Which of the 5500s? LG/Sammy?

Kevin Lane

Adept
Sep 23, 2009
Hey Guys,

My bro wants to buy an LED 40/42 incher this Diwali. We have shortlisted the two 5500s. Pl suggest which of the two to go for. I am leaning towards Sammy. But, Will decide on feedback of people who are using it.

Thanx inadvance.

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
Well between the two i would go with the samsung D5500,you can also add the EX520 to the list which is slightly better in IQ but looses out in number of media formats supported in USB.

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
Go for LG & get it from an LG-Shoppe in your area. You can bargain & get it for 10-20% off on it's MRP. Check out exchange offer's + LG is throwing a few freebies during Diwali. Now in case you do not want those freebies, ask the dealer to further reduce the price :)

Calvin

Disciple
Oct 12, 2011
Go for Samsung if you need media playing capabilities. It almost played all the formats I tried. Price should be around 59-60K.

blackheart

Disciple
Jul 10, 2007
terence_fdes said:
Go for LG & get it from an LG-Shoppe in your area. You can bargain & get it for 10-20% off on it's MRP. Check out exchange offer's + LG is throwing a few freebies during Diwali. Now in case you do not want those freebies, ask the dealer to further reduce the price :)

hi,

even i m looking for a 40 - 42' HDTV .......as compared to sony / samsung the price of LG is comparatively less .....

but what about the picture quality is there a huge difference in picture quality as comapred to samsung/sony?

Or is there a very small difference and is not at all worth the extra money that you have to pay for it ....?

And samsung / sony are charging extra just becasue of their brand names

how is the picture quality as compared to plasmas ? as they are also cheaper.

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
blackheart said:
hi,

even i m looking for a 40 - 42' HDTV .......as compared to sony / samsung the price of LG is comparatively less .....

but what about the picture quality is there a huge difference in picture quality as comapred to samsung/sony?

Or is there a very small difference and is not at all worth the extra money that you have to pay for it ....?

PQ of LG esp HD is stunning.

Brand conscious folks will always have to pay more to get what "they feel" is also a better product - and "feelings" are often subjective :)

The best Plasma models by Panasonic [THX certified] are not yet launched in India. LCD technology is on it's way out & LED is the future [at least for the next 5-10 years].

blackheart

Disciple
Jul 10, 2007
terence_fdes said:
PQ of LG esp HD is stunning.

Although i will be buying an HD set top box but still the HD content is less as not all the channels are available in HD ..

So majority of the content will be SD .... so how is the SD performance of the LED tv from LG

The best Plasma models by Panasonic [THX certified said:
are not yet launched in India. LCD technology is on it's way out & LED is the future [at least for the next 5-10 years].

Any idea when panasonic will be launching this plasmas and there pricing

adder

Skilled
Jul 8, 2007
blackheart said:
hi,

Lg has good screen size: price ratio.But compared to tvs from sony/samsung they are still lacking in the image processing department,they also have rather poor contrast compared to those two brands and as far as lg lcd/led comparision to a plasma they loose big time in terms of contrast.

While some LG tvs are really good like their local dimming models ,other models such as lcds and edge lit led-lcd are just average,they do however have the passive 3d tech,they also have better viewing angle compared to Sony/samsung tvs(except perhaps the really high end ones)