Linux Which is the best version for linux for desktop

hi guys i know there are many version of linux and every one is comfortable with atleast one version.Can any one tell me which is the best for desktop.i want to have dual os :eek:hyeah: .already have WIN XP prof (9/10 people have it).pls suggest one.

There is no single "best" solution for one and all. There are plenty of good choices though. Ubuntu, Fedora Core 5 and Suse 10.1 will all be nice and user friendly options. You can also try out live CD's like Knoppix and Slax (KDE based) or Ubuntu live (Gnome based) to get a good feel of the two major desktop environments available for linux.

Live CD is a distro that can be run of a CDRom. It need not be installed. It just uses the CDROM and the RAM to load and run the whole OS with some very advanced options. Very useful to get the feel of the OS.

I would recommend use SuSE for better OS of the current lot just for the user friendliness.

i personally prefer gentoo.
but it is very tough to install.

for user friendliness i say go for

suse or mandrake 10.1

i suggest Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu since KDE is easier to work with than gnome for beginner.

redhat is tough if ur a beginner.

if ur comfortable using linux then all the distros are same.

if ur a beginner go for mandrake 10.1 or kubuntu or suse

PS:FEDORA is same as redhat all the redhat series after redhat 9 were named fedora 1 ,2 ,3 etc

if u can wait then wait for June 1, Ubuntu dapper would be officially launched. The beautiful thing is that they have managed to shrink the 2 Install & Live CD's into 1 Install &/or Live CD so you can see & feel the distro without using much of time. You can either download the binary which is in the final stages of testing from ubuntu or wait for the D-day to download it. Another way of having it would be going through shipit & asking them to ship u the CD's. The CD's are free as they're sponsored by Canonical Ltd & u don't have to pay anything. There's another one called Kubuntu which again can be had from shipit or Edubuntu . The difference between the 3 are Ubuntu is for Gnome lovers (like me) while Kubuntu is for KDE guys (argumentatively similar in look & feel to windows) & edubuntu for children & school-college going kids for education & fun. The only thing with shipit is it takes about 6-8 weeks for the CD's to arrive while downloading or torrenting would be matter of hrs. or days depending on u'r broadband connectivity.

There are no. of reasons one should use ubuntu or Mepis or any debian derived derivative over rpm based distros is because it's more stable. rpm-based distros like Fedora or Mandrake are notorious while upgrading/updating & resolving conflicts while apt-get (comes with debian) does the job wonderfully. If u're a constant upgrader/tweaker like me you'll love any of the debian derivatives.

Another major reason is that the ubuntu has a repositery in India hence downloading updates is much more easier which in turn means one can download the whole DVD repositery if so required & burn it.

Another reason being the forums which are also very well organised & helpful.

The last & not the least the look & feel of the product is much more polished than the alternatives described above. Another great way of looking into different products would be going through distrowatch.com & comparing the screenshots of the different distros. so that u have an idea what to expect.

Disclaimer :- These are based on my experiences & may differ from person to person :)

Back