Which heat sink compound to buy?

Until now, I used to get the thermal paste in a small plastic bottle for Rs 10/- from a computer shop. It served me well.

But, I don't often require it, and it gets hard very quickly. And when I need one, I have to quite far as there are no computer shops near me who keep thermal paste with them.

I do not need thermal paste often though... I do not change thermal paste regularly for my running desktops, as I do not want to disturb it if the CPU is running nicely without any heat issues.

So, should I go for a pricey and quality heat sink compound like Arctic Silver which I think lasts for several years? Or, should I just buy the cheap thermal paste when I need one?

Suggestions please.

I do need one now, as I have an old motherboard that is not booting up, and I want to change the CPU to see if CPU is dead.

Buy a small tube of Arctic MX-4. It will last for about 5-6 years once used, if stored in a cold and dark place. There will be a significant temp drop compared to cheap paste and MX-4 will last much much longer before you need to reapply it.

Arctic MX4 is a really good paste. I have recently used Noctua NT-H1 which came bundled with my cooler and that also seems pretty decent. Don't get metal based paste like Arctic silver as they are electrically conductive and can damage your socket/cpu if it spills even slightly.

Only 700? It used to be around 1.5-2k when I last checked.

I will also need Iso Propyl Alcohol to clean the CPU surface. Found these options, all free delivery and fulfilled by Amazon. I can also use it to disinfect my mobile phone.

Seems good considering the quantity and price.

Don't know why this one is costlier than above. Any advantage in buying this one?

Then there is just the 100 ml one... but more is better, right?

Which one to go for?

I will also need Iso Propyl Alcohol to clean the CPU surface. Found these options, all free delivery and fulfilled by Amazon. I can also use it to disinfect my mobile phone.

Seems good considering the quantity and price.

Don't know why this one is costlier than above. Any advantage in buying this one?

Then there is just the 100 ml one... but more is better, right?

Which one to go for?
You can get 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol from your nearest medical shop. There is no different between the generic and branded ones.

You can get 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol from your nearest medical shop. There is no different between the generic and branded ones.
I think there is. The local ones don't have much alcohol ... because they don't evaporate .. I think deos have more alcohol these days ... just the way things are .... this is NCR story. Things might be diff where you are. I bought one in Goa and it was really strong smelling typical one.

I think there is. The local ones don't have much alcohol ... because they don't evaporate .. I think deos have more alcohol these days ... just the way things are .... this is NCR story. Things might be diff where you are. I bought one in Goa and it was really strong smelling typical one.
You can get multiple types of Isopropyl Alcohol over the counter, ranging from 40%-99.9% ones. The 'medical grade' ones are usually 70% alcohol that might be a reason. But usually they have labels indicating the alcohol content.

I inquired in so many medical shops around my area, and none of them have Iso Propyl Alcohol. That's why I am asking here. It seems like there might be some restriction on selling the product here... don't know. Some of them don't even know what the product is... you ask them the name, and they are like... what? Shame.

Same with many computer shops... they don't have knowledge about the latest products or sometimes the terminology. Years ago, I had to buy internal HDD for my PC, and he wasn't aware of the latest hard drive from Seagate with 7200 RPM. I had to show him on the website.

I inquired in so many medical shops around my area, and none of them have Iso Propyl Alcohol. That's why I am asking here. It seems like there might be some restriction on selling the product here... don't know. Some of them don't even know what the product is... you ask them the name, and they are like... what? Shame.

Same with many computer shops... they don't have knowledge about the latest products or sometimes the terminology. Years ago, I had to buy internal HDD for my PC, and he wasn't aware of the latest hard drive from Seagate with 7200 RPM. I had to show him on the website.
the medical shop isopropyl has different concentration , we require 99.9 % please do note that.

It is not flipkart assured though. For some reason none of the IPA was assured by flipkart. I guess same is with amazon.

Back