which is better...

john_avi

Disciple
Hi guyz,
Please suggest me which is a better choice Intel Core 2 duo (2.9ghz) or AMD Athlon 245 (2.9 ghz). My main uses are casual gaming,music and some programming also.

Go ahead with the AMD try to get the Phenom II 550 its the best shouldn't be more than 6K as well don't buy i3 as it has got worst bandwidth. Worse than even the Core2 series :)

Thanks guyz

I have a doubt many ppl have suggested me not to take amd because of heating problem. is it true? does it still have heating issues? as u all are using it so must be knowing.

john_avi said:
Thanks guyz

I have a doubt many ppl have suggested me not to take amd because of heating problem. is it true? does it still have heating issues? as u all are using it so must be knowing.

AMD had heating issues 6 years back, since Athlon64 they run super cool. In fact, I would say Intel runs hotter since the Prescott days.
Get your facts right, don't listen to those uninformed shopkeepers. The reason they say this is because their profits are less in selling AMD processors, and Intel gives them huge commission.

dreamCatcher said:
AMD had heating issues 6 years back, since Athlon64 they run super cool. In fact, I would say Intel runs hotter since the Prescott days.
Get your facts right, don't listen to those uninformed shopkeepers. The reason they say this is because their profits are less in selling AMD processors, and Intel gives them huge commission.

well said the shop keepers are all very biased due to the fact that they have to continually keep bleeding the no. of old out of demand Core2 Duo and Core2quads in stock, fact is some are still trying to pass of the older Prescott processors in their stocks as older version of Core2Duo and the unsuspecting people fall into the trap :mad:

AMD processors getting heated up is just a rumour. I usually hear the same thing word-by-word all over Andhra as if someone has told everyone to utter the same thing for the past decade. I have been using AMD for past 6years and I never faced problem with heat and my processors always stay overclocked.

john_avi said:
Thanks guyz

Even my friend claimed that you can't even use AMD based systems in summer because it runs very hot.I was feeling like :mad::mad: and kick his a** and put his head into an oven and make him feel real heat.:no:

john_avi said:
Thanks guyz

LOL. They still telling these stories ? The Proccy that came before the Athlon XP series were hot ( i forgot the name, i still have a board and proccy running). But after the XP series its all Thanda Thanda cool cool

crvinay_4u said:
Even my friend claimed that you can't even use AMD based systems in summer because it runs very hot.I was feeling like :mad::mad: and kick his a** and put his head into an oven and make him feel real heat.:no:

Well Said :hap2: :eek:hyeah:

crvinay_4u said:

he will get back to you and say, "This microwave oven has AMD processor and hence it's very hot inside. Told Ya!"

sunny27 said:
thunderbird ? duron? k6?

those were K5 processors and the main reason for that was AMD didn't provide cooling with CPU and people had to buy third party coolers which were not as effective as Intel's and hence the heat thing. But it all was gone from K6. Since the release of Athlon, AMD had been on the cooler side. BTW, remember those blazing hot Pentium 4s? :)

AMD is definitely the way to go.

X2 will run you around 2.6k(2 cores), X3 will run you around 3.6k(3 cores) and X4 will run you around 5.5k(quad core). Instead of the dual core processors, consider spending 1000 more and getting yourself 33% better processing power.

AMD > Intel in my opinion. But then again, that's my opinion :)

Thank you guyz for your suggestion, I have finally ordered AMD athlon X4 (630) with a gigabyte mobo. Today I"ll be getting this. After few days I want to add a low-end decent graphics card which can run games like F.E.A.R and Far Cry on low settings. So please advice me. I am running tight on budget.

You could have just googled it and the 2nd link would say PSU-> Power supply Unit. Also called as SMPS.
I guess you have a generic one as you are not aware of what PSU stands for.
For a 15" monitor a MSI ATI HD4650~3k should do. Gives decent frame rates for a 1024*768 resolution.

Back