Audio Which new earphones should I buy? Are these genuine?

Hi I want to buy new earphones and have following requirements:

1. Currently own Xiomi Piston 2 + Creative ones (both are low on base)
  2. Should be highly durable. I use earphones very roughly.
  3. Budget : ₹2000
  4. Base aka "Bass" should be loud.
  5. Noise cancellation (optional)
  6. Types I listen to: Metallica, Rock, High Bass, etc.
  7. Devices I use: Nexus 5, iPhone 5S, PC
The ones I have shortlisted:

Sony MDR Xtra Bass is available for just ₹ 1150 on paytm, are they genuine??

Please suggest your choices too.
Thanks

Hi @itspriyank

If the Piston 2 was low on bass for you, the JVC HA-FX101 should be right up your alley (Review here). I have only auditioned them so I do not know about the long term durability. However, they did look sturdy what with the rubber bumper n all.

I see them on flipkart and amazon for ~1400

Hi @itspriyank

If the Piston 2 was low on bass for you, the JVC HA-FX101 should be right up your alley (Review here). I have only auditioned them so I do not know about the long term durability. However, they did look sturdy what with the rubber bumper n all.

I see them on flipkart and amazon for ~1400
Hi,
I have been going through reviews of that earphone and people are complaining that they have flat base and treble. Can you tell something about the quality. Also they have many look alike in the market increasing the probability of me getting a fake one and they do look flimsy to me.

Do not go with TekFusion. I have used them and not so happy with their bass or build quality.
Okay I will strike them out of my list. Any other suggestions.

Hi,
I have been going through reviews of that earphone and people are complaining that they have flat base and treble. Can you tell something about the quality. Also they have many look alike in the market increasing the probability of me getting a fake one and they do look flimsy to me.

I, in fact, felt the opposite. Boosted bass and somewhat boosted treble. Ensuring a good seal is vital to bass response and these delivered the highest amount of bass I have experienced in an IEM. At those levels it does get boomy and muddy but it displayed dome clarity (probably due to the treble boost.)

For the record, I found the Piston 2 to be somewhat heavy on the bass too. Are you getting a good seal? But not heavy compared to the FX101.

"Rhythmics" (Seller on Amazon.in) claim 1 Year JVC india warranty valid all over india. This must mean it is genuine. You could double check with them.

PS: ljokerl is a reliable reviewer(review link I provided) and has reviewed over 340 IEMs. Of course, the best way is to experience the IEM by yourself, but that isn't always possible.

@itspriyank I am using VSonic GR02 Bass Edition. Bass of this one is not loudest, but feel it packs punch. I have also used BrainWavz M1 before. They too have good bass but audio clarity is somewhat better in VSonic. Again this is what I feel; which is highly subjective for an individual in selecting/feeling audio device.

I, in fact, felt the opposite. Boosted bass and somewhat boosted treble. Ensuring a good seal is vital to bass response and these delivered the highest amount of bass I have experienced in an IEM. At those levels it does get boomy and muddy but it displayed dome clarity (probably due to the treble boost.)

For the record, I found the Piston 2 to be somewhat heavy on the bass too. Are you getting a good seal? But not heavy compared to the FX101.

"Rhythmics" (Seller on Amazon.in) claim 1 Year JVC india warranty valid all over india. This must mean it is genuine. You could double check with them.

PS: ljokerl is a reliable reviewer(review link I provided) and has reviewed over 340 IEMs. Of course, the best way is to experience the IEM by yourself, but that isn't always possible.
Yes I did received a sealed pack from Mi. But they didn't felt too good on bass.

@itspriyank I am using VSonic GR02 Bass Edition. Bass of this one is not loudest, but feel it packs punch. I have also used BrainWavz M1 before. They too have good bass but audio clarity is somewhat better in VSonic. Again this is what I feel; which is highly subjective for an individual in selecting/feeling audio device.

The main problem is that you can't test things before buying. We in India don't have stores like wallmart or bestbuy where you could check things out and then buy. I have a retail shop near me which has earphones of lots of brands and they all are packed, but he just won't let me test them. He has earphones available like sony (almost every varient), JVC, skullcandy, VSonic, etc.

How are sony extra bass or Sennheiser earphones?

Last edited:
^^ By a proper seal they didnt mean a sealed package when you bought the earphone. They meant the fit in your ears, the seal created by the iem should be good in order to enjoy the bass.

I didnt get a proper seal when I got the pistons, hence no bass at all. Tried all the provided ear tips, and still no result. Ordered after market eartips, and they worked like a charm, quite a lot of bass I must say.

If you want some really brain shaking bass, you can try Sony XB70. I have them, and they sound awesome, very clear, crispy sound along with tons of bass.

Hope this helps.

I felt the inverse, the BRAINWAVZ M1 were my first IEM's followed up the V.SONIC GR02 Bass Edition. The latter definitely holds up on the bass front and has a good presentation but the M1 just outshines it when it comes to separation and clarity of music with a more subdued lower end.

This was amplified when I picked up a pair of Etymotic hf5's last November and a BRAINWAVZ M5 more recently.

^^ By a proper seal they didnt mean a sealed package when you bought the earphone. They meant the fit in your ears, the seal created by the iem should be good in order to enjoy the bass.

I didnt get a proper seal when I got the pistons, hence no bass at all. Tried all the provided ear tips, and still no result. Ordered after market eartips, and they worked like a charm, quite a lot of bass I must say.

If you want some really brain shaking bass, you can try Sony XB70. I have them, and they sound awesome, very clear, crispy sound along with tons of bass.

Hope this helps.

Oh my bad, I did tried all the earbuds and one suited me perfectly. But still the clarity was the thing I didn't liked much.

I felt the inverse, the BRAINWAVZ M1 were my first IEM's followed up the V.SONIC GR02 Bass Edition. The latter definitely holds up on the bass front and has a good presentation but the M1 just outshines it when it comes to separation and clarity of music with a more subdued lower end.

This was amplified when I picked up a pair of Etymotic hf5's last November and a BRAINWAVZ M5 more recently.

I am currently interested in buying https://www.massdrop.com/buy/macaw-gt100s-iem?s=iem
I'm getting them on almost free shipping and that too with EMI.

MD-8214_20150528165313_6d853d7d9c80b952.jpg

Last edited:
There is a thread on HeadFi for these and the OP does mention them to be harder to drive so you would not a PMP / portable AMP to get the most out of these.
Thanks for the link, I am reading reviews and getting tensed. I wanted that if I have to go over the budget then I would prefer something from massdrop else only under budget.
Anyone having some experience of Brainwavz Delta?

^ Entry level IEM's definitely have a roll off with the bass swamping out the finer details and on higher end units you have to contend with the requirement of a sufficiently powerful source.

You will have to juggle with your expectation(s) always although there would definitely be an IEM for you which for all its idiosyncrasies for other listeners would be perfect for you.

^^ Thanks @ALPHA17 .
I have placed order for Brainwavz S1 after reading quite a lot of reviews of HiFi and other forums. Hope they turn out to be the perfect for me and fit my idiosyncrasy.
Just hoping they are as durable too. I have almost doubled my budget.:p

^ Oh! Yes, these are metal build should be totally worth it. mp4nation had a sale where these went for half-price, I recommended them on another forum. Hope you enjoy them as well.

Back