Graphic Cards Which 6800 to get ?

Im planning to upgrade from my 9800pro to a 6800...just because theres someone coming down from the US and if i dont do it now, dont know when i will get the chance again! And i dont get much time for gaming nowadays, so just need a decent card for q4!

So, i cant decide between the XFX 6800:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814150106

and the Leadtek one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814122193

And also the EVGA ones are selling for abt 185-190$ but with a 30$ rebate, but EVGA has 0 presence here, worse than leadtek, so.....

Barely any price difference, but XFX has more of a presence here in case of any problems, but Leadtek seems better quality, much better cooling and a more respected brand. And any chances on one particular brand UNLOCKING better than another brand? What should i do ?

Thanks for your opinions!

well i guess if u can spend a lil more , the best deal wud be the ATI x800xl AGP , else the 6600 GT is good and priced in the range of 150$ , though not worthy enough the effort to get it as an upgrade to the 9800 pro .

No use going from a 9800pro to 6600gt unless less than $50 changes hands.
doom3 powered games will run nice, but they will run better on a 6800gt :p

Yup 9800 pro to 6800/6600GT will be hardly an upgrade(Although you will be able to up the resolution). As for brand presence, both XFX and leadktek are available. Imo "if you can" then you would be better off getting a x800xl or 6800GT.

x800xl comes to about 265$ just not worth the jump...while the x800pro is about 230-235$....its 256mb and really outperforms the 6800, but im hoping and praying i can unlock the 6800 to 16x6 !!

BTW who is the Leadtek distributor here? and what are 6800 vanilla costs here?

memories_dv said:
x800xl comes to about 265$ just not worth the jump...while the x800pro is about 230-235$....its 256mb and really outperforms the 6800, but im hoping and praying i can unlock the 6800 to 16x6 !!

BTW who is the Leadtek distributor here? and what are 6800 vanilla costs here?

Zebronics is the leadtek distributor here. The 6800 cost around 13.5k some months back, i am sure prices must have reduced by now. Also unlocking a 6800 to 16*6 won't give you much of an performance boost, if you are expecting near 6800GT performance by unlocking to 16*6 you will be really disappointed.

My advise to you would be buy the 6600GT here locally... IMPO sourceing only high ends parts from outside makes sense(Warrenty and Customes Issues)... For a very small difference you can get a 6600GT here which performs just as good as a 6800 but then as everybody else mentioned you would be thrilled by the performance jump from 9800 pro to 6600Gt/6800... But games like Q4 you will surely see a difference...

There was a link in the thread of this CArd that this card is a Fake, a Name error. Its actually a GTO :S. See Graphics CArd. You shud find it there...

Do you seriously wana invest in a graphic card now for that system? I mean the 9800 pro is perfectly suitable for that system. You wont see much improvement even with 6800NU.

If you must get the new card then go for plain GTO AGP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

It overclocks nicely. And will last you Q4 easily. But before buying decide when your future upgrade is going to be. If its in 6 months or less then stick to 9800 pro only because you will mostly be changing platform totally to PCI express.

Nope, no upgrades planned for another year atleast...so need a card that will last me Q4, Fear, Colin 06....with some amount of AA/AF power at 1024. As i said, im doing my MBA and hardly get any time to game. Need somehting for the holidays!

memories_dv said:
Nope, no upgrades planned for another year atleast...so need a card that will last me Q4, Fear, Colin 06....with some amount of AA/AF power at 1024. As i said, im doing my MBA and hardly get any time to game. Need somehting for the holidays!
You won't get much of an FPS boost upgrading from a 9800 to a vanilla 6800 especially with that athlon xp CPU of urs. Save up and upgrade the whole system instead.

memories_dv said:

Which college? You get into NM finally?

If thats the case get a 6600GT. Available for almost 8k here I would recommend the BIG brand as its said to be a BFG OEM.

TechHead : Nope, SPJIMR dual MIT+MBA.

How will my system perform in q4? I dont really like my doom3 performance...6800 seems to have decent improvements over a 9800p acc. to Toms VGA charts 7.

i know there will be some increase in performnce when u get 6800 ...... but thing is u will be cursing urself soon when u find still u can't play with high setting ........ but u don't plan to upgrade urself dor a year then u might take it ...... i will say performance will be increase to 1.5 times and in some case to 2 times(here i am not talking about overclocked 9800) ...... but IMPO i will say investing in a AGP card doesn't makes any sence(considering u have a good card)...... so its all upto u if u really have money and have nothing to do with it .... then go ahead and get one

Well, i think too that a 6800 aint much of an upgrade over a 9800pro unless for the performance in Doom III and SM 3.0..

Nway, if u wanna still go for the 6800, then the deals on newegg seem good..

Back