CPU/Mobo Which mobo will support 32GB RAM for AMD Athlon II X4 630?

rock_ya_baby

~~~=o=~~~
Adept
I have an AMD Athlon II X4 630 on a DFI 790 FX M2RS LANPARTY board. Please suggest the cheapest upgrade to support 32Gig RAM on this combination. This is a lab pc and just needs more ram. The current board supports 8gig max.

Here is the list of recommended boards for your processor.
Find and Compare Recommended AMD Powered Motherboards

http://products.amd.com/pages/RecommendedComponentResult.aspx?id=594&f1=AMD+Athlon™+II+X4&f2=630&f3=2800&f4=512&f5=AM3&f6=C2&f7=45nm+SOI&f8=95+W&f10=False&models=596&source=desktopCPU&target=motherboard&socket=AM3&

I can see ASRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard - ASRock for 7500/-
Please specify how cheap??

Aargh...am not able to paste the proper link here.
Pasting a screenshot from AMD's site
Motherboard.JPG

Attachments

• Find and Compare Recommended AMD Powered Motherboards.pdf
    145.8 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Thanks for the input mate. I guess cheaper the better as this is lab pc and further need to add RAMs as well. Hope the old mobo can be sold off to recover some money. I was looking at these in attempt to figure out the one which just fits my need.

Only features I am looking for are AMD-V support, 4x8Gig ram slots, AM3/AM3+ socket support. Won't hurt if the board supports PATA drives as well.

Appreciate your help

Asus M5A97 R2.0 is one of choice available. You can also get its LE version if you are very much on tight budget. But generally I would not suggest to get LE versions of Asus boards.

After some more research I have locked on these, suiting the budget.

1xAsus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard = 4.5K; this seems to be at a good price point and supports my AM3 socket CPU + 32Gig ram.
2xKingston HyperX FURY Memory DDR3 8 GB = 8.5K; will add 2 more sticks later if my VMs on this lab rig start to struggle.
Do you guys see any potential problems? This my part list pcpartpicker.com/p/f6DDyc

Its been some time since I bought any Desktop PC stuff. But, damn RAM is expensive! 32 GB will cost me 17K+ No way I am gonna buy that LOL.

1xAsus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard = 4.5K; this seems to be at a good price point and supports my AM3 socket CPU + 32Gig ram.
Had no access to flipkart on office network.Even I think this will be an appropriate board for your processor.
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard - Asus : Flipkart.com
Flipkart people have put wrong specification for the board in terms of memory.A user has already highlighted same in his comments.

Where are you buying the board from??

But, damn RAM is expensive! 32 GB will cost me 17K+ No way I am gonna buy that LOL
Even I am looking for a RAM upgrade for my PC for quite sometime for VM purpose.

Did you buy those stuff? How many VMs are your planning to run? Don't buy 32gb as your cpu might cause a bottle neck (unless you are just running VMs which consume less resources for certifications). Just invest in a cheap mobo that can support 16gb and save for a new rig.

Are your kidding?
32gb ram on AMD Athlon II X4 630? Dont know how far or superfast is anything gonna run on this.
Your cpu will be a serious bottleneck. 8-12gb ram will be sufficient.

Seems due to ram prices your have backed out of your decision of 32gb. Its better to invest in rig upgrade such that you wont really have to go for 32gb.

Btw have that almost exact same processor- Athlon 620 x4 and its sleeping in its box since past two years. Using Phenom in its place which is pretty fast compared to 620.

I got Asus M5A78L-M-USB3 motherboard for 4.5K and 2*8GB Kingston RAM 1866MHz for ~8.5K. Everything is running nicely on my Kubuntu headless server. The VMs are not even using >8GB. Good that I didn't get 32Gigs. I have tuned things so CPU is chugging along well.

@Ranjith Sai yea it is running a multi-vendor networking lab for cert prep, mostly Cisco. I use laptop for everything else.

Back