Monitors Which LCD Monitor to buy ?

anirudh

Adept
I am thinking of taking a LCD Monitor. The problem is there are so many available, I am unable to decide....I also need adjustable height.

I have selected some 5-6 monitors...from which the best one has to be chosen and they are:-

Viewsonic VG1930WM

Viewsonic VG2030WM

Samsung 940BW

Samsung 940NW

ASUS VW192S

ASUS MW201U

I currently got Samsung SyncMaster 793MB and I will be upgrading within this year....
Plz help me in deciding....

Udit said:
adjustable height is useless if you find a Viewsonic VX2025WM buy it

PERIOD

^^ Udit wrong...
TN panels in particular have such bad vertical viewing angles that having a height adjust is a blessing if you're too tall, short or have a weird chair...

Just take a look at the monitor from a couple of inches above and below the proper angle and you'll get what I'm saying. That being said that's what the tilt is for. Of course in his case tilt won't work cause he wants the monitor an inch above his desktop...

anirudh...dell ultrasharp 2007wfp, ASUS (some models) and some NEC monitors have height adjustment.

VX2025WM is 17.3" in height

Samsung 940BW is 14.2" in height

Samsung SyncMaster 793MB using now is 13.88" in height

so how is vx2025wm lowest default height...

vandal said:
^^ Udit wrong...

TN panels in particular have such bad vertical viewing angles that having a height adjust is a blessing if you're too tall, short or have a weird chair...

that is why I told him to buy a VX2025WM which is a 8bit P-MVA Panel & has no viewing angle problems :p

Look at the angle at which I use my VP930b 8bit MVA Panel LCD & I face no problems whatsoever :D

I have kept my LCD at it's highest height :eek:hyeah:

anirudh said:
response time is 8ms...which is less...nowadays 2ms is available

8ms on a P-MVA is faster or equal to sub 5ms of a TN Panel mostly

I use a 8ms MVA Panel with no ghosting issues for GODS SAKE geez

if you cannot digest suggestions easily don't ask here :mad:

ok now a final suggestion get a Dell 2007WFP from http://www.techenclave.com/forums/deal-dell-20-22-24-monitors-89889.html

it is the best panel available in India currently it's a S-IPS

Heh 2ms of a TN panel is probably 6-8ms of other panels. My Dell 2005 FPW is a 12ms S-IPS... however i've never seen one instance of ghosting on it ever :p. If you can get a 2007WFP, grab it with both hands.... don't even think of it twice. Its hands down the best panel by a huge margin.

Chaos said:
Heh 2ms of a TN panel is probably 6-8ms of other panels. My Dell 2005 FPW is a 12ms S-IPS... however i've never seen one instance of ghosting on it ever :p. If you can get a 2007WFP, grab it with both hands.... don't even think of it twice. Its hands down the best panel by a huge margin.

I concur with chaos on that. :p Just use an S-IPS display once and you wouldnt touch a TN Panel with a 20 foot stick. Even side by side comparison is not required. After using the 2007WFP at home, I hate to use the iMacs at the office. They all have TN Panels. :ashamed:

The Samsung 206BW is also a TN-based panel. Not sure about the pricing though (i.e. whether its a good deal or no)

thexfactor said:

So the summary is TN is pretty good for normal use (incld games) and is the most affordable.

MVA if you have many ppl watching the screen, so your screen is viewable from different angles, or for watching movies. But you know a simple trick is to place the TV/monitor in a corner (think of the tv as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle) and guess what

..you automatically reduce viewable angles from 180 to 90 degrees total, the cheapest set won't have problems in this case.

S-IPS if you are into color accurate stuff, photoshop etc. You would also need to have the hardware calibrating equimpement to ensure things are in sync from time time. Who does ? only if you are in the DTP biz professionally. So this would be wasted on a home user, even if they were into photoshop.

Agreed ?

By the looks of it, TN sets are probably good enough for 90% of the users out there. If so then the rest is down to other intangibles, like price, features, after sales service etc.

Back