Which heat sink compound to buy?

okay, so I've used Artic silver, some basic Noctua paste (don't remember the exact version), regular cheap white paste and a slightly better quality cheap grey paste. Thermal paste is dual use for me as it's used on both cpus as well as stuff I build that gets pretty hot.

These are my observations, have a look and decide for yourself:
1. The really expensive Artic silver paste is definitely better than the regular stuff BUT the improvement is about 3-5C. Unless you're overclocking, this wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. None of the recent chips run as hot as the ones around P4 era.

2. The important thing is how little paste you apply. The TIM layer should be as thin as feasible, only enough to fill the imperfections between the metal surfaces.

3. Avoid the really cheap ones, I've noticed unevenness in the paste. That could possibly force you to use a thicker layer of paste to compensate.

4. They have a limited shelf life. After a while the solvent separates from the paste. It's still usable but much more difficult to apply a thin layer. This doesn't matter if the paste is already on the package because the heatsink would have squeezed it thin already while it was less viscous. I've left the paste on the cpu for like 6 years before changing it, yet it never really stuck the HS and cpu packages together like glue. You need to twist it slightly before pulling up.

Back