Which one's better?? HD 4870 or HD5770

prongcs

Disciple
Hi All

As there are fewer games that support DX 11, i want u guys to suggest me which card should i prefer, Either 4870 or 5770.

Please suggest me on overall performance and value to which i should go.....:hap2:

HD5770 for:-

1. 40nm

2. Very low power consumption

3. Smaller and cool

4. DX11(although can't play DX11 games smoothly)

5. 1GHz and 5.4GHz Core/Memory OC are like NORMAL for this card.

get 5830 if u can stretch a little..

Hey i noticed that 5830 and 5850 are selling with a price difference of 200 bucks, so no point in going for 5830, if you decide to go for a 5850 then the diff is 6-7k and then PSU has to be upgraded to a 550W (assuming you are using 450W or lower power PSU)

point noted and freezed!!:hap2:.. BTW.. what is the cost of HD 5830 in Bangalore(S.P Road)?? and that of 5770??

It'll be better if u guys mention the vendor too in B'lore .......:)

also depends upon the OP's gaming habits...

I don't game much and 5770 plays almost all games at max resoltion with AA turned on. So at this price I don't see why u need to go for 5850 and spend more money..

Agree that new games might not be handled by the 5770 as well but I think with 5770 u can pretty much play all games at 1080p resoltion and all effects turned on (with V Sync, AA and AF turned off)

sh@sh! said:
Hey i noticed that 5830 and 5850 are selling with a price difference of 200 bucks, so no point in going for 5830, if you decide to go for a 5850 then the diff is 6-7k and then PSU has to be upgraded to a 550W (assuming you are using 450W or lower power PSU)

How did you come to that conclusion? A 450w (i.e VX450) can very easily handle a 5850. Hell, it can even handle 5870.

^^ I know that but the power consumption with 5850 comes ~400W(that translates to running a PSU to ~85% of its max load which i think is not a good thing to do) so its better to being on the safe side by increasing the PSU a little, it will be a futureproof investment IMO.

Mephistopheles said:
How did you come to that conclusion? A 450w (i.e VX450) can very easily handle a 5850. Hell, it can even handle 5870.

obviously.... vx450 is very efficient in terms of power consumption and can run 5850 smoothly(not all other 450 watt psu can)... but for a 5870 it would be better to go with a vx550......

sh@sh! said:
^^ I know that but the power consumption with 5850 comes ~400W(that translates to running a PSU to ~85% of its max load which i think is not a good thing to do) so its better to being on the safe side by increasing the PSU a little, it will be a futureproof investment IMO.
It will consume ~400W only at max load, and VX450 can supply 570W
fear unleashed said:
obviously.... vx450 is very efficient in terms of power consumption and can run 5850 smoothly(not all other 450 watt psu can)... but for a 5870 it would be better to go with a vx550......

With a 5870, I highly doubt that the max load will ever exceed ~500W, whereas VX450 can supply 570W at full load.

sh@sh! said:
^^ ok thanks for correcting me. :) but will it deliver 570W for 3-4 hrs of continuous gaming ??
hi sh@sh, could u please suggest me some hardware vendors in b'lore(S.P Road)....:)...

Actually i have been planning to build a new rig in budget 40K to 45K..... and also please suggest a gud config.....:huh:

sh@sh! said:
where??? the difference should be 1-2K, now why will ATI make 5830, if the difference was just of 4$ between 30 and 50 :/

vercetti said:
also depends upon the OP's gaming habits...

I don't game much and 5770 plays almost all games at max resoltion with AA turned on. So at this price I don't see why u need to go for 5850 and spend more money..
Agree that new games might not be handled by the 5770 as well but I think with 5770 u can pretty much play all games at 1080p resoltion and all effects turned on (with V Sync, AA and AF turned off)

recheck !

^^A PSU can be overloaded for a considerably long time but this would -

- drastically decrease the life of the components inside the power supply.

- bring down the efficiency of the power supply. A PSU works at its efficient best when it is loaded to 50% of it's rated wattage. If it's below or above that efficiency takes a hit.

- generates a lot of heat and the fan if PWM controlled, spins at its highest speed which essentially translates to a lot of noise.

As for the OP's query, as everyone else has suggested, the HD5770 makes sense now owing to its lesser thermal footprint, lower power consumption and DX11 support. At stocks however, the 4870 1GB has the lead compared to the HD5770.

^^ that's exactly was my point, anyways thanx for clarifying again :) i myself gonna buy a 5770 this weekend,

Off topic: what do you think going for a stock 5770 like sapphire is good or going for a little OC MSI HAWK is better??

Build quality wise MSI HAWK is the best but i heard it draw a li'le more power than the stock? is it true?

^It should since it comes factory overclocked. That would leave you with lesser headroom for further overclocking and generally, most cards with non-reference coolers tend to run cooler and performs as good as the reference models.

Sapphire is ATI's premium partner for manufacturing graphics cards. And their support is top-notch! Why don't you try the Toxic version from Sapphire if it's available locally.

^^ what's that??
never heard about it:ashamed:

OC version of the normal card??

Actually the shop keeper was telling me that MSI support is not as good as compared to sapphire.
Dang!

anyways thanks for the pointer, will ask about it.

Back