of this series.

btw, can any one tell me how many years warranty Hitachi gives on its HDD. Seems like there is no other way than to go for the Hitachi drive.

hitachi is 5 years. and u can replace only via ur dealer afaik . thats wht smc told me here in delhi

he calimed he can have a new drive in 5 days flat incase the one i for failed.

Segate or WD .... Don't even think of buying other's... manufacturing HDD's is the main concern of these companies ... so better quality...

The price difference between then will be few 100's or may be less...

WD's are bit rare though(My exp. while purchasing HDD's )

^^are you telling me that a company which is diversified will not concentrate on its many interests? thats complete rubbish. any company is not gonna diversify 'for the heck of it'...
at lord nemesis.. hitachis are pretty decent and no u need not go back to ur dealer alone for warranty. they dont ahve collection points such as seagates or a courier pick up service like WD.. but if u mail their customer support, they will guide you to a nearby distry/other dealer with instructions.

Even Hitachi's gone out of stock, so going for WD finally.
250GB Seagate SATA + 400GB Seagate SATA + 500GB Seagate SATA + 4 x 500GB WD500AAKS

btw, JeDiKnight is all space for some special purpose or just for regular stuff. You have more disk space than most people. :O But, I have access to more disk space at office 7 TB (14 x 500GB) to be exact... :bleh:

hmm i know.. i am using WD 320Gb Sata 2 for almost a year and not even a single prob :) WD has captured its name in HDD.

lately during last week.. my friends Seagate 320GB (IDE) crashed and its lying at service centre.. the data was important.. so if u wana take risk, but Seagate.. i dont even trust Hitachi.

i too was obsessd wit Seagates....got a WD 500 - the one wit 16 MB buffer (jus cos it was 800 bucks cheaper than an equivalent Seagate :p)....but now find no problem with it.....about RMA....have no idea abt that yet....hardly been two weeks since i got this one...

I've got a 80gig seagate which has been handled ridicoulously badly... almost like an external drive... without casing or any shit. And it still works. And wtf is this rma shit anyway :p

Lord Nemesis said:
btw, JeDiKnight is all space for some special purpose or just for regular stuff. You have more disk space than most people. :O But, I have access to more disk space at office 7 TB (14 x 500GB) to be exact... :bleh:

naah...nothing special...actually am bidding farewell to my dvds, hav abt 700 of them...so transferring them to hdds...and if "access" to disk space is wht u r counting then thrs internet for u :p

My experiences, here we go---

Till now used 6 Seagates (4 Patas n 2 Satas) n no probs at all. At times used some of them very badly but still superb on performance. +Really Strong built PCB, can withstand power-shorts, trips etc. Draws less power. As for RMA, never faced any issue till date so've no xperience. Temps of 250gb r too hot.

Used 160gb sata Hitachi Sata, died in between unknowingly (was out of warranty), but it runs super cool n no noise! Less power consume.

Using 80gb Samsung Sata n 40gb Pata , temps r cool. Bt 40gb went bad suddenly, no bad sectors bt some partitions created not geting accessed. N yesterday only my 80gb Samsung's pcb went bad.(my mistake though). +Delicate PCB, cant withstand power-shorts, trips, molex fluctuations. Samsung=Very DELICATE! + Power hungry. Battles with other devices attached to adjoining Molex.

Using Maxtor 250GB Sata n 160S ata N 40 Pata, performance n temps similar to Seagate. Eats more power bt less than Samsung.

Using WD 180 Pata, runs cool n ok. Less power consume.

I will say, u've good xperiences with Seagate, so stick with it. Else opt for WD. But no to samsung.

Back