Budget 90k+ Which mac book

chetansha

Skilled
For a student who will be doing b.sc degree course in visual communication. Will involve audio video editing etc. Wants macbook, so which one to buy?
8 or 16gb ram
512 or 1tb ssd
Mac book pro or what.
Absolutely clueless.

For a student who will be doing b.sc degree course in visual communication. Will involve audio video editing etc. Wants macbook, so which one to buy?
8 or 16gb ram
512 or 1tb ssd
Mac book pro or what.
Absolutely clueless.
macbook air m2 with 16 gb ram and 256gb storage at minimum. use a docker or usb c hdd for external storage. if money is not a problem you can try to go for m2 mackbook pro with 16gb ram, 256gb storage which will cost 150k something. I personally use it this configuration. only drawback is 13inch screen for me as I have habitual of big screens. might not be case for you.
I think the M1 Air with 8 GB will suffice for the mentioned use case. If budget permits, then 16 GB RAM is better.
have heating issues, I have head.

macbook air m2 with 16 gb ram and 256gb storage at minimum. use a docker or usb c hdd for external storage. if money is not a problem you can try to go for m2 mackbook pro with 16gb ram, 256gb storage which will cost 150k something. I personally use it this configuration. only drawback is 13inch screen for me as I have habitual of big screens. might not be case for you.

have heating issues, I have head.
Saw some reports about throttling on m2 and also r/w speeds have been halved .
Also, what about software availability (Adobe mostly) . Is it available "from you know where" or do we have to pay for it every year ?

I think the M1 Air with 8 GB will suffice for the mentioned use case. If budget permits, then 16 GB RAM is better.
+1 for this. I had the base model M1 MBA for a while and it's surprisingly performant. 16GB would be a solid bump up. Prioritize RAM over storage if the budget is limited. Anything more than this is nice to have but not necessary in my opinion.

Alternatively, if he/she is not convinced, you can also try looking for the 16/512 M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14s in the used market as they are available at a good discount over their purchase prices.
It's somewhat less efficient but in real-life usage, there won't be any problems. It's definitely less VFM than M1 if you consider the discounted prices for the old gen and even more so in the used market.
Also, what about software availability (Adobe mostly) . Is it available "from you know where" or do we have to pay for it every year ?
You can get a 60% off on the Creative Cloud all-apps subscription plan if a student email ID is available. It should come to 1600 a month including GST. It's still pricey for a student but you get access to the entire suite of apps without jumping through hoops.

Last edited:
adobe is pay monthly or yearly. piracy on ur own risk.

Performance wise, an 8/256 M1 should be good enough. As a student, he's not going to be doing very big projects. But 16 GB RAM always adds some future proofing, if budget permits.

For video editing, 1 TB also is not going to be enough anyway. So just buy an external 2 TB SSD which will be much cheaper than MacBook's 1 TB upgrade.

Apple's back to the school offer is just around the corner. So you might want to wait for that.
I heard that it should be starting by June end.

Aim for a minimum of 16gb Ram and 512gb of storage.

People just club Video Editing under one big umbrella and IMHO that is the wrong approach. Different codecs require different horsepower. And something like After Effects can gobble up as much RAM as you can give it.

8gb/256 will not be sufficient.

Also, this person can splurge on a Mac, but isn't okay spending 1600 a month on Software? Availability of non-paid Adobe stuff is a bit spotty and not as easy and straight forward as it used to be. Best to check with the college if they have licenses already available.

Aim for a minimum of 16gb Ram and 512gb of storage.

People just club Video Editing under one big umbrella and IMHO that is the wrong approach. Different codecs require different horsepower. And something like After Effects can gobble up as much RAM as you can give it.

8gb/256 will not be sufficient.

Also, this person can splurge on a Mac, but isn't okay spending 1600 a month on Software? Availability of non-paid Adobe stuff is a bit spotty and not as easy and straight forward as it used to be. Best to check with the college if they have licenses already available.
College has suggested to go with acer asus hp. So MacBook is off the table.
So will be going with the acer mention earlier in thread.

It is impossible to offer useful advice without working with a target budget and knowing his requirements re: portability and battery life.

Back