Storage Solutions Which 500GB HDD to get?

6pack said:
check sata settings in bios as well as use diff sata cable if possible!

Already tried everything. 4 Different SATA Ports, 4 different cables setting it to SATA1 with a jumper etc. Anyways getting a replacement drive by evening.

Lord Nemesis said:
Already tried everything. 4 Different SATA Ports, 4 different cables setting it to SATA1 with a jumper etc. Anyways getting a replacement drive by evening.

i had faced the same thing with maxtor 300GB got it exchanged for 250GB hitachi

right now pretty much happy with my 500+250GB hitachi drives, no issues till now :)

Systemic Anamoly said:
i had faced the same thing with maxtor 300GB got it exchanged for 250GB hitachi

right now pretty much happy with my 500+250GB hitachi drives, no issues till now :)

Got a replacement HDD this evening and its working flawlessly. :) As I mentioned earlier, the first one must be a DOA case.

I wouldn't be able to decide really as out of the 20 odd HDD's I have bought since 1994 (starting with 1.1GB Seagate), only that first 1.1GB crashed for good, and Seagate had no such warranty those days over 1 yr. limited. Haven't had any such problems with either Seagate or WD in the last 5 years, but my gut feeling tells me that Seagate is better - they somehow seem to connect better (instantaneously) whenever I swap disks on my system, wether PATA or SATA! Currently, the tables have been reversed regards pricing. Seagate is more expensive now compared to equivalent WD.

JeDiKnight said:
naah...nothing special...actually am bidding farewell to my dvds, hav abt 700 of them...so transferring them to hdds...and if "access" to disk space is wht u r counting then thrs internet for u :p

Yo JeDiKnight Yoda! How about swapping a few of those DVD's? Got a list somewhere??:)

kingkong said:
Yo JeDiKnight Yoda! How about swapping a few of those DVD's? Got a list somewhere??:)

hehe :) many of my dvds r going kaput :( ...so i dont have much faith in them...i also used to have an excel...but then havent updated that for last 8-10 months...let me know wht kind of stuff u want and will try to make up the list...movies/tvshows/anime...

Back