Which LCD/Plasma/LED TV and size should i go for

PRM

Disciple
Hi,
My room has a viewing distance of around 8' (room is 10' wide) I enquired at retail shops they are telling 32" is the best. But it looks too small for my room. I wanted to go for 40" LCD TV...
How do you know which size is the best?

Budget = 50K INR

Regards
PRM

Another chart to to add to the confusion.
Chart: 1080P Does Matter - CarltonBale.com

I have about the same viewing distance and was going to buy a 32" too. Instead got a 42" as the deal was good, and I am very happy with it, don't feel that it is too large for the viewing distance. If you feel that 32" is going to be small, then no amount of charts or calculators are going to convince you otherwise.

The calculator mentioned in the above post is for Home Theater type of viewing. That will help if you are only going to watch DVDs/BluRays and not with the usual non HD channels from the local cablewala.

One drawback of increasing screensize is the upscaling of SD content on TV. The errors are much more visible. This depends on the quality of the upscaler in the TV, so check the TVs with normal TV content too while comparing.

Hi,
Thanks for sharing the experience. I went to one of my friends place with same viewing distance I felt 40" was also ok.

But when i asked him he said sometimes it has problem with viewing high speed actions, he has Sony Bravia.

rgds
PRM

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I have seen Sony Bravia 40" BX400 and Samsung C530 (40")

I found that Bravia provides USB port but works with limited file formats where as Samsung gives a better range of supported file formats.

which one should i go for?
rgds
prm

high speed action can appear blurry due to the frame rate at which the display runs.

The general technology used to counter this is explained in this link. It also mentions the naming used by various manufacturers for advertising purposes.

Motion interpolation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LG - TruMotion 120 Hz, 240 Hz

Samsung - Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz, 240 Hz

Sony - MotionFlow 100 Hz, 120 Hz, 200 Hz, 240 Hz, 400 Hz.

You might have problems finding the 240 or 400Hz models but the others will be available in the market.

IIRC LG Jazz or Scarlett models had the most file format support, even supporting full HD mkvs out of pen drives. I am not sure, check out the other threads and wait for more responses.

Once you have finalized the budget and screensize/features post in this thread for better suggestions.

http://www.techenclave.com/gadgets-and-consumer-electronics-buying-advice/hdtv-buying-advice-thread-177204.html

1) Samsung LA37C530F1R 37" High Contrast 50Hz motion plus (not available)
2) Samsung LA40C630K1R 40" 2M:1 Contrast 100Hz motion plus 47000/-
3) LG 42LD650 42" -- 200Hz trumotion 60000/-
4) Sony Bravio BX400 40" -- 50Hz 53000/-
5) Sony Bravia NX500 40" -- 50Hz 58000/-

I checked the scroll on news channels and found that 100Hz frequency LCD TV was much more clear than 50Hz TVs.

I was not able to find Samsung 37" TV but 40" was available. Does Samsung still produces 37" LCD TV?

LG 42LD650 42" is too big i think for 8' viewing distance. Does LG provides 40" or 37" LCD TV also?

I am now inclined towards LG with 200Hz refresh rate, Samsung Series 6 (with 100Hz refresh rate) is stil not availabe in market.

In my house there is a 42'inch panasonic viera and it is no overkill.there is also a 32'inch lg lcd tv which fits nicely too but in a smaller room.I have no idea of what the viewing distance is but i think it is not too much.according to your budget you can go with samsung,lg,panasonic, whichever pleases you.i dont have any relaibility issues with mine TV's and i will tell the model number if interested.the LG model i have provides the Pen drive option and i have succeeded in playing mkv's and many other formats though not in hd yet.both my TV's are HDTV's and on the bigger one the quality of the sd channels is certainly not upto par,although i watch some HD channels too as i have airtel HD connection.

@OP

Dont get anything less than 40/42 inches. I have Samsung LA40C550 and its viewing distance is just 5-6 feet. i dont feel any trouble at all, even I wish if I had a bigger screen.

I was owning a 29" CRT Onida TV and today I bought the Samsung 40D550 and waiting for delivery to check how is it with viewing distance of 7-8'.
I had checked higher refresh rate TVs definitly they have much better viewing with this distance....

I am not very much impressed by the picture quality i am not sure whehter this is problem with non-HD tata sky or television. (viewed from 7-8 feet)
Also, sound quality of my old Onida tv was better :(

Sound will be better with tv that have enclosure for the speaker like in many crt tvs.
Unless the source is good there is not much the tv can do to improve the PQ.

BTW which panel did you get,how much did it cost.

I need to check the panel

Source for sound is TataSky (normal) which was giving a good quality sound.....with good bass and tribble adjustments with Onida Oxygen but..in this D550i dont get much customization.
I m thinking of connecting it to my Home theatre for TV output...let see if the sound could be improved by that way.

See, a CRT will definitely have better sound than an LCD as the manufacturer has much more room to accommodate large speakers and even sub woofers. But that is not the case with LCDs. And besides its almost a given that anyone who gets an LCD will definitely go for a home theater setup. So manufacturers don't pay much attention to sound quality on LCDs.

Back