Which Refrigerator to purchase ?

Hmm..a detailed query:

My AC technician, and several friends feels that Korean brands (LG, Samsung) have drastically reduced prices by making inferior quality products which last much less than older brands. These older brands too have followed suit to stay in competition in the case of some products.

A visit to any consumer shop: LG and Samsung have flooded the market...dealers highly recommend these...not sure if this is due to more commision, or sheer fact that these are priced better and so sell better.

Query: I need to buy a refrigerator with atleast 350 ltr capacity. Is the poor quality thing true for LG, Samsung refrigerators too

Customer Review sites: People have faced poor service from Godrej, LG, Samsung etc. Impression: If your luck is bad, you may get a bad product from any company and the after sales service is usually bad.

Would it then be wise to just go for a model which is ideal for my requirements in terms of storage capacity and price...or does the brand matter?

Time to take notice of Videocon, though it's too from china.

Till today I didn't hear any bad about Samsung refrigerators.

+1 for samsung, as friend purchased Samsung Referigerator for 23.5k in Last November. so far no problem.

-1 for Godrej, noticed water leaking problem just within a year of purchase.

Trust local OLD dealer where you usually buy electronics stuff.

blr_p said:
i've read that's amongst the first things to stop working, especially the ones that dispense without opening the door.

Possibly, but mine has the ice maker inside the freezer compartment. It's basically a simple ice tray which rotates and drops the ice into an ice box as and when it's frozen. My girlfriend's had the same fridge (in a larger capacity) for 1.5 years now and the ice maker functions like a charm. Check out the fridge for yourself at any Vijay Sales and you'll immediately notice the difference in quality I'm talking about.

I would not go with the base models of Samsung or LG. It's true about the quality i.e. there has been a reduction to keep prices low. I recently visited a showroom and was surprised to see even the lack of colour among models. Everything was silver grey or dark grey.

I don't know if this might hold good in your location, but I purchased a 400 ltr Whirlpool imported model (made in Brazil) with steel finish and everything from the build quality to the cooling is fantastic. Maybe you can look at Toshiba. They might have some good models but whether they will be around for service in another 6-7 years is a big question(my old Daewoo fridge in Bombay could not be serviced as the company no longer exists. I had to exchange it for another).

I agree on doubts as regards after sales service from Toshiba, Sharp etc. That is probably the strong point with LG and Samsung. Atleast there are plenty of service providers (though the actual quality of service provided is poor, judging from the net based customer reviews).

According to most reviews Godrej and Kelvinator refrigerators from 10-15 years back have served people exceptionally well, but people have expressed that their quality is now just as poor.

My choice is still between these four: Godrej and Kelvinator (now Electrolux) and Samsung and LG...Any strong opinions?

tracerbullet said:
Possibly, but mine has the ice maker inside the freezer compartment. It's basically a simple ice tray which rotates and drops the ice into an ice box as and when it's frozen.

This is not the type i'm referring to, your's is quite simple and i don't think you will have much problems with it.

I've seen this type on many other brands as well, works and is simple to maintain.

vijaysurendran said:
Thanks Vijay...link was informative,though i need larger capacity. But i used the Compare India site to kindof make up my mind towards a LG refrigerator...GL-408DMQG4. It has a gross capacity of 390 ltrs and has the green ion door cooling.

There is another model called GL-405DMQG4, which has exactly the same features as the aforementioned, except that instead of 'green ion door cooling', it has technology for just 'door cooling'. This model costs 4000 less.

Now the green ion technology is being widely advertized and supposedly it releases some ions called green catechin (extract of green tea) which fight bacteria and fungi and keep food fresher for longer.

Now how does one tell if this is just an 'eye catcher gimmick' and a mode to raise price of product, or is the xtra 4000 worth it???

vijaysurendran said:
whirlpool is not a good brand we have a 280 litre frost free fridge which just went bad out of the blue .

for no reason! and spares cost a lot .the cost of our fridge was 18k and we spet 5 k for the spares already.

go for LG or samsung i think is a safer bet.

dude,jus coz u had a problem doesn't mean the BRAND IS BAD!?

they are one of the pioneers in refgs. & washing machines...

ive been using a whirlpool refg. for quite sometime now..

no probs whatsoever and it does its job well!

moreover the build quality is good & its priced well.

Try to find any make but not manufactured in india, try to find which is manufactured in indonesia, malysia,brazil.
I never preffer any item which is manufactured in india even by multinational giant everything worst from scratch to end

so what is your opinion on my query on the 2 LG models guys?:no:

'green ion door cooling' versus simple 'door cooling' without the green ion technology...cost difference Rs.4000::(

Finally decided to go for the LG GL-408 YMQG model (with green ion door cooling and gross outer volume 390 ltrs).

But a visit to nearby dealers in delhi was a shocker. this model, advertized on the official LG site and also compared in 'Compare India' is no longer being made by the company. They have shifted to 408 YVQG (V stands for vinyl finish) and 408 YTQG (T stands for titanium finish) models (M in the earlier YMQG stood for metallic finish).

It is not clear as to whether there are any other advances that these models have as compared to the earlier model. But the price quoted by the shops (best price quoted was Rs.25,400) is higher than what is quoted on Compare India for the older model (Rs.24,000). These newer models are not present on 'Compare India'!

dokdindel said:
... But the price quoted by the shops (best price quoted was Rs.25,400) is higher than what is quoted on Compare India for the older model (Rs.24,000). These newer models are not present on 'Compare India'!

compareindia prices may be excluding taxes ...

Its inclusive of all taxes. Their price is available only from a few shops. Not all shops will give the same price. You can click on the "See all stores" link (just below the price) to know the dealers who will supply at those prices.

Raghu.

Got a panasonic 299l yesterday for 25K. No idea how it will compare to others. :p Is there a freezermark benchmark available? :eek:hyeah:

Back