Which one's the best? Bank Account : Savings with Debit Card and Internet Banking

Which bank do you suggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phenomenal

Disciple
Hey,
So I was planning to learn the Banking Process (the basics) and need a new Bank Account for LONG-TERM use.​
I know how to make online transactions and use DC/CC online.​
Have used Amazon,Flipkart,ICICI,Infibeam,IRCTC.​
I am 21,studying.​
Here are my requirements :
  • Easy to operate,Secure & Hassle-free banking with Good Customer Care (24/7 - direct agent preferred) for all types of transactions.Will also use ATM facilities at least 5 times a month.No "extra" hidden charges.
  • For ATM withdrawals and Online Transactions.So a bank using advanced technologies + good CC is what I'm looking for :D
  • Minimum balance - Upto 5K is fine.No marketing gimmicks like "Wealth" or "PREMIUM" account.
  • Need a BASIC Savings A/C with a basic Debit-cum-ATM Card and Internet Banking.
    These are the most important features I need,no messing up here.
  • Virtual Credit Card is also a must.
  • Any other feature you suggest for the LONG-TERM?

My questions :
  • Is it possible to have a Debit-cum-ATM Card with a customized withdrawal limit to avoid fraud or mistakes?
  • What can I expect from most banks out there?
    What are the most common issues and problems you've faced/known/hate?
I already have a passport and PAN card.​
Any other document required?​
Banks that seem to be good from my research,please VERIFY these :
1)SBI​
2)HDFC Bank​
3)Axis Bank​
4)Bank of Baroda​
I hear ICICI CC is pathetic,a relative had a bad experience so I am not going for it.​
I don't mind traveling if the quality of service is good.
So how would you choose a bank?​
Please list/pm any specific website/source you know.​
Your thoughts,experiences,suggestions are MOST WELCOME
icon_biggrin.gif

The level of services offered by banks is directly proportional to the amount of money you possess.

Try for student type account which may provide you an option to set limits on your cards/spending.

SBI is Good For Students.
The transaction Speed is Quite Good and the only Negative point is their long queue lines at the banks.
Most of the Checks Get cleared in 1 Business Day.
No minimum Balance is Required.
There will be annual maintenance fees ( 200 or something)
SBI virtual card is only Valid for INR Transactions.

If your majority transactions are within India , SBI is Best!!
--------------------------------------------------------
Axis has an Minimum balance Requirement of 10k.
No issues while Depositing Money.
They do offer No frills account for students ( last time i checked) with zero balance.
Virtual card is possible via IB.

I hear ICICI CC is pathetic,a relative had a bad experience so I am not going for it.

I am using ICICI for more than 5 years now and am pretty happy with the service so far. Would have recommended it but dunno what went wrong in your case, maybe service quality differs from city to city.

I have been a Long time satisfied user of ICICI Internet Banking for the last 5-6 years since I started Shopping online.
..plus i get regular discount coupons for many Indian shopping sites

SBI is good. their netbanking site also well designed.
if u forget ur net banking password u can get new password within 1 or 2 days.
if atm card lost, within a week it wil get delivered to ur place..

minimum bal - 1000
annual atm charges - 100
monthly sms alert and mobile banking charges - 15
forgot pin - 55
atm card replacement - 200
netbanking forgot pswd or usr name - 100

SBI is good for "anyone". Their minimal balance is probably waived to zero now, at least they advertised that. Their online is kick-a** secure, you need a second password for EFT/beneficiary addition, their distinct gateway is embedded on most Indian portals, and ATMs/branches are more common then paan-waala shops. Plus their pass-book functions as an address proof too.

^ IIRC, SBI is the first bank, in which all saving accounts got converted to zero balance accounts, means, no minimum balance required..

I am a satisfied customer of ICICI, since 2007, never faced any major issues. Also, holding a ICICI MasterCard Creditcard with VISA VCC.

People going gaga over SBI's online facilities please provide feedback if you are having an SBI account and using it too. All the banks advertise that they are the best of the best but the real picture usually something else.

Axis has an Minimum balance Requirement of 10k.
No issues while Depositing Money.
They do offer No frills account for students ( last time i checked) with zero balance.
Virtual card is possible via IB.

In my area they have stopped issuing students acc. When i tried to open one, i was told that its no longer available...

I am using sbi account, netbanking and mobile banking since 3 years +, a happy customer.

In manipal, all banks have zero balance offers.

But for r international shopping sbi cards don't work.

ICICI, HDFC, AXIS bank cards do.

I have never used any other bank except ICICI in last 8 years, but that is probably since ICICI has my salary account. I use its Credit Card, Savings account, Debit cum ATM card.
Personally never faced any problems with ICICI. No idea about minimum balance since mine is a 0 balance one due to it being salary account.
Although other banks might have these features but few things that i liked about ICICI (and hate too sometimes) is that most high value transfers require OTP even for registered payee (at least NEFT), logging from abroad requires OTP and they have local numbers of the country (the popular ones like US, Canada etc) for getting the OTP.
I have never used a ICIC Cheque so cannot comment on clearing of those.
I use ICICI Internet banking to pay my electricity and LIC bills.

People going gaga over SBI's online facilities please provide feedback if you are having an SBI account and using it too. All the banks advertise that they are the best of the best but the real picture usually something else.

I am using it. It is fine. I have used CITI/HDFC/ICICI portals. CITI is the best. Then SBI. Security is strong. Basically you cannot do 'anything' important without the verification SMS which is generated at run-time.

I am using it. It is fine. I have used CITI/HDFC/ICICI portals. CITI is the best. Then SBI. Security is strong. Basically you cannot do 'anything' important without the verification SMS which is generated at run-time.

What happens if one is outside the country with the Indian SIM card and say the message never arrives, some way to call some place and verify ourselves and get the OTP or something similar ? Asking because i have faced this issue abroad, would never receive SMS on my Indian mobile number and i had to call local ICICI customer care number to get the OTP.

sbi too launched self otp generation app like i-safe. Also almost all the mobile banking apps continue to work even when you change the sim card.. except bob!

Back