Which one is the best email client

madhuraj

Disciple
Dear Friends,

Recently, we have been introduced a new email client (IBM Lotus Notes) at our workplace. Earlier i have been using Outlook Express, then shifted to MS Outlook 2007 and then again shifted to Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.

But still can't decide which client to use. Outlook Express is very simple but using it from quite a long time now :no:. MS Outlook 2007 is very slow (just my opinion). Then recently i used Thunderbird 3.0. It is fast as compared to MS Outlook 2007 :tongue:. Now we have been introduced Lotus Notes. I am quite confused :huh: about this new email client. Also i want to know which email client is best among these...

• Outlook Express 6.0
  • Windows Mail (Upgraded version of OE)
  • MS Outlook 2007
  • Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0
  • IBM Lotus Notes 8.5

Also tell which is your fav email client. :hap2:

Outlook 2007, im saying this because of the level of integration it has with various MS-Office Applications ( Word,MS office communicator,etc)

Have tried the Bat, Outlook (Express/ 2007) and Thunderbird. TB's best for IMAP. Outlook is very very bad with IMAP. If I didn't use IMAP, I'd be on Outlook for the compatibility with most mobile sync apps.

Thunderbird 3 for its ease of use and it is open source.

I will never pay M$ for something that an open source software can do, and I am against piracy.

But if you have purchased Office 2007, then go for Outlook as it will give you many sync options with other apps.

I haven't used TB, so I can't comment on it.

It's been ages I've used Outlook, so I don't know how good the 2007 version is... OE I have used only once in my life, and I'll never use it even if it's a last email client on earth.

So my choice will be not among these, as currently I manage my mails mostly on my macbook so default Mail.app suffice my needs perfectly. I haven't had any issues with both my POP and IMAP accounts on Mail.app.

iGo said:
OE I have used only once in my life, and I'll never use it even if it's a last email client on earth.

:eek:hyeah: :clap:

I have used thunderbird 3.0 for some time. But i didn't liked one thing in there - when one replies to any mail, the cursor takes you to the bottom of the mail :( to write the reply whereas in other apps the cursor will be at the top of the mail. Is this some kind of setting :huh:. Can i change it to make it appear on top of the mail when i m replying... ???

Though Thunderbird has several plug ins for various needs,

+

Can customize a lot, by installing desired addons

Not as heavy as MS outlook

Opensource

-

Needs lot of tweaks for changing UI (ex:

1. the to, cc and bcc option are the most hated ones, you have to individually select mailid

2. Replies / forwards looks ugly without customization

3. No calander, task options)

Editor is not as good as MS Word

Exporting is highly difficult, cannot export directly to ms outlook

I still feel MS outlook 2007 good

+

Good interface

Calendar, Task, notes integrated along with alerts, auto conversion of meeting timing based on zones

Easy export / import options

Interaction between other MS products

RSS feed setup

-

Too heavy, slows down system uses a lot of memory

Its not Free

Techman said:
-

Needs lot of tweaks for changing UI

This gives you the flexibility to personalise it according to your use.

Techman said:
(ex:

1. the to, cc and bcc option are the most hated ones, you have to individually select mailid

Agreed :eek:hyeah:

Techman said:
2. Replies / forwards looks ugly without customization

This is also a part of customisation and one time effort only. :p

Techman said:
3. No calander, task options)

You can use addons for that like: Lightning :hap2:

Techman said:
Editor is not as good as MS Word

Just your 2c

Techman said:
Exporting is highly difficult, cannot export directly to ms outlook

Not needed if you are not switching time and again.

Otherwise you are having tools for that although bit difficult.... agreed...:cool2:

madhuraj said:
:eek:hyeah: :clap:

...when one replies to any mail, the cursor takes you to the bottom of the mail :( to write the reply whereas in other apps the cursor will be at the top of the mail. Is this some kind of setting :huh:. Can i change it to make it appear on top of the mail when i m replying... ???

Account Settings> Composition & Addressing> Select "Start my reply above the quote" from the drop down menu for the second setting "Automatically quote the original.."

Also try the add on Zindus for syncing gmail contacts.

Naga said:
Account Settings> Composition & Addressing> Select "Start my reply above the quote" from the drop down menu for the second setting "Automatically quote the original.."

Also try the add on Zindus for syncing gmail contacts.

Thanks... :hap2:

Back